Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal tender

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Legal tender

Sorting out some old stuff in the loft and came across these in an old book.
    Wonder if I could still use them, don't know how I managed to leave the coast with them as usually left broke.
    Regards Michael
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th March 2024 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Legal tender

If remember correctly there was 5/- difference between an English pound which way would have to think about now, similar to a Scottish pound or the linen bank of Scotland where there was a smaller discrepancy . Whether the difference in value was legal or not would have to ask someone in banking. Don’t ask anyone in Bankwest however they just found out yesterday that most of them will be shortly redundant as their boss the Commonwealth bank has been sitting on their plans to go digital for some time . I went into both banks weeks ago and asked them the score and they denied it, the work force as usual was the last to find out. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th March 2024 at 12:31 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS It was the British Linen Bank which was based in Edinburgh now owned by the Bank of Scotland, that bank the Clydesdale Bank and the Royal bank of Scotland issue Scottish notes which are the exact same value as bank of England notes. Got to admit though it was pretty useless carrying Scottish notes abroad, I do not mean just going to England but outside the UK. No one would take them. I always carried Bank of England notes and or Euro's when joining ships or rigs outside the UK.

UK003715

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember one time I had about £30 in Scottish notes. Pulled into a petrol station and filled up. Handed the notes over to pay for the fuel, he told me , no way, not taken them notes. Ah well it is take them or get a tube out and start sucking cause it is all I have. He took the notes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never had any problem at all with Scottish notes round here, it was not uncommon to get them in your change in this area. While the Scottish pound note was still available, I would make sure I had some when I came back from doing some work in Scotland (I was in Aberdeen for at least a week evry month, with regular visits to Grangemouth, Glasgow, plus anywhere else there was industry) far better than pound coins.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone in the Argentine in the early 1950s ?. The official rate on taken a sub on the ship was 39 pesos to the pound or whatever they called them. Ashore with a pound note one could get 80 to the pound maybe a couple less for a Scottish one. Never heard any complaints however. The Argentine as far as I know still have what one could call dodgy money. Maybe it’s the dodgy people they get in power. ? For those who don’t already know a British ship in a foreign port and the Articles of Agreement were lodged at the British Embassy or Consulate and all monies drawn by the master for ships disbursements was entered in the Articles and this was the rate used for your subs after sailing and worked out
    To go on Pay Off sheets . One didn’t have computers to do it with either, pencil and paper and any fairies around to give a helping hand. Cheers JS

The best currency obviously for exchange rates was and still is the US $. For anyone wishing to making a killing ,mainly on foreign flag ships with maybe lascar crews was to draw large amounts of US dollars in the States , which was when changed into rupees worth twice the amount at least as against the official rate and the shipowner or whoever would use to pay off all disbursements I say mainly in Indian ports. Today and yesterday however we were more honest and such behaviour is frowned on by most countries. I say Foreign flag because most were on the HK system where you carried a lot of money as the ship worked on a monthly portage account , money in and money out , this included all cash payments for food and stores and wages , the remaining money left in the ledger was usually the Masters salary so he had to be careful with his arithmetic.? Something similar to the old British coastal agreements but a lot more money involved.JS
    All in all the only way the ordinary person has to gauge the country they live in , is the official rates they see on their TV screens, this however is not always a true picture , seamen knew a lot better by visiting those countries and seeing how much further their own cash went in the Bordellos and the local markets. Russia is another one which works under a false economy. All foreign money there used to be accepted with open arms. The official rate when last there in the 70s was 3 Rubles to the pound , ashore in the foreigners or tourists shops it was 10 to the pound. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th March 2024 at 12:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an old $5 note from about the 80;s.
    But the bank did but the bank did take it.

During the pandemic many businesses here, like some no doubt in Uk, said no cash card only.
    One such was the servo owned by Woolies the supermarket.

I filled up and put a $50 on the counter.
    Sorry she said not taking cash

Sorry said I but that is all I have just now, waiting for a new card.

The amount owing was $49.45 so I just left the $50 and walked out.

Cash is still legal tender as one coffee shop just outside feral parliament building found out a few weeks ago when they told an MP, 'we do not take cash'
    They do now!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wether they were English pounds, Scottish pounds, Yankee Dollars or whatever I know I never had enough.But I can see Cappy if he is looking in examining who put those notes on line, in the Hope of.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never reached the million pound status then Des as were no notes involved just …1 florin, 2 sixpences , 5 pennies 6 half pences, and 4 farthings, good old British currency , just like the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Cheers JS
    R575129

11. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems today most countries just print money as requires. Nothing is ever said about the Gold reserves to cover it. Most people myself included know little about high finances and are open to unscrupulous people and their fast talking such as politicians . JS
    R575129

13. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast