Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Vindi Bridge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Vindi Bridge

R683820. Attened the Vindi from 18.11.57 to 24.01.58. Apart from a trip home to South London for Christmas, the majority off the Ten Weeks at Sharpness was cold enough to "freeze the balls off a brass monkey". Heating in the Huts was all but non-existent. Food was not particularly sustaining, and polishing the stone/shiny concrete hut floor was not one of the better memories. Have to say that a lot of what was taught has stayed with me. Did six and bit years deep sea on deck. Made some good mates at the Vindi, but unfortunately I never got to sail with any of them. One friend was Lawrence. He was a keen photographer. One day he pointed his camera in the direction of the Severn Bridge and took a photograph. Thing was there was thick 'Pea-soup' fog, no bridge to be seen. He laughed and said it would be a great photo. He got the film processed and there it was, The Severn Bridge. He confided that he had been experimenting with Infrared Film.
    1964 all changed and off to New Zealand I flew. There was this lady you see. We married and had a family. Have maintained a maritime connection to the present day. Variously owning boats and working on a variety of craft. Tutoring and as an Examiner at Nautical Schools.

........................... Michael Foster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our group was lucky, we got three days off our course as the Christmas break was due and they said we did not have to come back for those few days.
    But your description is very accurate, freezing with little or no heating, wash in cold water, food, what food??
    But we survived and are still here to talk about it.

Did you ever eat the Sea Pie??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John, Lots of other Vindi memories have surfaced in my pea brain. I remember walking up the gangway which I recall lead straight into the Mess-Deck. Having picked up a plate with knife and fork, you also picked up ONE slice of bread which went with whatever else was on offer. One of the guy's that worked in the Galley kept on complaining about the "steam-fly" problem. I asked him about it, but he just said there were a lot of them and thats what people called them. Not long after I realised the steam-fly's were in fact Cockroaches and the ship was riddled with them..................... Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Michael.
    I was there in 49, like you went to NZ in 57, got on the coast, now in Aus for 49 years. Are there still any Vindi Association groups left in NZ?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steam Flys, very good source of Protein I am informed.
    Maybe that is why the officers never attempted to get rid of them.
    One slice and all you can eat with it, if you can find any thing that is.

What do you mean the bread is stale.
    That was fresh bought in just last week, stop complaining and eta up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My older brother Brian S Adams was a VINDI lad. Sadly died 27 months ago. Once he found Cunard he wouldn’t sail for anyone else. Have to locate his soft Paper backed Discharge book to confirm, but think it was 1949.
    Anyway, I always only heard roaches being called “Jaspers”, not know why. In US heard them referred to as “Steamies”. Am thinking that in 50 years or so when some intellect is researching this site for serious Merchant Navy/Marine information is going to be amazed at the variety of seemingly nonsense o stuff we discuss at length,
    Keith Adams
    R570384

9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Denis ,me and you together? I did a year of my NS at Fayid ,sand, flies and shite and lo and behold 6 years later I am on the bridge of the SS Papanui anchored in the great bitter lake and the second mate and myself searching for Fayid through my binocs ,all gone ,just sand flies and shite. I still kick myself for not going to sea instead of playing at soldiers.

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes there may be 3 i belong to the central branch as i was at 5hvindi july-sept 66

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Gordon my thoughts were the same but without being in the army I probably would not have got the opportunity to join the MN it was being in the Signals that led me down that path and seeing the ships transiting to canal. Rgds Den

15. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Denis , I assume you are talking about your national service re- army time. ? I Left school in 1952 one of my school chums exactly the same age and birthday as me. He Joined the post office as a telegram boy and was long enough there to get his motorbike. I assume then he signed up for National Service or May have joined the regular army at 18. However about 1962 which would have made him about 25 I bumped in to him and his German wife at a party in the UK. He talked all posh to what I remembered and asked him where he got the accent. He was a sergeant major in the Royal Corps of Signals and stationed in Germany with the BAOR . Now that I call rapid promotion as Fouro thinks 6 years is to short to rise from private to Colonel in wartime. I think promotion in the Russian army is very rapid these days , they should be paying more roubles as danger money especially to general officers or they will soon be drying up. I assume you got the signaling bug in the army ? Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th April 2022 at 11:21 AM.
    R575129

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast