Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New zealand for the third time

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New zealand for the third time

Part OneLeaving port now at the beginning of a voyage is sodifferent to the times we sailed in. Gone the wonder of sailing day, the hustleand bustle of bloods and crew preparing to sail. Waving and calling from thequayside family and friends, some for the last time. Sound of the shipswhistle, blaring out as a signal of impending departure. The tugs, those mightymidget goliaths that pull and push to set the ship on her way.

But now how different the scene, no hustle and bustle nowall boarding done to a precise order, no friends and family non the quayside towave a last farewell security is such that only passengers and crew can get onto the quay. No more the sound of the ships whistle, environmental conditionnow ban such noise. No tugs, now just the gentle throb of thrusters moving theship from the quay. But aboard there is an atmosphere of great expectation, asailaway party is well into it’s stride with the bars doing a roaring trade,the band playing people dancing by the pool, al is well.

Sailing for New Zealand weather conditions are not the best,a low- pressure system in the Tasman Sea is set to create a problem forpassengers and crew alike. The early evening showed no signs of what was tofollow, all was serene, people enjoying the first night of their cruise a drinkat the bar, meeting new friends, being greeted by crew members as they awaitedto enter the dinning saloon for dinner. On this cruise there were more firsttimers than I had ever seen on nay cruise, most of them in the senior or extremesenior bracket.

Second sitting dinner had just begun when I realised theship was beginning to move, no roll as the stabilisers were doing a great job,but the pitching had begun. A slow melodious pitch that would have put a babyto sleep, a person imbibing feels very good. The dining saloon is on deck sixwell above the water line but it is well forward of midship. Soup, the secondcourse, was being served to passengers with tables by the ships side. Largepicture windows rather than portholes are situated there; our table wassituated more amidships so we had a good view of much of the saloon. Our waiterwas just about to pour the wine when it hit. It has often been said that rougewaves have hit ships, this was one. It came with such force that the windowsalong the whole length of the saloon where covered by the wave. Thankfully ourwaiter was able to stop pouring before any spilled from the glass, howeverthose on table by the windows were not so lucky.

No doubt with such potential weather approaching the galleyhad not sent out soup that was over heated, spraying soup can do so muchdamage, but not as much as that done by one unfortunate lady. Not sure if itwas the force of the wave or just plain fear but this lady left her seat at aspeed one would not consider possible. The movement was complemented by one ofthe loudest screams imaginable. Glasses and cutlery went flying, passengerswere in total disarray and a few crewmembers were struggling to manage thesituation. There was little I could do so I continued with my wine. The twoheadwaiters scrabbled from table to table assuring passengers that all waswell, and slowly things returned to normal for all of five minutes before thenext wave hit. Not as bad as the first but by now some of the first time wereshowing signs of Mal de Mer in a big way, not very nice for them. The situationbegan to ease and the ship went into a steady pitching motion of up to 15degrees, and as I left the saloon I wondered how many of these poor personswould consider their first night on a cruise?
    So here ended the first night.

Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New zealand for the third time

Christmas eve at sea on a cruise ship is a little differentnow to that of yesteryear. It becomes a time when total strangers engage inactivities and congregation they may otherwise not bother with. From early mornthere is a feeling of great expectation amongst both passengers and crew, afeeling of something special to come.

Much hustle and bustle around the onboard shops, the barsare busy serving many drinks much of which people only drink on specialoccasions. The children look in wonder at the Ginger Bread House village in theatrium, whilst suspended overhead Santa in his sleigh with the heard ofReindeer in total control. If one pulls at the cables holding him aloft thesleigh will rock from side to side.

For many the day drags on, for others it moves too quickly,each has their own reason for being there. Young families with children fromone to eighteen, seniors who choose to be away from families at this time. Eachhaving their own personal expectations of the day to come.

During the lunch- time announcement from the bridge, Carolswill be sung in the atrium at 1900 hours and all are welcome to attend. By 1800the crowds begin to amass in the atrium area, song sheets are handed out tothose brave enough to join the singing. Then at 1900 hours they appear, thechoir made up of members of the ships crew. From Galley boy to Chief Officerthey gather. A three- piece string quartet begins to play and the carols begin.Slowly at first then climbing to a crescendo as the passengers join in. All thetraditional carols along with a number of Christmas songs. The atmosphere iselectric and a feeling of peace and good will to all pervades the air.

Dinner is served and the good feeling prevails well into thenight with most people still wishing ‘Merry Christmas’ to all and sundry.

Christmas morning sees us entering Milford Sound, the air iscold at a lowly ten degrees but no wind and the sea is calm. The decks arecrowded with passengers and some crew all in awe of the surroundings. An areaunsullied by the hand of man, pristine as it was millions of years ago. Thewaterfalls pouring forth with the spume from them create giant rainbows in theair. Along the water line water rats and other creatures swim oblivious of ourpresence. High above snow sits atop the surrounding mountains like icing on agiant cake, bird’s swoop and dive enjoying the cool morning air. A group ofkeen Kayak’s make their way along the water, so small in this great cavern asto look like yellow waterfowl skimming along. All too soon our time in here isover as the ship reaches the end and turns ready to journey forth unto the nextsound.

At 1030 hours it is announced that Santa is now on board andwill appear in the Atrium at 1100 hours. The children gather in numbers parentsby their side all in deep anticipation of the arrival of Santa with his bag ofpresents. Then a shout goes up, ‘there he is in the glass lift’ and as it comesto a rest Santa enters the Atrium whilst from above snow begins to fall. Someof the children cry out in joy, some stand in awe at what they see, Santa withhis bag.

A large chair has been organised and on this Santa takes hisplace surrounded by his elves. The children and summoned forth to meet withSanta, some sitting on his knee to get their present, but there are gifts forthe other children as well. The parents so proud of the occasion are busy withcameras recording the events for posterity. As I stand and watch it occurred tome, are these people aware of the world situation, are they concerned aboutthose less fortunate, those who suffer famine and distress, war andtorture! Those people to whom ChristmasDay will be just another day of misery.
    Oh greed and gluttony how you rise on such occasions, howyou consume those who look no further than their own small world. Avarice andjealousy do now rein on such a day.

I moved away from the crowd deep in my own thoughts ofChristmas long ago when simple people of my time enjoyed a Christmas with realmeaning, where the spirit of the day had genuine meaning when people said‘Merry Christmas’ with conviction. When the giving of love was more importantthat a present, when families gathered in true meaning and enjoyed the companyof each other. Rich and poor alike it made no difference to us at that time.
    But yet I still live in hope that the day will come when a“Christmas Carol will once more rule the day.
    At dinner on Christmas night, a very enjoyable occasion theHead Waiter commented on the length of my fingers asking if I had ever played amusical instrument?
    But all was not doom and gloom as can be seen by theattached image, I won the fairy from atop the Christmas tree.001 (2) (366x800).jpg001 (2) (366x800).jpg
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

gray_marian Guest

Great stuff, notice you hand is rather high up!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as well you weren't on UCL you may have had a different fairy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope there is more to come a very nice story John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    Great stuff, notice you hand is rather high up!

As I told the head waiter my hansd do not play musical instramenst but with fingers as long as mine it would be a waste not to put them to good use.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Louis Barron View Post
    Hope there is more to come a very nice story John
    Part three will soon follow, watch out for it on your return trip.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very Good John, She,s nothing like the Fairys we had on the Port Pirie.
    I see you still have that Gleam in the eye. The Skipper would be keeping his eyes on you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Part Three

Boxing Day was for many a time to relax and recover afterthe rush of Christmas Day, for others a time to explore. That morning saw usberth in Dunedin the most Southerly port of New Zealand any further south andyou will reach the South Pole.

Our third time in Dunedin and little had changed; the rainwas still cold and falling at a steady pace. But for the intrepid travellersuch conditions are no barrier to adventure and the pursuit of excitement.Having explored Dunedin on previous cruises we decided this time to try something different.

Dunedin station is a most wonderful example of Victorianarchitecture, one of the finest examples anywhere across the globe, along withthe Cathedral and the statues of R. Burns. The town also boasts as having thesteepest street in the world. There aretwo train trips from here, one a full day along the gorge, the other theSeasider travelling to Palmerston and return. From previous cruises I was awareof the cost should one book with the cruise company and on our last venture toDunedin, New Year 2011, had obtained a copy of the schedule and prices. Had Ibooked with the cruise company the cost per person would have been in the orderof $ 190 but by booking on line and paying on arrival it was only $ 87 perperson. The train is a most excellent example of Victorian rail transport asthe attached may show. In those bygone days style was of the essence and noexpense spared in building such.

With rain pouring from the heavens we set forth on thejourney, one that would show much of the wonderful New Zealand scenery. Not farfrom the station a small insignificant looking yacht club so small one could beexcused for not noticing it, yet from this spot cam the yacht and crew that forNZ won the Americas Cup, such is the spirit of the Kiwi. The journey continuedalong the line with bays and beaches following the coastline. Despite the rainand somewhat gloomy conditions it was obvious that this is a country of greatnatural beauty, with trees and shrubs native to the land. Occasionally anAustralian Gum tree will appear looking quite at home with the local nativetrees. Along the way small communities of a few houses and farms dot thecountryside, some appearing very remote yet not far from the city. The grass isgreen, a green I had only seen in Ireland prior to this, a green so deep andrich that it appeared as a velvet screen across the land. Farming here formilking cattle is good, the grass grows all year rich and lush producing milkthat produces some of the worlds finest cheese.

We arrived in Palmerton some 90 minutes later having seensome of the most wonderful countryside imaginable. The rain continued so seeingmuch of the town was not an option. But from what observation we could make itappeared to be a very comfortable town as is the case with most towns inNZ. We enjoyed a coffee and sampledsome of the excellent cheese on sale. I doubt one would find creamier Cheddaranywhere else in the world, this was something else. All too soon our time herewas up and we must begin the journey back to Dunedin.

Facing the other way I was able to see some of the countryside I did not see on the way up, the undulating hills so green and dare I sawinviting made one understand why people choose to live in what to many would representa remote community.
    We had arranged prior to beginning our cruise to meet withLou at the station on our return. However for some reason though leaving ontime we arrived over 30 minutes late. Speaking with Lou since it appears wemissed each other at the station. The rain continued so we ventured back to theship.
    Having changed yet again we venture ashore once moreto venture into the town of Port Chalmers, the port for Dunedin. A town settledin the 1840’s and a great example of architecture of the times. The church justup the hill is of special note being one of only a few across the globe that iswhat one would consider a two -storey church. Along with the ground floor pewsthere is an upper level, where the organ sits, with pews running the length ofthe upper level. A most unusual and charming church built with much Scottishinfluence, as is the case with much of Dunedin. There is in the main street anexcellent Seaman’s Mission along with much wonderful old buildings capable intheir design of transporting ones mind back to an earlier era. Like so much of this wonderful country it has a serenity and ambiance of a time long past.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Baker View Post
    Very Good John, She,s nothing like the Fairys we had on the Port Pirie.
    I see you still have that Gleam in the eye. The Skipper would be keeping his eyes on you.
    No quite safe there he is now in his late sixties, but he did shake my hand at his COCKtail party.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast