Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Class distinction

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Class distinction

There was a post wavering on the edge of this subject . Maybe this would be better off in the memories section. Anyhow we all have our memories and know our paths in life may have been totally different if ... Only If ? However I am quite happy with my life as was and now, anyhow have no choice. But memories will always be there . Round about 1950 apart from having two paper rounds part time occasional work at butchers and cobblers , in my spare time I was an avid reader of all nautical literature, and all the Hornblower books that came in my sphere were dog eared before being discarded. Unbeknown to my parents I wrote to the Admiralty at about 12/13 years of age not letting on this significant information . I received an application form back from Dartmouth which opened my eyes to the world in general and enabled me partially to take off the rose tinted glasses. Information required for a selection panel ... Had I any relatives present naval serving officers, how many foreign languages did I speak, how many musical instruments could I play , was I conversant with modern dancing . All things non nautical but handy to have at what I imagined wardroom parties. Things are supposed to be different today , but who knows under that layer of fine top soil ? Needless to say I discarded the application form , and sought information from the local recruiting office for entry at 15 as a boy seaman , which my parents wouldn’t sign in any case .
    Such is the wonderment of youth and our aspirations to better things. At the end of day we all finish up in the same place anyway. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th December 2021 at 11:03 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Class distinction

I was in Dartmouth Naval College about 5 years ago and a tour was in progress, in that erstwhile establishment there were many uniformed peoples of all nationalities running hither and hither, doing what god only knows, must have been to impress the tour. There were also many fine models of naval vessels as well as RFA vessels, alas these RFA models were flying the White Ensign in their glass cases. I did point out to the tour guide and an administrator that these RFA vessels should be flying the Blue Ensign as their operating crews were Merchant Navy personnel, I was as popular as a fox in a henhouse and if looks could kill I would not be here. I was wearing my MN blazer at the time (on purpose to show them what a real seaman looked like!!)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan if it wasn’t for the 4 years I spent partially employed by the MOD I may of had similar sentiments, although I spent 4 years permanent on the one vessel it was a 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off system , and very often during the 4 weeks off I was called back to various off shore vessels to fill in for a missing or sick mate for a week or so, so had a foot in both camps one might say. I found the RN regulars in the naval party on my permanent ship to be very much the same as us , same faults and same way of life. However the department of the Navy I worked with were a close knit group in any case , so may of been a true example in general. As naval discipline in their eyes was temporary suspended whilst on a civilian ship the first thing they did was exchange their blue boiler suits for orange ones, the next was to grow their hair including facial hair against naval regulations , their diving officer a lieutenant or lieutenant /commander was part of a team which worked like clockwork with no bull dust. So I probably have a different slant on them. But like most men whenever the chance appeared to bypass discipline it was taken like the shortest distance between 2 points .The discipline was there as I saw in a few emergency cases and the average matelot has nothing to be ashamed off, it’s the way he is taught and the way he fits in with the teamwork that counts in his eyes. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    What was it with mothers that they wouldn't sign innocent papers for their wet behind the ears sons, I begged, pleaded and di everything everything for my mother to sign for me to go to sea school. I blamed my brother for jumping ship in NZ, she only relented when I said that I would run away.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well just me , but never had any troubles with Mum, signing any Papers for whatever reason, as she always said to us that your lives are your own, and you must do what you feel is right for you!
    I know though that she had many a day with a very Heavy Heart , after some of the things me and Greg decided to do. God Bless her!

Dad was much the same , said get on with your lives

Lucky us i guess!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Left the job I was on one Saturday, home and mum says what are you going to do.

Join the MN I said and Monday up to London to begin.
    No regrets, never looked back and still do as I wish.
    Much of what we do now is spontaneous but it works.

WE get some RAN Ships in Port Melbourne at times and the public allowed on board.
    All looks very clean and ready for service, but the crew are not real sailors just part of the armed services.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 15th December 2021 at 06:01 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John
    I hope you haven't been upsetting our brave sailors, by calling out, "Hello Sailor".
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The correct pronounciation Des is “ Hello Thailor “ , puts one back into the mystic east , I was careful and not said yeast notice. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best Class Distinction i ever knew was the English Teacher Miss Rose!@\
    She was very distinctive at the head of the Room a bit higher on a platform, always wore short Skirts , so the rest is History! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WE had a teacher at junior school, Miss Buchanan.
    She was from far north Queensland, not sure how she got out.

But as far as she was concerned all pupils and their parents were equal.
    Caused a bit of a fuss on school presentation nights when some parents though their kids were special.
    By the time she had done with them they went away very quietly.

But she had the best results when it came to end of junior school time exams.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast