Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Things that stick in the mind except the actual date.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Things that stick in the mind except the actual date.

Think it was 1979 . Others may know better as was the offshore expo held in Southhampton at the passenger terminal. We were on the berth and open ship to all visitors to the expo. Found it very embarrassing at times when I was delegated to stand at the top of the gangway and. Open all the females handbags and search for weapons or bombs. Was surprising what some women carry believe me. Certainly bombs the mind if nothing else. Also met Mountbattens nephew I think he was , believe he was head of BBC , had to give him a conducted bridge tour , found he asked the most technical questions of any other visitor. Could just imagine him getting a second opinion elsewhere on some of my answers , as were off the top of the head. Especially the quantity’s of and the rate of the fire monitors . You had to have 2 of the 4 main engines running to use, and I made the excuse that it was dirty harbour water and likely to clog up the ships intake system , he believed it or seemed to. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Things that stick in the mind except the actual date.

On the same subject of Expositions , the Montreal one of 66/67 I was also in a position to visit .This was a world wide expo. And was on a man made island and massive in comparison. Harold Wilson at the time tried to stop people taken cash out of the country , don’t think he was very successful. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hand bags??
    We have a friend who has what she calls her hand bag.
    If it was a suit case doubt it would be much smaller, and she is always complaining about shoulder ache!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Terry Sullivan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife has a handbag which IS a handbag…. but on lifting FEELS like a suitcase !!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once saw a lady in the workers Club in Blacktown Sydney, she was having trouble carrying her big black hand bag, and no wonder it was full to the brim with $1 coins, frightened to cash them into notes as she thought they may think she had been cheating.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Handbags....and Expos !

Handbags?!.I can't really say anything about them,except a Lady Bracknell quote from The Importance of Being Earnest ! LINK

But Expositions....yes !
    I was extremely lucky ,as a 17 year old first trip cadet to do a drydock in Osaka ,Japan for 10 days,where EXPO 70 was being held. Notwithstanding the horrific expense of Japan (I paid off with pennies,not pounds,I remember,) we all had a good time and well worth the experience.Back then ,25 years after the War,Japan was really on the 'up' and becoming a prominent.world trade participant. Their Expo showcases were excellent.

Here's a photo of me at Expo 70 with my pseudo-Beatle haircut ,22 inch waist -and two giggling schoolgirls,I think one was called Miyako-and they would both be grandmama-sans now,of course! And my waist has exactly doubled in size !

EXPO 70,Osaka.jpg
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 30th December 2021 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham.
    I don't like the Japs, I can't get over what they did during the war, but on saying that, I admire they way they rebuilt after what happened there compared to the UK and Aus especially Aus with no perceivable damage they are in another dimension.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 At least your not wearing winkle pickers as fire pumps Graham ! I was in Japan in 1953 7 -8 years after the war. Most of the young girls then were forced through circumstances to work in the bars and men’s places of amusement to make money for them and their family’s to survive , Japan was a much different place 20 years later. The cheap shoddy goods they produced a bit like the Chinese of today , soon changed to sought after much finer , especially in their optics , the Japanese are a hard working race who are very national minded . They were extremely cruel during the war but they did live by certain codes ,also speaking to ex Japanese pow’s a lot of the guards in the camps were Korean not Japanese . I think over the years I have visited Japan a dozen times so have been able to notice the differences over the years. My son visits Japan sometimes with some of his students in the martial arts , as in the higher degrees they have to go past the Grand Master , I don’t follow the martial arts but think it is about the 12th. Degree. Anyhow his aspect of Japan is totally different than mine . And is better he follows his own feelings about such. Cheers I won’t ask the obvious question , did you make honest women of them as know you are a gentleman and would be discreet. ? Cheers JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. To #8 and being a bit discreet. The top of the pops on the juke boxes in the girlie bars in the 50” s and can still hear them today in my head , was the song with the words “ well I’ve been to Hiroshima, Nagasaki too, the things I did to them Babe I can do to you. , because I’m a Fuji Yama Mama and I’m just about to rock , Fuji Yama Yama, Fuji Yama Mama and I’m just about to blow my top. “ , a few more verses anyone remember ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st December 2021 at 02:58 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Marian this may of been in another post some years ago. I’ll bet Cappy is already singing it and trying to jive . Frankie Laine singing Jealousy was in vogue at the same time. Also in a past post mentioned about the class A and B bars . B class was out of bounds to US servicemen so we always made for them as they were always cheaper, both the drinks and the entertainment. Still 9 hours of this year left here and now , so in case I Dont make it , have a good one and hope you spend it with your family. Regards JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st December 2021 at 07:16 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast