Thread: Video tribute to the sea voyages of Leonard Little (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) 1939 - 1949

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Video tribute to the sea voyages of Leonard Little (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) 1939 - 1949

Last year I embarked on a video project in tribute to my late father-in-law's time in the Merchant Navy and during WW2 the Royal Navy from 1939 to 1949.

His name was Leonard Little from Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the UK and he began his sea career as a cleaner before he became a stoker.

The video took a lot longer to complete than I had anticipated, partly because I wrote a song to go with it (Old Sea Legs) and partly because researching the various ships trying to find good quality photographs and specification information proved rather challenging at times especially where some of the ships' names had been changed over the years. It includes photos from his note books detailing the ships he sailed aboard, the ports he visited and other information that I was able to gather from various different sources.

Ships Len sailed aboard include:

HMS Chaser
    HMS Ruler
    RMS Empress of Scotland
    SS Beaconsfield
    SS Bourbon
    SS Calvin Coggin
    SS Dalewood
    SS Dalmore
    SS Esturia
    SS Europa
    SS Glaisdale
    SS Granhill
    SS Marquesa
    SS Mistley
    SS Nela
    SS Thistledale

The video can be viewed by clicking this link: Old Sea Legs

If anyone has any questions or interest in any of the ships or in undertaking a similar family project, please feel to message me and I will do my best to help and if there is anyone out there who may have known Len or has/had a family member who may have sailed on the same ships as him, I would be delighted to hear.

Jon E

Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: Video tribute to the sea voyages of Leonard Little (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) 1939 - 1949

Jon, What a wonderful tribute to late your late father in law Leonard Little. Assembled and captivating in presentation with poignant lyrics as the narration. Worthy of a wider audience young and old. Well done you.

Lest We Forget.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Video tribute to the sea voyages of Leonard Little (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) 1939 - 1949

What do you expect coming from Newcastle on Tyne Marian.? Well done to Jon . If there is anything in the village paper in August about July 6 th. Will send you the whole paper as I receive via email , maybe you could forward to Fouro who may wish to take out any parts applicable to pass on to those who keep a Watch on that date every year. Cheers JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, Jon Edwards thanked for this post
    Likes Jon Edwards liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great tribute, well done.

6. Thanks Jon Edwards thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

#3, Nothing less John. Have N.E blood coursing through my veins too. Will indeed forward on what you send re Piper Alpha, the bravery shown by you and others and the lives lost must never be forgotten.

I hold too in the highest esteem all veterans of the Armed Forces who fought during world wars on our behalf.
    May They Rest in Peace

8. Thanks j.sabourn, Jon Edwards thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marian.

Thank you so much for taking a look at the video and for your very kind comments, all very much appreciated. It is lovely that you enjoyed it.

Best wishes,

Jon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    Great tribute, well done.
    Hi Johnny,

Many thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Len would be pleased too if he were still here.

Best wishes,

Jon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    What do you expect coming from Newcastle on Tyne Marian.? Well done to Jon . If there is anything in the village paper in August about July 6 th. Will send you the whole paper as I receive via email , maybe you could forward to Fouro who may wish to take out any parts applicable to pass on to those who keep a Watch on that date every year. Cheers JS
    Hi, many thanks for watching the video and for your kind feedback. Best wishes, Jon
    Last edited by Jon Edwards; 22nd July 2023 at 05:52 PM. Reason: To separate from other replies

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, john walker, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jon , what a great thing to have done . Your father inlaw would be amazed at the tribute. Thank you for sharing.
    James

12. Thanks Jon Edwards thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Jon , what a great thing to have done . Your father inlaw would be amazed at the tribute. Thank you for sharing.
    James
    Hi James,

Thank you for your kind comments.

As with most such projects I suspect, it turned into something far bigger than I had originally imagined but as I started getting into it, I became keen to find out more about all the ships Len had been on and I'm extremely pleased to have been able to obtain photos of each one mentioned in his sea diaries. It took me quite a while though, ultimately solved with a pointer I was able to obtain from Len's National Archives records, to realise that HMS Mersey and HMS Golden Hind were not ships at all but actually land bases! He started at sea aged 19 and that makes his journeys around the world and the observations he made especially during WW2, all the more impressive in my eyes.

Thanks again,

Jon

14. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison liked this post