Thread: The eternal city

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The eternal city

ROME AND BEYOND

Leaving Corsica was nothing new untilsome time later that evening when I observed three naval vesselsabout one nautical mile from us. From observation with binoculars Icould see no flags or evidence of nationality so from which countrywas a mystery but on speaking with my BR he indicated most likelyItaly. He then went on to say that in the week previous a Princesscruise ship had picked up some 300 souls from a sinking wooden boat,engine rooted. They were taken aboard, fed, watered and bedded forthe night. Authorities were notified and next morning a Naval vesseltook them aboard and returned them to the shores of Libya from whencethey came. Life in the Mediterranean is tough just now.

We docked at Civitavecchia the mainport for Rome at 0600 hours on a bright sunny morning, the coach rideto Rome will tale some 90 minutes.
    The journey through the outer suburbsshowed a country where the locals take care of their environment,clean, free of rubbish and graffiti. Surprisingly traffic was not ashigh as I had anticipated
    and what there was flowed freely.

Our tour was to take us to many of thecity's most famous points but time constraints meant that visits tosome may not be possible. One such was the Colosseum though a photostop was possible. This grandest of all Rome's monuments is currentlyundergoing some major repair work and at 1000 hours the queue toenter was some 5 hours long. For those on a tour to it would ofcourse be allowed entrance without delay. Built in the 1stcentury the architecture and design of this monument is a credit tothe building skills of times long past, the largest amphitheaterbuilt any where in the world, as are so many other places of interestin Rome, indeed the eternal city. At the time of construction of theColosseum the population of Rome was in the order of one million,much of the heavy lifting on the Colosseum and other monuments wasconducted by slaves brought in from countries Rome had conquered.
    An arena where gladiators fought to thedeath, chariot races and even sea battles have been fought in here.
    A city where hot water baths, aqueductsto carry water, bridges over the River Tiber are all aspects of Romanengineering and architecture.
    The Spanish steps is the site of Rome'smost beautiful and spectacular staircase designed in the Baroquestyle in a butterfly concept.

Trevi Fountain, one of many within thecity and maybe the worlds most well known, throw a coin over yourshoulder into this fountain and you will return again to Rome thestory goes. Sadly today this is not possible, Trevi is in the middleof a drought. Like so many other monuments in Rome it requiresregular updating and repair work such as is currently being carriedout. But despite this the architecture and designed can still beappreciated to the full.

The Pantheon is one of the bestpreserved monuments within the eternal city. This cylindricalbuilding with domed roof and 16 towering columns built more than 1800years ago is truly an awe inspiring look at history and Romanarchitecture.

Piazza Navona is surely the main focalpoint of the city, a square with an electric atmosphere to it,musicians playing tunes to delight all, whilst outdoor cafes welcomeall to experience their goods. Leading from it small lane ways thatappear to call to the visitor, come explore here and see what we haveto show you, curving away from the Piazza they compel by their verynature to draw the visitor in. To one side a church, not on the listof visiting places but one that caught my eye. Whilst the remainderof the group were being entertained by the local buskers I venturedforth to explore it.

From the outside it appeared as anyother church would but at the door stood a man, the door man nodoubt, looking more like a member of the Mafia with his tailored suitand dark glasses. A large sign saying 'no photographs' adorned thenotice board. I decided to venture in opening the second door andwhat I saw was amazing. My comment on entering was 'Holy SH 1 t', alady close by said yes it sure is.

Here was something I had neveranticipated, whilst being a church it was also one of the finestpieces of architecture in Rome. I was bedazzled by the colors in theart work, the stained glass windows, the mosaic dome reaching highabove the altar. Here was a work of art to compare with any others inthe world. I managed two photos before the Mafia man entered.
    Returning to the group I enquired ofthe guide as to why it was not on the list of places to visit. Herreply, some do not like going into churches so it is not included.This is more than just a church, this is a work of art that allshould have the opportunity to view.

All around the city fountains play,there are dozens to be seen all with drinkable water. In the heat ofa Roman day most welcoming to cool the body. There are so many piecesof sculpture, architecture and places of interest that one needs aweek to see and enjoy all, the small part we observed has given abetter understanding of the heritage left by the Romans, a nationwith skills now long lost and possibly never to be repeated at anytime.

The last port of call for the day,Vatican City. Entrance gives the impression one is entering afortress such is the security. Once inside one can see the square sooften viewed on TV. A complete city state with a number of smallshops, offices and accommodation for all those who live and workthere. As with all aspects of Rome the crowds gather but how many arethere for the architecture and culture as opposed to those who justwish to say they had been there.
    The Swiss guards resplendent in theirmost colorful uniforms keep the crowds in place, an orderly queue toview the Sistine Chapel. It is here in St. Peters square where it isclaimed he was martyred and buried . But no doubt the highlight ofany visit to Vatican City is to see the dome of the Basilica. The artwork is beyond belief and it is not hard to imagine the work inhours, weeks, months and years spent on this by Michelangelo, a manof such talent as the world may never again see. Combined with thefountains and imposing semicircular colonnades Vatican is an imposingcity to visit.

The chairs in the square, thoughsomewhat worn in parts from constant wear as the faithful gather tohear the weekly address from the Pope, and the special ones on holydays. There for all to see the balcony, maybe one of the worlds mostfamous, where Pappa Francis, and so many before him do their Old ManSpooky and the Kid bit.

PISA FLORENCE

For many this the city of so many worksof art dating back so many centuries.
    The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiorewith the largest masonry dome in the world built in the 1430's, andthe bronze doors of the Baptistery dubbed by Michelangelo as ' thegates to paradise'. His statue of David in the academy of fine artsis another on the many wondrous art works.

But maybe the most well known the'Leaning Tower of Pisa'. This tower, building commenced in 1173taking some 177 years to complete, sits in the field of miracles withPisa's Campo del Miracoli is home to the Duomo, Baptistery, CampoSantano.

It is the bell tower for the adjacentDuomo the medieval cathedral and like all other buildings in thefield of miracles is constructed using alternating Grey and whitestone. Some 296 steps lead the visitor to the top of this edificeconstructed on unstable foundations. It took many years of extremeengineering skills to stabilize this tower to the point it is today.It has been underpinned with many meters of concrete and isanticipated to stand for centuries to come.

For those who for many years had lookedpictures of this may well be disappointed for whilst it is a greatfeat of engineering skill of that era it does not have the grandeurone may well expect, something of an anti climax. The Ponte Vecchioover the river Arno now looks somewhat out of place in them modernworld, more suited to medieval times than the modern world, but onceagain a fine specimen of Italian architecture.

So onward, ever onward we mustgo............................
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The eternal city

Hi John
    Once gain mate you have posted a wealth of information on your recent trip!
    You as I have said so many times have that knack of putting your experiences into Words ,something that becomes you and a few others here on site!

As far when you were leaving Corsica,i am almost sure that one of those War Vessels was the HMAS Anzac,as the young Lady I have talked of in other Posts was there about the time you and Terri were!
    Possibly the Ship was part of the International Contingent that were in that part ,they had done their Gallopoli Tour before!

Courtney has been keeping in touch with me as they do their 5 Months Tour of Duty!
    She had been with some of the Other Crew to parts of Spain that you mention too,and also told me that they went to see the FFL Fort that overlooks the Harbour at Corsica!
    Did you see or visit it at all?

Anyway again thanks for the post! I love reading your travels.
    Cheers

The 9th century citadel that most recently was an administrative center for the French Foreign Legion,
    today it is more of a museum.
    citadelle-de-bonifacio-houses-corse-sud.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th July 2015 at 06:34 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post