Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Road Trip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Road Trip

The past couple of weekends have been to Geraldton and Kalgoorlie. Geraldton went in someones car and stayed the weekend. Some of them drove from Perth and Back the same day. Same in Kalgoorlie up and back same day, is over 700 kilometres, and 7 hours on the train. Dont think I would like to do it. Tomorow going to a place called Narrogin, and taking the wife with me as expect/hope to be entertained lavishly with intoxicating beverages, and as I wont be driving she insists on the night in a motel, her excuse is all the kangaroos on the road at night and also the Road trains. What gets me it is only just over a 2 hour drive, and if I hadnt her with me would of drove back myself stone cold sober. So is a choice of having a drink and staying overnight or going there sober and coming back sober, So I'm stuck with the expense of it, Marions punctuation joke is quite correct, women keep you poor. cheers JS

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Richard Quartermaine, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    So you didnt get the chance to go down Hay Street and do the tour de bordello.
    Has the Exchange hotel been sold yet?? is it still open.?
    Enjoy your trip, been around there many times and love it. The real OZ.

Cheers
    bRIAN

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Didnt get a chance Brian, went to Montys for breakfast on the Sunday morning think thats on the other corner across the road, didnt seem to be closed, but suppose could of been. Strictly limited on movements when wives and girlfriends are present. Even found that a long train ride even Capt. Phillips did nothing to soften the journey, watched most of the other films instead, cant even remember what they were. Getting soft in old age, getting to prefer to sit at home with a bottle of whiskey, only the tots would be getting counted. When you think back to what we used to do, all night, wine women and song, now we finish up close to being wimps. Fancy having to have had a lifetime of living ashore, however some must like it. At sea now you dont have the wife watching you, you have some spy from the office, ready to run to the office for brownie points. Life aint wot it used to be. Hope you enjoyed your bacon sarnies at Williams. Cheers John S.

6. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put the car on the car carrier on the back on the 'Indian-Pacific' transcontinental train in Perth and three days later in Sydney we drove 'ashore". Great trip, don't know about now but at school we were told there was an absolutely straight section of 300 miles across the Nullarbor (no trees) Plain. Good food, good company, good grog, good cabin, fantasic outlook, and hour stopover in Kalgoorlie with a bus ride thrown in. Drove back to Perth, this was in the early 80s and there was not much traffic then but the road was sealed. Did three more trips there and back and did the last in 1987 towing a caravan on the way to these Blue Mountains.
    There was a lady who came out from Liverpool, England 20 years earlier with about fifty quid who set up illegal brothels in Perth and accepted ones in Kalgoorlie and was reputed to be the wealthiest woman in Oz in her hay day. It goes to prove there's more than fodder in the hay (and buses in Hay Street, Kalgoorlie). Come to think of it I wonder if she employed a Scouse scout.
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 11th July 2014 at 11:38 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

8. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2