Thread: Sydney to Hobart race

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sydney to Hobart race

Seeing mention of the Sydney to Hobart race on another thread brought back memories of my first trip.
    It was in 1969 on the Canopic and we had 2 yachts as deck cargo 1 was the Dunhill racing team and the other one was Ted Heath's Morning Cloud.
    I think it was in the Indian Ocean that we hit some really bad weather and they both shifted, still in the cradles but had moved quite a bit.
    The Chippy and a few others managed to get them secure again. When they were unloaded in Aussie the Dunhill team manager gave the Chippy a nice dropsy,
    Ted Heath came on board in Sydney and never said a word to the Chippy. Don't know if the old man got anything.
    We had quite lot of deck cargo that trip including lots of empty steel containers, about 4 ft square which I believe were going back to be filled with wine then sent back to the U.K. for bottling.
    Is it correct that the old man got a percentage of the value of any deck cargo?
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sydney to Hobart race

That would be one for the book Michael. Think of all the rich skippers offshore in the North Sea if that was the case. Ref. The Morning Cloud , I also have a post on here with mention of a document I found in a motel phone kiosk about 1973 but would have to look up to get the date exact . It read like a planned attack and the Morning Cloud was also mentioned. Not too long after this document was handed over an IRA cell was found in Southhampton. I too never received any confirmation from the police and needless to say none from the chief dhobey master himself , was probably too busy fiddling with his violin with his European friends , not one of our better PMs. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Incident Race this one was, but even so quite a good one always like to watch what i can on the Box. So once again it too now is all over and we must just await the next one now!
    Line Honours go t the SuperMaxi "Blackjack" Congratulations !
    Cheers

Sydney to Hobart yacht race line honours go to Black Jack in crawling overnight finish - ABC News
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 I always say the same thing when see the crews of those yachts all sitting on the weather taffrail for ballast. And theres only the wife to hear me. There's enough men there to man a VLCC and have men to spare . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Michael,
    Your quote of the Sydney to Hobart race and the 'Super Yachts' prompts me to mention a series of books by J M Hartwig, all about racing and yachting in general. They are cracking yarns with skullduggery and mystery combined with his obvious love of the Sea. Most are centered on Australian waters........ a darn good read. From Chris Hurren

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Sullivan, Michael Black liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes always a good race,
    Did cross paths with some a few years back when the cruise ship was in the waters there.
    Some spectacle to see, but this year the weather was very bad, a number had to pull out.

Good mate of mine, crossed the bar now, was a rabid sailor.
    Did the Melbourne to Tassie one some 33 times.

Also did a two man from Osaka to Melbourne, some journey.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well its near time once again for this Great Ocean Yacht Race, one i watch on a very Regular basis and enjoy immensely!

As many will know the Start is on Boxing Day from Sydney Harbour where many Large and smaller Yachts will take part in one of the Finest Races around, although there is of course the also Great one From Cape Town to Rio, starting Sunday 2nd Jan 2023.

So for any of those that are interested in the Races, get set make sure you have your Beer Ration ready, and just sit and Enjoy! I know i sure as hell will! LOL

Merry Christmas ALL.

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2022

50th anniversary of Cape2Rio Sailing Race date announced (yachtsandyachting.com)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Michael.
    Don't know if the skipper got a sling for the deck cargo, but the crew always got a case of fruit to take home, provided we were never caught.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks Michael Black, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post