Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kongs trip around the world 2014

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kongs trip around the world 2014

Here is the story of our trip round the planet.
    We flew to Miami Fla. on 2 January 2014 and were met by three Reps of Holland America who took the two of us to the Hilton in Fort Lauderdale, in a big Limo, for the night. What a good reception just for us two.
    Next day they took us to Port Everglades to join the Amsterdam, 60,000 grt. and 970 passengers. I had booked the cheapest inside cabin and was upgraded free to a good cabin up on the Prom Deck with great ocean views through the big windows, That saved a £2000 plus.
    The Amsterdam, very similar lay out to the Statendam and Rotterdam is a very well appointed and furnished ship. Better than Cunards Queen Victoria and Elizabeth.
    We sailed down to Puerto Limon in Costa Rica, a very nice little town. Costa Rica has no Army, Navy or Air Force, one of the very few countries like that. Must save millions.
    Anne and I hired a canoe, gave an old guy a lift and with a guide and his ten-year-old daughter he took us up the river, the trees overhanging the river had several Sloths lying on the branches sleeping. lovely creatures. All along the banks a great crowd of Howler Monkeys ran alongside us howling and screeching, lots of lizards and blue and white herons and lots of other wild life. A fantastic journey. photos
    Next place was the Panama Canal. This year is its 100th anniversary.
    We transited the Gatun Locks and with some time to spare the Captain took us along to the new Locks being built behind a dam. They are about half a mile to the east of the old locks and will be big enough to take the largest of ships. We had a good view of the work from the upper decks over the dam. Then we crossed the lake and did the transit.
    The other new locks start just before the Pedro Miguel Locks and by pass them and the Miraflores Locks and then into the Pacific. We could see the construction work going on. photos
    A
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kongs trip around the world 2014

A couple of days later we moored alongside in Manta in Ecuador, I bought myself a good Panama hat there, that is where they make them, $20. not a lot of anything there just a Market..
    Then on our way to Calleo in Peru.
    A little excitement was brought into the lives of the passengers when a small vessel was sighted with the crew waving lifejackets. I have never seen so many geriatric people moving so fast to get a good position to photo the “rescue”.
    We did a round turn and launched a lifeboat; they couldn’t unhook the falls and eventually had to launch another lifeboat, which went to the `casualty`…
    It turned out that they had lost their propeller and were just drifting. They had no radio and were running short on food and water, it was a small fishing vessel.
    They were given a load of stores and a case of wine, and a message was sent to their owners with their position, who said they would pick them up next day and so we resumed our voyage to Calleo. photo
    Calleo was a very busy port, not one British ship in sight. The docks full of German Hamburg Sud containers so they must be doing most of the business down there, six container ships a day coming in. PHOTO
    Calleo town is now a No Go area, the police said it is too dangerous to walk into town. I never saw one bar, all gone. No seamen ashore these days so no bars, no bar girls.
    They had coaches that took us up to Lima about an hours drive away, a decent town with a few more shopping malls than the last time I came here in 2006.
    We did a tour of three Inca Pyramids and the burials and mummified bodies inside them. Interesting.
    We stayed in Calleo for three nights and four days. Some of the passengers did a four day, three night tour to Michu Picchu high up in the Andes via a flight to Cuzco. I wanted to go but the cost was $4,000 so a very beautiful young Canadian lady I got to know was going, I told Anne if I shared the three nights in a hotel room with her it would bring down the cost. Anne said `NO`.
    So my friend took the photos and gave me a memory stick of her trip. Thank you Susan.
    On leaving Calleo we headed for Easter Island with its famous statues two and a half thousand miles away.
    A strange encounter happened on our way.
    I accidentally bumped into a middle-aged lady. We spoke to each other and noticed she had a South Africa accent.
    She said she was from Cape Town. I said I used to fly with Court Helicopters from Green Point. She said her husband used to fly with them as a Pilot and when were you there?
    I said 1976. She then said then you would have known my husband. He was Fritz ********.
    Yes I know him; I flew with him a lot in those days. Is he onboard.?
    She said No, he was killed in 1977 when the helicopter went down south of the Cape.
    I was stunned. I did hear at the time that one of the helicopters went down but never knew about the casualty. I suddenly felt ice cold. We had crashed into the ocean in 1976 but we all survived.
    It was a strange feeling, She had travelled to Miami from Cape Town, I had travelled to Miami from Bolton and we met in the South Pacific with the sad news.
    Amazingly, I never saw that lady again for the rest of the voyage. A strange encounter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We anchored off Easter Island, real name, Rapa Nui, and went ashore on the tenders.
    We hired a small mini bus and half a dozen of us did a tour of the island, very interesting with all the statues and a trip up the volcano, Ranoraraku, to the quarries where the statues were carved out of the side of the rock…………..photos
    It was one hell of a climb to get up there. There was a half finished one lying in the side of the rock. These statues are up to 45 feet long, and 85 tons, a tremendous size,
    How they got them down the mountain, and across the island and upright in position is unbelievable.
    Most of the statues have been buried up to the heads due to many eruptions of the volcanoes around the island. Some have been excavated down to the feet. They have belts and hieroglyphics carved on them. Photos.
    They were carved a thousand years ago by some lost civilisation, civil wars decimated the population from around 15,000 down to a couple of hundred. the island at the time was covered in forests but now there are no trees, only a few bushes.
    The population is now made up of Rapa/Polynesian and Chileans around 5,000, the language is Spanish but when I spoke to one woman at a market stall in Spanish, she corrected me, speak Polynesian we do not like Chile. So I spoke to her in Tahitian. She was happy then.
    Chile from 2,200 miles away, had annexed Rapa Nui and imposed a foreign Spanish culture and language onto the Polynesians, they are not happy…
    After climbing down the mountain, quite a hard trip. We went to the beach at Anakena, lovely place and overlooked by statues and had a dip in the ocean or Moana.
    We sailed for Pitcairn’s Island that evening 1290 miles away.
    Easter Island had been a great experience but I was looking forward to meeting the people of Pitcairn’s.
    We sighted the island at 0600 and on arriving we sailed all the way around it then back again the other way to just opposite the Landing and where HMS Bounty had been run ashore. We just hung off shore and then the boat with 45 people and a load of goods came out of the cove by the steps and came alongside and boarded through the shell doors. The population is 50, so only 5 people were left ashore. Stalls were set up on the Lido deck around the swim pool selling various souvenirs of Pitcairn.
    The Great grt… grt… granddaughter of Mutineer leader, Fletcher Christian, Jacqi Christian, gave a talk in the theatre about the mutiny and of life on the island, a very interesting woman.
    I met her on deck later and had a chat with her and Anne took a photo of Jacqi and me….. Photo.
    I have an old friend on Tahiti, Manurii, descended from Mr Midshipman Edward Young and I asked one of the ladies if she knew him, she said yes he was her cousin but we do not talk to him. I guess some family tiff.
    I bought a few souvenirs including the T-shirt and a cap and fridge magnet. All genuine Pitcairn souvenirs, made in China. What would we do without China.
    Later in the afternoon they all pack up and climbed down into the boat and left for the shore, the ship had given them a load of food stores and a few cases of wine. Our Passports had been stamped with the Pitcairn stamp. PHOTO
    Pitcairn may have problems soon, the average age on the island is 65, there are only five children on the island, They have a school teacher from New Zealand and if they pass their exams they go off to New Zealand to college and many never return. A ship from New Zealand visits once every three months.
    There is one NZ Policeman there and he was stamping the passports.
    For me it sort of completed something I started a couple of years ago regarding the story of the Bounty.
    My tooth was extracted by my Dentist, Mr Christian, in Bolton.
    I took the tooth to Tahiti and my friend Manurii, descended from Mr Midshipman Edward Young of the Mutiny, took me to Matavai Bay where the Bounty lay for six months waiting for the Bread Fruit season, On the beach was a Rock memorial to the HMS Bounty with a plaque of the crew list including Mr Fletcher Christian.
    Next to the Rock was a Bread Fruit tree, I buried my tooth at the base of the Tree, so from one Mr Christian in Bolton to Mr Christian in Tahiti My tooth will always be for ever in Tahiti, and then sailing from Pitcairn’s Island where I met a descendent of Mr Christian, Jacqi, I followed the wake of the Bounty back to Tahiti. I felt good.

The Statues on Easter Island, Me and Jacqi Christian at Pitcairns. andthe island with the Landing place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We arrived in Papeete, Tahiti, PAPE means water and ETE means basket, container or place, depending on the use, many islands in the Polynesia have no water except for the rainfall, PAPE -ETE had plenty of water and water falls, which was very useful on the voyages made by the Polynesians.
    On the wharf was my old Tahitian friend Stan waiting for us, he was with his friend Kaheii, a giant of a man of about 350 pounds. Stan does not drive as he is always drunk, so he has people driving him around, last time it was his nephew, Tico.
    Stan does not waste any time, straight down to the bottle shop, a big bag full of Hinano Beer and then driving south to Eddies house. We stopped off there and met Eddie and his wife and sat in the gazebo having a few beers. Then Eddie got his ukulele and we all piled into two cars and drove for nearly two hours down to Tahiti-Iti, the small `island` that hangs off the bottom of Tahiti-Nui, the big island.
    There was a house built right on the beach covered in frangipani, mango trees, Breadfruit trees, coconut palms etc. It belonged to Stan’s granddad, his cousin now lives there, a true paradise.
    A tuna fish was speared and chopped up into tiny cubes, put into a bowl and covered in coconut milk and left to marinate for a couple of hours. Some goats meat was chopped up and fried, and a fire was lit on the beach out of driftwood and then six Bread Fruit thrown on until black on one side then turned over for the other side to blacken. It was then peeled. PHOTOS.
    Delicious. We had the meal, eating only with the fingers Tahitian style, with wine and Hinano Beer and Eddie played his Ukulele while the rest sang Tahitian songs. It was a pure magic scene. The ocean was lapping on the beach only 15 feet from the house. Tourists can never experience this kind of thing. Pure Polynesian paradise. PHOTOS.
    Later we set off for Papeete again and went up the east coast over the top end , to Matavai Bay where the Bounty once lay for six months, to visit my tooth I buried there two years ago. It hadn’t taken Root yet.
    Then near by were Stan’s four sisters’ houses, all next to each other. We were introduced to his sisters and the usual hugging and kissing as is the custom.
    Then a beautiful dream floated in, she was a real south sea beauty.
    Long Black hair down to her waist, a lovely figure covered in a sexy Sarong.
    I put my arms around her and hugged and kissed her , again and again.
    I whispered, “What is your name”? she replied in a very soft and sexy voice.
    “I am Stanley’s son”. Me thinking there was a mix up in the translation of Tahitian and French language, said. “Don’t you mean daughter?”
    She replied “No, I am Stanley’s son, I am a Lady Boy”.
    I dropped her pronto, spitting out. Stanley said “That’s my boy.” I moved away quickly. Anne was laughing at it all. I have known Stan for many, many years, never knew he had a son/daughter.
    Later after a few more drinks and keeping a safe distance from She/He we got ready to go back to the ship.
    One thing I noticed that was extraordinary. In the back garden was a small `cemetery` of family graves. It seems that they bury their family members who die, in the garden,
    I also noticed on the road when passing many houses, graves by the front door in the garden.
    If they sell the house they have to dig them up and take them with them. A strange custom.
    On the way back to the ship, Stan phoned Rico and Fifi in Moorea and told him we would be there in the morning. We had had a good party at Rico`s beach house on Moorea last time so I was looking forward to it. Rico said he would be down to the landing waiting for us.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice little stories Brian, thanks, but I respectfully suggest that in post#2, photo #2 you stop taking selfies and change your diet, because you are looking awfully thin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We arrived in Moorea next morning and anchored in Opunoha Bay, in the next Bay, Cooks Bay, another cruise ship arrived, `Amadeus`, full of Germans from Hamburg.
    We went ashore in the tender and on the quayside we looked for Rico and Fifi.
    No sign of them. I met an old friend, a very attractive Moorean lady, Jocelyn. PHOTO
    She said Rico and Fifi had not been and maybe they had gone to Cooks Bay and waited for the wrong ship.
    Anne and I hung around for an hour and a friend off the ship, Harold Murphy, a retired ships engineer from Cheshire, called to me, He had a boat and wanted us to join him for a trip to deserted island and swim with the Sharks and Sting Rays. I had done that before and it is real magic. So we decided to go, no use wasting the day.
    We sailed around the island and saw all the beautiful sights that Moorea had to offer on the way to the sand bank where the Sting Rays are, we had done it many times before but it is always good to do it all again. We were given snorkels and over the side we went. The ladies stayed inboard. It is a magic experience swimming with these creatures, so tame. And holding them by the shoulders they tow you around. The Sharks lurk about, they are the Black Tip Sharks, and do not attack people, very often.
    After an hour we climbed aboard the boat, he then took us to the Inter Continental Hotel where we got off just in time to see the Dolphin show.
    Afterwards the man took us back to the Jetty and we went to a little bar on the quay.
    We were joined by the lovely Jocelyn, who said Rico and Fifi hadn’t showed so we figured that they had gone to the German ship instead, so we would have wasted our time if we had waited for them. Maybe next time, when we go back next year.
    Back to the ship then we sailed with our Sailaway Party and band playing for Bora Bora, another island paradise.
    We arrived in Bora Bora next morning and went ashore in the tender.
    We had been there many times and had toured the island. So we went on a bus to the beach, a great place to be, beautiful white sand and turquoise waters out to the reef with the white breakers over it. Two bars on the beach were quite welcome with the heat and had a good drink and conversation with an American USAAF Pilot and his wife. Later we caught the bus and it stops at the world famous, Bloody Marys for one of her famous cocktails. Had them before but always expensive. When we arrived my mate Harold Murphy was coming out with a few other people, The price of the Bloody Mary Cocktail was 25 US Dollars each. No way, said Murphy he emptied the bar.
    PHOTO.
    The Lovely Jocelyn, with Harold Murphy, ex MN , and the islands.

So back on the bus to the tender and the ship.
    . We sailed through the many beautiful coloured reefs around the island and headed for Pango Pango in American Samoa.
    Every time we sailed from a port we had the band on deck and a Sailaway Party, drinking and dancing as we sailed past the islands. Great fun.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 25th March 2014 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Three days later we moored alongside in beautiful Pago Pago, pronounced Pango Pango, on the 1st of February.
    Anne and I walked ashore and went to Sadie Thompsons Inn. PHOTO
    We had also been there many times. Sadie Thompson was a prostitute from San Francisco and Hawaii and ended up in Samoa, became famous when Somerset Maughan met her and wrote her story in `RAIN`. The US Marines were based there, she is reputed to have entertained as many as 16,000 Marines in her lifetime, that is some going, trying to keep their pecker up. Several films had been made of her life last one with Rita Heyworth taking the title roll. We had a couple of beers there. Unfortunately Sadie wasn’t there, she had died a few years ago. Always a popular bar and a hotel.
    Next port was Lautoka in Fiji. We moored next to the sugar berth, The factory had a mountain of brown sugar outside next to the conveyor ready to load the next ship.
    Not a lot there, just a bus ride into town and Anne bought a new dress. Walked around then back to the ship. Not the best of ports, last time in Fiji was two years ago into Port Denerau, a true paradise.
    We did the sailaway party on deck and sailed for Noumea in New Caledonia.
    I cannot remember a thing about Noumea, a total blank. must have been the Fijian Rum.
    Then from there we sailed to Kuta on Ille de Pines, still in New Caledonia, a beautiful little island with the best beach I have ever come across, the lagoon had sand like white talcum powder. Spent the day on the beach and swimming, fantastic little place A German cruise ship, Amadeus, had erected a tent and a free bar for their passengers on the beach, so I vos a German for the day. “dankesen mein herren” , or something like that, so I was on free beer for the day. These krauts come in useful sometimes.
    After that a three day trip down the Coral Sea to Sydney where we were to leave and check into a hotel in York Street in town,.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After that a three day trip down the Coral Sea to Sydney where we were to leave and check into a hotel in York Street in town,.
    The ship berthed at the new Cruise Terminal at 6am, 11 February, at White Bay, miles out of town. It cost me 40 Aus.Dollars to get into town.
    We checked into the Travelodge Wynyard Hotel on York Street and the reception gave me a couple of messages, one from Richard Quartermain and one from Vernon.
    Richard was coming that very morning to see us, he lives in Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. I recognised him immediately and he had a couple of hours before having to go to a lunch appointment with his Association. So with coffee we had a very interesting conversation about his adventures and his work in the South Seas, Fiji and Tahiti and his roots in Bradford.
    In the afternoon Anne and I walked down to Circular Quay and round to the Opera House, Watched the `Rhapsody of the Seas` sail from the cruise terminal , and met several passengers and lady members of Staff from the Pursers Office, so a few more kisses and hugs of good bye. We had lunch and dinner down there and a few wines.
    Next morning Vernon arrived at the hotel after travelling down from Blackheath up in the Blue Mountains, a long way out of town.
    I hadn’t seen Vernon for just two years since we had a drink with Roger in Monties Blood House at Pyrmont. Good to see him again. We had a coffee round the corner in a coffee shop while we waited for Roger to appear, he lives about 40 miles out of Sydney.
    Roger turns up, hadn’t seen him for two years, and we had a couple of beers then we went across the road to a posh Hotel, Menzies. We swung the lamp a few times, had lunch on Vernon and Roger, thanks lads and more beers.
    Early next morning I had a phone call from Roger, he said he would take Anne and I down to Wollongong to my nieces house on the following day. What a great fellow, a wonderful gesture and I will always remember it. Thank you Roger.
    The following day Anne and I watched the Voyager of the Seas sailing from the cruise terminal at Circular Quay. She was BIG, Bigger than the Bridge, 4000 bloods on board for a two week trip round New Zealand. Looked like a big shopping trolley. PHOTO
    We wandered around the Rocks, looking for some of the Pubs I used to drink in as a lad. A lot have disappeared, turned into wine bars serving salad lunches. Not the same as it was in the 50s. Last time I was there I was looking for Mary Bashems pub, notorious in the 50s, the women were like `all in wrestlers`, broken glass all over the floor, the girls dancing through it all in bare feet, They were tough women.
    I had had a few bevies and wanted to take a photo of Mary Bashems Pub, so I went into the local Police Station and asked the Policeman on the desk
    `Do you know where Mary Bashems pub is?`,
    He says `No`.
    I said `You did in 1955 you barstereds, when you came in bashed me over the head with a club and threw me into a cell for the night.`
    The Policeman leaned over the counter and said, `If you don’t get out of here I will bash you over the head again and throw you into a cell.
    I fell out of the door laughing, things don’t change.
    I walked around the corner from the Police Station and there was Mary Bashams pub, it had a new name now. So I got my photo.
    I like Sydney it has a certain character about it.
    We wandered up George Street and in a side street I came across a Memorial to the Royal Australian Regiment, The Regiment we took from Sydney to Malaya in 1955, I have a few good memories of the lads in that Regiment, 3,000, 2RAR.Some never came back.. PHOTO.
    We went to Circular Quay again the evening for a meal, the whole terrace from the ferries down to the Opera House was full of people all eating and drinking wine and beers. They finish work in their offices and go to Circular Quay and have their dinners and wine etc in the very pleasant surroundings overlooking the Harbour and the Bridge,
    What a wonderful way to end the day before making for home. Must have been around 2000 of them

Richard Quartermain, Vernon and Roger with me. Circular Quay and the Bridge.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Next morning Roger arrived at the hotel in his car and we loaded it up with our cases and set off for Lake Heights near Wollongong, about 90 miles south.
    We had a very interesting drive down south and called in at Buli Point Look Out.
    On top of a sheer cliff 1600 feet high with magnificent views along the coast and bays.
    We had lunch there in the restaurant before setting off again for Lake Heights.
    We had a good chat and a few laughs on the way eventually arriving at my nieces home overlooking Lake Illawarra with its beautiful views. She and her husband were happy to see us and we had a little lunch and then Roger left to go home. Another long drive back, many thanks again Roger, you are a Gentleman.
    We had four days there, It was good just to relax after all the activities and travelling around. I took her a bottle of Bacardy off the ship and it was nice just to relax on her balcony overlooking the lake sipping Bacardy and coke.
    She took us one afternoon to Port Kembla where the Copper Works were before they closed. There was a chimney over 200 metres or well over 600 feet high, it was to be demolished next Monday and there was a lot of opposition to it coming down.
    The following Monday I was in the Hotel in Singapore and watched the demolition on TV and took the photos of it crashing down. In true Australian style, they were camping out near the site and Barbecues and ale supping going on. PHOTOS
    On Tuesday Marilyn, my niece, took us to Botany Bay for the Airport and the five hour flight over to Perth.
    We checked into the Kings Hotel on Hay Street, it is a hotel where we have stayed many times. Very handy for the Waterfront, shopping malls and the railway station.
    The following day Joe Finnegan an old mate from 1955/ 6 and from Liverpool who now lives down there Phoned me and then I got another call from our John Sabourne and we arranged to meet up in Fremantle. Joe, with his wife Mary met Anne and me at the railway Station and we walked through town to Ciceriloes* the famous fish restaurant for lunch with John his wife., Double fish and chips all round and then a few beers and wine. Lovely place sat on the quayside watching the boats during our lunch.
    John invited us down to his lovely home in Rockingham, about 50 kms south of Perth the following day for a Barbecue.
    The following day we caught the train to Rockingham and Joe and Mary were waiting at the Station and in his car he took us to John`s home.
    A few neighbours were there and a table outside in the garden. John was Chief Cook barbecuing T Bone Steaks, fantastic. Plenty of beers there and plenty of Cake for afters. He had grape vines growing along his wall and the grapes were under constant attack by the Gallahs and Cockies. Quite interesting to a Pom but a bloody nuisance to
    Them.. It was a great Barbie, John, many thanks. PHOTO.
    The next day Anne had arranged to meet a friend who was a bit upset about her husbands behavior so we took her to an early dinner in Perth.
    The last day we spent packing and then took a walk through town, found a pub called the Lucky Shag, so when my bank statement came in and I had a query about my statement the young lady in the bank thought I had spent my money in a brothel.
    Me and Roger at Buli , JohnSabournes Barbie with me and Joe Finnegan and John with his magnificent white beard. The 600plu feet high chymney at Port Kembla coming down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sunday morning we went to the airport and flew to Singapore about five hours away.
    We checked into our usual hotel, had dinner and turned in as it was getting late.
    I like Singapore, it is always changing with new buildings of fantastic designs always something new to see.
    We strolled up the road to The Raffles Hotel, an icon from the old Colonial days, and very expensive to stay there. The Long Bar is famous for its Singapore Sling a must to all visitors along with the peanuts where you throw the shells on the floor, an old custom.
    We bumped into one of my employees there, Anne said, `I know that face.`
    I recognised him immediately, `Hallo George, how are you,? `Fine ` he says as we shook hands with me and Anne.
    Me, `did you enjoy your trip to Sydney and was the meeting a success?`
    George, `yes it was excellent`,
    Me, `Are you staying here?`.
    George, `Yes I am`
    Me, ` We always stay here when in Singers,`
    ` What are you doing now George,` ?
    `Just off to buy the wife a present`, says George,
    Well good bye old chap, ` says I. `See you later.` and away he went.
    I should have told him I was Captain Kong who sends him complaining emails. But I didn’t want to spoil the moment.
    It was George Osborn the Chancellor of the Exchequer, he had just been to Sydney for the G20 meeting of the top 20 financial countries.
    I bet he wondering, Who the hell was that? Do I know him?
    It is always amazing who you can meet in Raffles.
    The following day our friends arrived in Singapore from the UK.
    They are our next door neighbours in Fleetwood, They live in Fleetwood for 12 months and then live in Singapore for 12 months . Helen is Singapore Chinese and Tony is English originally from Dudley, Brum. Helen speaks better English than he does.
    We gave them a day to recover from the flight then went to Holland Park where their apartment was and met them there.
    They take us all over Singapore, to places usual tourists never see and to good Chinese restaurants. But must admit I was a little fed up with Chinese food by the end of the week. Cant beat a good English dinner.
    On Saturday we went to Changi Airport for our plane on Qatar Airline .
    What an awful flight, We had booked seats before we left home, on the front row by the bulk head so no one could drop back their seats on top of us. When we boarded an Arab family was sat there, One man, three wives and three kids.
    . Flying to Doha then to Manchester, like being in Bolton, full of screaming `Thingies`. The fella in front of me had three wives , all pregnant with three screaming kids, in four seats.no one checked them
    , they ran riot throughout the plane, jumping on seats and one leaned over and threw my dinner tray on the deck. I went berserk, Anne had to hold me back to stop me from battering this `thingy`fella.
    The staff did not help. Then at Manchester a stupid woman opened the locker above my head and dropped a heavy case on my head, almost kncked out, my head is still sore. No appologies from the woman. I almost thumped her as well. a bleddy awful flight. Next time I am going on a civilised airline.
    Travelling by ship is far more civilised than stupid planes.
    So it was an excellent two month trip round the planet, everyday was good, the ship was good, the service was good, the food was good and the itinery was very good. And the trip from Sydney to Perth and on to Singapore also very good, it was good to meet the lads again, Richard Quartermain, Vernon, Roger Dyer, and John Sabourne.
    Only the last 24 hours on QATAR Airways was bad.
    We have already booked again for next February on Holland America`s Statendam to the Hawaiian Islands, the Tahitian Islands and Marquesses, a 30 day trip from San Diego and back. We have done that one twice before, It’s a good one.
    Hope you enjoyed reading this.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast