Thread: Bali and beyond

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bali and beyond

Leaving Singapore and looking at all the shipping in the roads brought back many a fond memory of time long past. So many ships awaiting a berth, even KGV in the height of business could never muster as many ships as I now saw. It was some two hours after leaving the quayside before the line of ships came to an end.

Our cruise ship the ‘Sapphire Princess’ was built by Mitsubishi in Japan and delivered, no doubt gift wrapped in 2004. Unlike most of the companies other ships all registered in Nassau this one is registered in London. Flying proudly from her stern jack the Red Ensign. The captain, Craig Street, is from Norfolk with the chief and staff engineers both British. Two of the other deck officers were also British as were a number of other senior crewmembers.
    She is a ship of some 116,000 tons with a passenger compliment of 2670, of which about 1200 were Australian. There were also some 300 UK citizens who had flown down to Singapore to join her for Christmas New Year. There were a number of American and people from Canada, NZ, Japan, China, France, Belgium and a number of other small EU nations. There were however 300 of the most arrogant, aggressive, rude, and generally despicable Russians. Even the few Russian crew on board could not stand them.

On all Princess cruise ships there is a ‘Wheelhouse’ bar, this is laid out very much like a British pub. Long counter, dance floor and a band playing. On all of the company ships this is one of the most popular bars. Service may be gained by going to the bar, but most choose to use the waiter service, which is excellent.
    The British passengers on board had the bar crew and many of the other passengers in amazement at their use of the bar. Waiter service was not for them, up to the bar for the order, then when requiring a refill would take the dirty glass back to the bar. I guess old habits die hard.

Two pleasant days at sea were to follow including New Years Eve. As is the case with all cruises at this time of year the festivities are excellent, this was to be no different. The weather up until then had been good with a force 3 and calm seas though we were warned of possible showers.

At 2200 hours the giant screen on deck was showing the festivities from Wellington in NZ. They are one of the first countries to see the New Year in. For this occasion we celebrated as all good persons do. Then at midnight came our turn to celebrate. As the last second ticked away the rain came, not the shower as promised but a full downpour. Thankfully it lasted on about ten seconds but long enough to soak most on deck. But not to be deterred we continued with the celebration, as all good celebrators should. Below in the atrium the balloon drop had occurred in the dry, some thing for the feint hearted maybe? We continued well into the early morn, then at 0800 hours the sight of Trafalgar square came up on the big screen, time for more celebrations, then to add to this some 6 hours later the Time Ball drop from NY. All these celebrations were in good order, more than can be said for my on board account.

Arrival at Benoa, Bali was uneventful and passage ashore was by tender. Five of the ships lifeboats as well as two local craft were used. Once ashore the decision on
    where to go, Kuta or Sanur both being the closest or should we venture further. Having spent some10 holidays in Bali over the years we decided on Kuta. Two other people going our way agreed to share the taxi at a cost of $5 dollars each.

Since the Bali bombings much of the island has changed, not in design but in character. There is now far more awareness of situations and conditions. We walked the roads taking in some of the shops until we arrived at the shrine now well established to commemorate the disaster. We had the year after visited the site but at that time the memorial was in its’ infancy, now it stands as an emotional reminder of that horrific night in 2002.
    Now another taxi had to be hired for our return to the ship. The driver demanded a payment of $30 for the two of us, but as is always the case never accept the first offer, I told him $15. When I told him we had only paid $10 coming out he declared that his taxi was air- conditioned. I then told him the one we came out in was also air-conditioned. I then informed him the one coming out was also, the windows were open. This brought a smile to his face so he agreed to the $15. Once aboard we set sail for Malaysia and the port of Kelang for the city of Kuala Lumpur.

Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Richard Quartermaine, N/A, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bali and beyond

John a lot of those smaller ships if in the eastern anchorage would probably be lying there with a skeleton crew waiting for charters on the spot market. I lay out there for almost 12 weeks and only went in for Fresh water when necessary. At Lous unfavourite place where he spent all those years as a POW. This place is now a supply boat base. Loyang as now called. Ships used to lie there 4 and 5 abreast and when got too crowded were sent out to anchorage. When I flew out to Oz in 1991 looking down at all the shipping at anchor said to the wife that is probably where I will finish up, didn't know how true that would be as spent some time taking ships down from ,to Oz, and back again to Singapore when job finished. Pleased you had a good holiday, all the best John S

4. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post