Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Road Trip

A week ago last sunday, Brenda and I took a road trip to Massachusetts, to see my Daughter and her family, who we have not seen for over a year. Leaving early, we crossed the St Lawrence seaway into New York state. Continued down through the islands of lake Champlain and into Vermont to pick up the interstate highway. Through Vermont, New Hampshire and into Massachusetts. Finally, after close to 500 miles and about 9 hours driving, thanks to the GPS, we arrived at the town of Boxford. On Monday my daughter took us into Gloucester for a three hour boat tour of the gloucester area, The towns of Gloucester and Rockport are on an island, so the tour takes you around the whole area. Lots of interesting points of interest and many lighthouses around the whole island......Sorry, i"m not proficient enough yet to upload photos and such onto the site. One Island and lighthouses (2) i found really neat was on Thatcher Island, (Google it for history) first lights built in 1771, rebuilt in1861 at a height of 124 ft.. It was a hot sunny day, 88 f, no breeze, and very humid away from the coast. On wednesday, she and one of the grandsons, took us to Salem, where we took another tour (2hrs) on a replica schooner, 11 years old, "The Fame" also on google. Once clear of the Bouy channel the sails were hoisted and we had a good wind and had an enjoyable sail for over an hour. In all a great two days on and around the sea. Unfortunately the hurricain Andrew was lurking around the New England coastline and we got the tail end of it Thursday night and all day Friday, quite heavy rain at times. This lasted until about an hour before we left on Saturday morning for the drive home. Turned out sunny and hot. Took a different route, through the Mass turnpike system into New York State and up to the thousand island bridge crossing at Ivy Lea and back into Canada, roughly another 500 miles and nine or so hours. In all a great trip, seeing family, spending time with the grandsons and revisiting areas I have'nt seen for quite a few years...
    regards, Stan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Road Trip

Hi Stan
    Makes my trip to Fleetwood to see William frying his bacon Barms look like nothing.
    Good trip you did, some nice scenery there and around the Thousand Islands.
    I always wanted to get around the Gloucester/ Salem area. but never made it, one day.......
    Thanks for sharing
    Cheers
    Brian.

3. Thanks Stan Carter thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome back Capt
    Hope you had a good and relaxing time away from all us mad bunch! LOL!
    Cheers

PS Was Mack there? haha! Sorry!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi Stan
    Makes my trip to Fleetwood to see William frying his bacon Barms look like nothing.
    Good trip you did, some nice scenery there and around the Thousand Islands.
    I always wanted to get around the Gloucester/ Salem area. but never made it, one day.......
    Thanks for sharing
    Cheers
    Brian.
    you ever considered training Anne to make them, save atrip or two!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is not fair to Anne , John . She probably sends him to Wiliam's so she can get some peace
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stan, uploading photos is a knack on this site.

This is what I have worked out to suit me:

Open your photo with (I use the free InfranView)
    Select Image in Menu bar
    Go down to Resize/Resample
    Click in box 'Width' and enter say 800 megapixels
    Click on 'File' and go to 'Save As'
    At the top of the box enter 'Desktop' (where it will then be saved for convenience)
    It should show 'jpg' further down in the same box
    Click on 'Save'
    Next:
    Open your MN link ready to type a post
    After typing left click on 'Go Advanced'
    Click on 'Manage Attachments"
    From the Box that opens click on 'Add Files'
    Then 'Browse' for 'Desktop' and 'Choose' the photo 'Select' and 'Upload'

Not wanting to read on any toes but this works well for me.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 10th July 2014 at 06:27 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

9. Thanks Stan Carter thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had quite a few Road Trips around Australia and the States, , On one we left Sydney in a camper van, for the Blue Montains to Katoomba, where Richard lives, then on through Orange.. Dubo, Wellington and into the underground caverns. then headed west to Cobo beyond the Black Stump and then to Broken Hill, up to Silverton a `Ghost Town` just one pub, the Silverton Hotel, with an ugly barmaid who was also very interesting to talk to. The Hotel was made famous in the old Four XXXX beer advertising on TV. There a grave of a young woman in the middle of the dusty street covered in chicken wire. Now a few artist are living in the abandoned town. Lots of wild camels lying in the road to stop you. We came back to Sydney via Mildura, became a member of the Working mens Club there, they have the longest bar in the world at the time. 300 feet long. We sailed on the Mighty Murray River on a side wheeler and then to Bendigo and then along the Murray to the Snowy River and Albury Woodonga.
    Then I took a wrong turning and went up Mount Kosziosko, I couldnt stop, turn round or any thing but keep on going up. Anne turned white, alongside her was a sheer drop of a couple of thousand feet, my side was scraping the side of the mountain, eventually we got to the top of the track and started to go down, and eventually came to a campsite, the Boss said which way did you come here, I said `Over the top of the mountain. he says no one has ever come that way before, it is only a sheep track.
    We carried on the next day stopped at my neice`s house in Corramel near Wollongong, and finished up in Sydney again. Over 3000 Ks.
    Another time we drove up to Alice Springs, in a camper van, for a few days then the 600Ks trip to the Rock, we stayed overnight on the way and a Stockman who was looking for work made us some Damper Bread and Billy Tea, great it was too. then we emptied a litre of Scotch whisky. It was fantastic sat under the stars a million miles from anywhere..
    Stayed at Ullaru for a couple of days, very interesting place, on the way back we called at Kings Canyon and walked the full length of it, We very nearly dehydrated on that walk, the heat was terrific and even tho` we carried a few litres of water we were nearly in a state of collapse at the end of it.

Then in Western Australia we went up the west coast through Geraldton on to Murchison River, Shark Bay, Caernarvon and on to Dampier and Karratha. A man in the bar said there was a good pub out in the desert, The Whim Creek Hotel, about 130 miles out, So we went. A long hot drive, no traffic on the road all the way. When we got there, there was only the hotel , The town had got caught in a Cyclone and had disappeared, the pub was still there. I went to the bar for a cool beer, the Temp. was up in the 40s, The boss said, sorry mate , no beer, the beer truck is two weeks late. We settled for a cup of tea and drove another 140 miles to Port Headland. Stayed there for a couple of days , looked at the Illegals behind barbed wire, They had a choice, stay in there or go back home,

On the way back we drove through Tom Price, the iron mountain that is fast disapearing to China.
    Another interesting place was, Pains Find, population two, we doubled the population overnight. then back to Perth going down South to Margaret River, to Cape Lieuwin lighthouse and then Albany. Stayed there for a couple of days, visited the old Whaling Station, then continued along the south coast to Esperance. After a night there drove North up to a small place named after a horse, Norseman, that had discovered gold, now the town was in dire straits, the gold had run out, so no money just a couple of pubs and a couple of fly covered drongos sat around the bar thinking of the old days. It was near the end of the Nullabar track
    Then we went up to Kalgoorley, the big Gold town. interesting place. we visited the Mine. one of the biggest holes in the ground in the world. There is a viewing platform, an amazing place, well worth a visit.
    Hay Street had the starting stalls, the brothels, and one big brothel was open to visitors for guided tours, I wanted to go in but Anne said NO I may get ideas. One big pub there, The Exchange Hotel, had topless barmaids one day and bottomless barmaids the next. Interesting.
    Then we drove through Southern Cross and back to Perth. That covered over 8,000 Kilometers.
    I would do it all again

I did quite a bit all through Oregon, Washington State, including climbing Mount St. Helens, an Awesome place. then up the Puget Sound to Vancouver and across to Calgary and the Ice field Parkway through the Rockies to Banff and Jasper and back then back over the Rockies and down into Vancouver again then back to Seattle.
    After that we did the California Coast to San Diego over the mountains to Yuma, then North through Arizona to Lake Havasu to London Bridge and then across to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and into Utah, we came back through Sedona and into Scottsdale near Phoenix. We stayed with some friends and then down to Tucson and to Yuma and San Diego where my son was living then to Long Beach stayed on the old Queen Mary for a few days then to LA for the plane back.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well brian i was blody knackered reading it never mind doing it.....respects to you......will tell about my run acroos south oz with a half loaf of ships bread and a bottle of water and people who were helping me against the cops ......and the goings on but must make sure i get it right......felt like jesse james ...but good character building stuff..regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a beauty, Brian and Cappy mate I'm looking forward to your story of being a fugitive. (And for cursing the rotten lot that took you from us).

I'll put together my road trip from Ford, Detroit to LA via Route 66 when I left Canada in the Fall of 1955 delivering a new Ford Fairlane convertible to a dealer, for only the cost of gas,

There must be a lot of stories out there that need airing and sharing.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

13. Likes cappy, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Brian tells it travelling around Oz can be fraught with danger at times. There are some wonderful places such as Coober Pedy where it is so hot they all live underground. Climbing Ayers Rock or going out to Mount Olga and standing at the top, it is like standing on the moon, not a sound can be heard. The vastness of the dessert is unimaginable unless you have seen it, road houses out in the middle of no where and road trains that are so long you wonder where the end of them is. Snakes and roos, Emu and wild camels you just never know what you will see next.

We stopped at the side of the road for a rest, her indoors got out, no one ever got back so quick. Stepped on a snake sleeping in the sun. You sure need your witts about you out there.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast