Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New zealand today

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New zealand today

It was in 2010 that we took our first crusie to New Zealand, berthing in Lyttleton we took the coach into Christchurch. At that time it bwas considered to be the most English city outside of England. A city with the Cathederal being the central point, a gentle flowing river making it a most wonderful city.

It was Boxing day and as we arrived a service was in progress in the Cathederal, so we decided to see some of the city and return later for a tour of this church. A few minutes later as we stood in the mall an earthquake took place, we were not to get the tour. Little did we or any one realise this was the precursor to the big one in the following February.

Tow further cruises but we did not go back to Christchurch, this year we decide we would. The ship dropped anchor in the Akarao lagoon, what once was the top of a volcano. Akaroa was first established by the French as a whaling port before being taken over by the British as a colony. Evidence of the French still exists with many roads and building having French names. The population is about 800 swelling to three times that during the summer period. Those who see Akaroa for the first time are convinced they have arrived in heaven, such is the beauty of this place.

Taking the tender ashore we then boarded the coach to Christchurch, a 90 minute journey. It is through some of the finest countryside seen anywhere in the world. Rolling hills with sheep grazing whilst in the lower reaches gentle streams trickle by. The road twists and turns slowing the coach but giving the traveler time to appreciate the beauty of the land. Beauty that many say can only be seen in countries such as England in the summer months and one could well believe that fact. For many New Zealand is just an extension of England but with better weather.

The outer suburbs of Christchurch show little evidence of the quake, it is only as you reach the city centre it becomes evident just how bad it must have been. There are parts still looking much like a war zone, whilst in other parts giant cranes crowd the skyline with jibs extended like the necks on some prehistoric creatures.

The Cathederal once the city icon is now a shadow of its former glory, gone the magnificent spire and entry portico. Weeds abound where once flowers bloomed, the silence around is palpable. Currently there are three proposals as to the future of this church. Demolish and rebuild with new materials. Rebuild using the stone and bricks from the current church. Repair the church and bring it back to the former state. To date no decision has been made.

We ventured to the Mall, the point at which we stood when the quake hit. Gone the shops that once stood there, replaced by the beginings of new ones. No more stone and brick, now all steel and glass expected to withstand any future shocks with less damage. When the big one hit 755 of all the listed buildings were destroyed, those that survived were made of wood, better equipped to withstand the shock.

The only building to survive there was the department store. It was the owner of this store that told other retailers life must go on. It was his idea to build what is now 'Container City'.A collection of shipping containers that have been converted into shops, cafes and restaurants some even two storey. To the customer once inside would not believe they were not in any normal shopping strip. It has become the centre of the city once again attracting locals and tourists alike. In time the land on which it stands will be used to build new permanent shops and offices. "Container City' will then be moved to another part of town to become part of a tourist precinct.

The land on which the Canterbury Radio Station stood, where over 100 perished, is still an open plot of land. Planter boxes full of local blooms adorn the place. Many would wish to see this as the ideal spot for a permanent memorial to all those who perished in the quake of February 2011.

Close by one of the most outstanding efforts of a city on the mend. A Cathederal made entirely of cardboard. This 'A' shaped structure the concept and gift to the city by a Japanese architect. It is hard to comprehend that this building is made entirely of cardboard. Large rolls hold up the roof, the base held in place by shipping container sides covered in cardboard. The outer covered in a plastic compound which the architect said will keep this building useable for some 50 years.

The city lives on and the people have become accustomed to the current situation, hoiday makers sitting by the river where punts gently float by, children playing on the grass, ducks plying their way along the water. Hard to imagine the city any other way.

The cardboard Cathederal combined with 'Container City' show how by thinking outside the square great disasters can be overcome. I have no doubt that should |I return again in some five years or so there will have been some great even better achievements obtained.

By then it is anticipated Lyttelton harbor will be once again open for trade. It is estimated that this was the epicenter of the big one leaving Lyttleton in a worse state than Christchurch. The fortitude of the New Zealand people is something to be admired, no amount of conflict will hold them back.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New zealand today

I was in Christchurch a few weeks before the big quake, a truly lovely city, had a meal on the tram that ran round the city centre, used to eat breakfast in the cathedral cafe ,now all gone. New Zealand is the only country that could tempt me to leave the UK, too old now anyway, but a beautiful country, with lovely people, and they are pretty good at rugby as well!! KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the terrorists trying to convert the world today ever get amongst the sheep and convert them, it will cause a bit of a flap, 32 million sheep against 4 million population is not good odds. Joking aside Keith is a beautiful country and was there last year touring around both Islands. The only thing that I got a sense of was the smallest of things the same as I had that feeling about UK as being hemmed in all the time. I probably suffer from some type of Phobia as always dreaded going down tank spaces on ships, and used to put the manhole covers well away from the openings. Roads go from A to B and in some cases no alternatives and as we had a couple of rockslides had to be diverted to other townships and not those on the manifest. But was a great sightseeing tour and well worth the money. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sheep population is down a little now from 69 million in about 1990 to some 56 million now. They no longer dock the tails of sheep now, so you see them with long tails. It is estimated there are about 89 million Possums. The skin of a good one now is worth about $30. Sold to China, where else you may well ask, they ae mixed with other fibers top produce some of the finest clothing. The meat is also used in pies. Whilst Possums in Oz are protected by law they are considered a pest in NZ, and yes they oroginaly came from Oz.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have activated some memory cells there in the early fifties, only way to Christchurch was by road round the mountain (it seemed like one anyway)
    by taxi and return by walking through the railway tunnel a bit scary, £7 pounds a month wouldn't stretch to two taxi rides, I see by Google Earth
    there is now a road tunnel, pity there wasn't one there 60/65 years ago.

F.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

frederick, back in 1956 you could catch the train into christchurch, i did it with a mate of mine to see what the best looking city in NZ, was like. we got into the town center where the green was and went into a cafe for something to eat, we ordered an omelette and chips with a milk shake, i have never seen such a large meal in all my life, the omelette covered the plate ( we would call it a serving salver) and the milkshake was twice the size of any i had had before. price was so cheap that we wondered if they had made mistake on the bill. it was a great meal and one i have never forgotton.
    keith moody
    R635978

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dairying is the thing today -- however there are huge problems with the effluent run off polluting rivers and streams and getting into the water tables. Also there are growing concerns about the amount of investment by China in the dairying industry -- they are buying up big, some farms are now milking 20 000 to 30 000 cows a day with fully automated milking systems that just need a couple of men to look after, and all the profits going back to China. Regards Peter in NZ.

10. Thanks Evan Lewis, N/A, Captain Kong, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

# 1 John, The Radio station building is now the subject of a prosecution of the Structural Design Engineer and the Consulting Engineering company involved. It appears the design was totally under strength even without an earthquake to knock it over. There is some speculation that some of the design team had no real qualifications or experience to do that type of design work. Regards Peter in NZ.

12. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    We lived in Christchurch for twelve months in 1949/50, there used to be plenty of shaking going on, and not the rock and roll type. We would lay in bed and the bed used to roll like there were waves underneath. Christchurch is built on a swamp hence the ooze that seeped up during the big quake. We only went though the tunnel on the train once my wife was too scared to go again. We moved to Auckland not as bad for earthquakes but we felt quiet a few while we lived there.
    Cheers Des

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des, I have had more shakes in one weekend in Christchurch than 50 years in Auckland -- where in Auckland did you live ? I had an overnight stay at an Airport Hotel at Narita Airport ( Tokyo ) two nights after the Fukushima quake and was tossed out of bed twice during the night -- the hotel staff thought it was hilarious !! Regards Peter in NZ.

16. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast