Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you go to Sea?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Why did you go to Sea?

Was it blind ambition ? why did you go to sea?

For me I think it was ingrained as an idea when as a young boy I had Dock Road holidays in Bristol with Uncle Will, in Grimsby with Uncle Frank and Liverpool with Uncle Bert – I didn’t stand a chance looking back and I just knew that all I wanted was to go to sea. I remember Burton Station in January 1962 I was 15, it was freezing cold and I couldn’t understand why Mum was crying as I was so happy and excited to be all packed and travelling by train up to Edinburgh to join TS Dolphin in Leith.
    Happy days.

Steve R770014

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My Reason!

With a broken Family life,my late Brother allready at Sea,my Uncle George also at Sea,my late Father away in London,and my dear Mum battling to make ends meet, with my younger Sister at School,i was fortunate enough to get the chance to join the Merc,the old Dunnottar Castle was in Port and short on a few Crew,so as luck had it i was taken on in the First Class Dining and that was it!
    The idea too of going to Sea was something that i had dreamt about for some Years!
    At least i was able to now send some cash back to Mum,and it really helped her!
    After a while thankfully things got better at Home,and after leavibg the Merc,joined the RAF!
    Thats life !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Ron Hamilton Guest

Default Why go to sea ?

Like Steve I dont know what impelled me from a very early age to know Iwas going to sea, there just was no question ,although my father & 3 brothers all were carpenters & my grandfather who died 12mths before I was born had been a seaman in sail & steam & came ashore to finish his life in the River Police , without any deliberate action on my part it is quite creepy that in retrospect I appear to have followed in his footsteps but I came ashore to go on the 'Fireboat, 'William Gregson ' in Liverpool before leaving for better financial prospects in Oz & N.Z. Ron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile To sea the world

The reason I went to sea basically was to see the world. I didnt know too much about what being a deck cadet involved or a navigator for that matter. I was not very bright at school and just got 4 gcses after two attempts and was lucky to be taken on as a cadet as maths was not one of the subjects. It was a struggle to complete my cadetship due to a number of reasons but I was determined to finnish what I started.Thankfully in those days there was paid study leave. It took me three attempts to pass each of the three exams. Which I have always belieived never got the accademic reconition they deserve especially masters.
    Anyway I am still at sea after 40 years and can honestly say I dont regret comming to sea and have enjoyed the greater part of my time. However I am starting to run out of companies. Redundant twice in two years and number three looking very likely. Perhaps I will give the MCA another try.

Archie Coulter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

on some sundays after the war my Dad used too take us on the overhead railway along the 13 miles of liverpool docks a lot of ships were in then ,and they would depart from the landing stage , I think thats what sparked my imagination for the sea life and also the Errol Flynn pirate movies. had to get too the spanish main for the treasure, but just found many a bar in the carribean and lost my treasures

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Did I go I cant remember much about that time

Hi Shipmates Why did I go to sea? I was walking down the docks "Bute st",just come out of a pub, one of many When i was acosted by a gang of seaman "jack tars" we use to call them in those days with belaying pins and fids who set about me after a few more beers, The next thing I remember was waking up on a B.P. tanker going to the persian Gulf after many years at sea I swam ashore in shark in fested waters' and made it back to Cardiff but no one would belive me they blame a Mr Henkey or mr clark and a place called {The pool} were innocent young boys would sign on, Tramp ships and be seen many months later, if they were lucky with a pay off slip, But you were not allowed to stay ashore long, in them far off days as every ship needed good crew members ? just like this forum,and jobs were plentyful {What Happen} I still dont know? only some of this is true most of the pubs down bute st are fiction now only in the history books,

8. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Why did you go to sea?

When I left school at 15 years it was to an engineering apprenticeship ashore with Reid Gear Co. near Glasgow. It was the tradition there. Night classes plus day release to Higher National Certificate. Complete apprenticeship and grading. National Service was nearly finished but they were calling qualified engineers. Applied to shipping companies, Blue funnel came thro' with a job. All Blue Funnel shoreside engineers needed Ordinary National Cert. minimum. Obtained Part A second class.Avoid national service at all costs.
    I sailed with Blue funnel but wanted to study further and thro' Seafarers Education Service and Blue Flu was released for six month blocks at Imperial College, London, then six months sea for Diploma of Imperial College later upgraded to Masters degree(three blocks). Second Class motor with Blue Flu then El Choppo around 1969.
    Then to Texaco Junior 2/E and Second Class steam as well, then First Class Steam and Motor over the years.El Choppo again about 1984 with 15 years service.
    PandO bulk shipping (tankers). Gulf all the time, war everywhere. No life to be had. Going to end up dead.
    Into Paisley University same again six month blocks at Paisley six months agency work at sea.
    While at Paisley I was tapped up (headhunted down south) for Dept of Transport (now MCA) and accepted their offer. In DoT in six month blocks instead of sea. Graduated with Honours and Doctorate through Civil Service (CNAA).
    Into MCA full time as Trainee Surveyor then Grade two surveyor then Grade one surveyor then Examiner of Engineers then Principal Engineer and Ship Surveyor for West of Scotland.
    Now retired and glad to see the end of it. Dont remember any good times at sea any good times I had were all spent at home, engineers job was just a work up.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Reason For Going To Sea.

Greetings one & all,
    The reason I went to sea was simple, from as far back as I can remember all I wanted to do was to travel & see the world, I didn't even know when I left school at fifteen what job I wanted to do, however coming from the Liverpool area the best way to travel and see the world was to join the Merchant Navy the biggest & best Merchant Navy in the world at that time, this was implanted in my mind long before I left school.
    But when I told my Dad what my intentions were he told me in no uncertain terms that I will go in the Army as he did something I didn't want to do so I gave up the idea, but a stroke of luck came my way a good mate of mine a couple years older than me who was serving an apprenticeship in engineering decided he would go and get his national service over & done with at eighteen & would I be interested in replaceing him as they wanted a replacement apprentice so I jumped at the chance had my interveiw was hired served my time got deffered to complete it, attended day & night school (Balliol Road College Bootle) and ended up going to sea after all five years later but with a good trade in my hands which also stood me in good stead along with my seagoing experience to find employment on quite a few overseas contracts which I did practically most of my working life but i have to say ther most interesting & enjoyable time working was in the Merchant navy just wish I could do all over again.
    Neville brought back some wonderfull memories in his thread my dad also took me on the Overhead Railway from Seaforth to Dingle & back seeing all those ships loading and discharging to & from ports all over the world made me all the more determing to go to sea.
    Sorry folks if I have prattled on a bit but this tread has brought back so many wonderfull memories I could write & talk about all day.
    I have managed to get VHS recording of the the "Overhard Railway" which I have a look at from time to time.
    Best wishes to one & all,
    John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lof

Hello John,
    By the look of the funnel you must have been with LOF.
    I was with them from 69 to 73 as cadet and third mate.

Brgds,

Archie Coulter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default welcome!

Hi Archie
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

If this applies to you then please do send in your details!
    Note Well

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
    Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
    to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
    We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
    Thank you
    Vernon (castleman)

Please go to following Link

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1974

Or reply to me in person! Via Private Message Link above below I will pass on the info!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/p...?do=newpm&u=18

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
    Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
    Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery...ry.php?cat=558

If you have already done this then please accept my apologies!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast