Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you go to Sea?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We used to live in a Pub by the docks in Sunderland, I used to listen to the tales of the crews that visited the pub Told my old man that I wanted to go to sea!! went to GSS in Dec 1958 joined my first ship Mv " Llanishen" in Jan 59 and retired two months short of fifty years at sea Enjoyed it all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mick Wisher

Like many have said, I had it in my mind from about 12 years old to go to sea, I got away after ten weeks at the sea school in Tyne Dock, at 16, a year later than I had intended to go, due to interference from my elders. !! I yearned for travel, and variety, I loved everything about the life, and learned to accept some ships were better than others, but I learned from those around me, that with the dozens and dozens of companies there was always vast differences. I stayed in many 'missions', while on leave, I found it just the llife for me. No matter what my situation in life was I always got a job when I showed up at the pool. It suited my temperament as I never to this day cared for responsibility, and it was just the life for a single man, who after a leave of indulgences, !! drink and ladies of questionable 'styles', took the first ship heading south that was offered. Of course like all industries it has change beyond recognition, but it was the best life for me, and I really do miss it, looking at the pictures of the ships in the gallery I would do the same if life gave us another go. !! I mangaged to squeez 43 years out of it and never regretted a moment. I met some great shipmates, and at least we can have some good laughs at the life in general.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Lof.

Greetings Archie,
    Many thanks for your reply it is nice when you get replies to your messages something that a lot of people don't do, not so much on this web site but others.
    Glad you have enjoyed the LOF web site & fancy you being at the 2004 reunion I wouldn't mind betting that we even had a word with one another while there because I did my best to talk to as many people as I could.
    The two shipmates I met were Dave Vincent second mate at the time but went on to become a Captain, he incidently went with the Bank Line after LOF the other lad was a Junior Engineer at the time, I was sailing Fourth his name was Tommy March, sadly Tommy died about three years ago & I attended his funeral in York.
    I just wish I could have been at sea for 40 years I only managed seven but they were seven wonderfull years full of great memories just wish I could do it all over again.
    Lets hope that there will be another reunion if so then we will make a point of meeting.
    Have you looked at all the photos taken at the reunions when I finish this message then I will have look to see if there is one of you, there are a couple of me my wife Kathleen & youngest daughter Catherine.
    Well Archie that's it for now will look forward to more messages from you in the meantime take care & happy sailing.
    Best wishes,
    John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Why I went to Sea......??? errr.........Gulp!

I was sat in English Lit at school (which I hated) when a prefect came into the class asking if anyone wanted to take the exam for nautical school to go to the school hall. So I jumped at the chance to get out of English Lit.

While I was sitting the exam I remember wondering what is nautical school! (I was only 13).

Passed the exam and ended up at Boulevard Nautical School in Hull, and from there to sea as Cadet with Buries Markes.

So as you can see I ended up at sea purely by accident, or a trick of fate.

It was certainly "being in the right place at the right time" as I enjoyed seven years before being led astray by a woman, and ended up ashore and married.

That was certainly "being in the wrong place at the wrong time"!!!!!
    Ernest in Sunny Spain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Why did I go to sea?

Like many engineers in the late fifties, I went to sea rather than waste 2 years in the army. All my mates had been called up - they asked for the Air Force so were put in the Army! - and I was lucky to pass an interview (with the Board of Trade, I think) to allow me to sail. After trying every shipping office in Liverpool one horrible wet winter's day, I scored a job with PSNC and sailed 4 days later for South America. They abolished compulsory military training while we were on that first voyage (what a party!) but I later joined Port Line and did 3 years before coming ashore. Fantastic memories - ain't it odd how we remember the good times and forget the hard times? Although I had completed my engineering apprenticeship, I reckoned I only started to become an engineer when I was at sea! Now I live in Auckland, and share a 32-foot launch with 2 friends. So I still go to sea, even if only for the odd day or two. Cheers, Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Going to Sea

Hi Steve.
    After all these years,I have no recollection
    of why I went to sea in the first place.All I
    know is that it was the best move I have
    ever made(after getting married).

Dave Williams(R583900)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Why?

I had an uncle from West Hartlepool who served in the RN during WW11 and MN for a couple of years thereafter, he regaled me with yarns; his son five years older than me joined the MN as a steward and was a winger on the Queen of Bermuda making a lot of money. The nine till five routine never did appeal so " Bobs you uncle" or rather my uncle and my mother never forgave him.Ha Ha
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs down Convoys and mines

Hi shipmates I was out last night having a few beers , an a extra one for Daveys birthday,{GULLIVER} with my mate Laurie 85yrs an old sea dog,and I asked him this question? Why did you go to sea ?His answer {There was a war on} he was too young for the army.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Life seemed to be flying past for me and I could see that my future was all planned out. So of to sea I went to stop the onset of getting old and responsible and I am glad to say that it worked. Still get told that I am mad.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Glastonbury, Somerset, United Kingdom Hometown
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since a small lad I wanted desperately to be in the R.A.F. but they thought I was much too stupid and not fit enough to go anywhere near their shiney aeroplanes. (mummy and I thought it was their loss!!)
    A friend from school had applied to go to the 'Vindi' so I thought that it sounded like a good adventure, so followed him. I really do'nt know why as my only sea going experience was on a cross Channel ferry and I was sea sick all the way there and back! I continued to suffer sea sickness with every trip.
    I only spent 3 years at sea, (1964-'67) but I believe they were the best years of my early life.

11. Likes mike lowe liked this post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast