Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Channels

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Channels

If ever there was a better example it would be
    hard to beat the one 60 years ago today.
    It was the final day of the maiden voyage
    of the Oriana 5 months to the day we had joined
    October 24th 1960 at Barrow, and now we were
    finally home. I know tanker men went away
    for much longer, I myself did a 9 month trip
    due to the N.Z dock strike 1951.
    But we were mainly Liverpool men used to short
    trips to Montreal & New York, and quite a few were
    recently married, no one who hasn't been to sea
    would appreciate 'The Channels'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Channels

The channels, what memories that brings back.
    On the Lavender ladies it was all go getting the ship ,in good condition for arrival back in Southampton.
    The galley in particular had to be squeaky clean for the superintendant to inspect.
    All would be good, then come back after ten days leave and it would look like a bomb had gone through it.
    Same for many other sections as well, makes one wonder just whet the stand by crews got up to.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cannot remember how we were paid from UC when we arrived in Southampton, did we all queue up to draw cash ?, must have been some time to get all paid. Most ships i was on we were paid cash at the end of the trip, on a few occasions if it was a large amount of money i have had to return to the shipping office in London to draw the money. I did a 10 month trip, and paid off with a large amount of money, and coming home with it in my pocket. Would be a bit dodgy nowadays, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Same for many other sections as well, makes one wonder just whet the stand by crews got up to.
    To me, the worst job at sea 'Stand-by crew in port' in the UK. Never a moments a rest, repairers, storers, stevedores, none of whom give a sh*te about your home or have any respect for it: wandering around every alleyway in dirty boots, boiler suits rubbing along the lovingley cared for paintwork and varnish work, banging their tool bags and equipment against it, some may be genuine tradesmen, some may be not, so you have to keep an eye on everybody; at least in Japan every trade wore a different coloured boiler suit or helmet, most of ours were dressed like Andy Capp!. People constantly knocking at your door, the sound of rivet guns, mechanical chippers, maundy hammers echoing around the vessel, waiting for 1800 to come only to be told they're working through the night. Living in some one else's cabin still with their gear in it even though you have all your gear with you in case you get sent straight to another vessel which is sailing, so much more. Just be glad you were on leave!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had the channels every time I came home from a long trip, funny feeling that, but I wish I had some of the big payoffs Keith had, I think the biggest was 180 pounds after twelve months, which when you considered that we were only paid 360 pounds a year before overtime, wasn't too bad I suppose.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5. My very first pay off after 6 months was 27 pounds 7/6d .which was not too bad considering we had been to Japan , and the wages were only 75 pounds a year. Always tried using the same bars as the seamen used as a lot would take pity on you and throw you a crumb now and again. I did the same with an apprentice off a Harrison ship in Trinidad in 1967 , we were paid cash in hand $ dollars US every month we showed him sights he is probably still telling his grandchildren today. Limbo dancing was the time of the day for starters won’t say what the sweet was JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amazing the change in times and pays/
    Although never had a big Pay off as the Trips were a lot shorter than what has been posted, the biggest i recall was around the 120 GBP mark, but that was good , as i was then only on about the 500 GBP a Year. That payoff was with Tips of course!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think after that very first trip , we had a pay rise in 1953 and that first years wages shot up to the dizzying heights of 90 pounds a year , so my indentures tell me. I remember the 5 big white fivers ,as only kept one for myself and gave the rest to my mother to buy a tv and/ or a washing machine which were manual in those days and had to turn a handle to get the paddles working. Went into a cafe with this big white fiver and ordered a cup of coffee which was 2d. Nigh on caused a panic, had to put name and address on the back before they would take.However my ploy still didn’t work because the waitress still wouldn’t come out with me. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th March 2021 at 04:09 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did a few Standby stints as well, and it wasnt too bad at all on the UCL Ships as we did not do as much work as when at Sea to be honest, at times was like a rest, but yes there was work to be done, but well worth the Double Time we got (That is your normal wage that was paid out at end of Trip and then so many days on standby) so a good extra bit in ones Skyrocket! Only thing as you know was that it was no rest really as before you knew it, you were again off on the next Trip.
    But as said only did a few times!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only recall pay off day going to the pig to get the money and a cheap rail ticket to London.
    That was with UCL, not sure about other ships.
    Was once asked to work stand by instead of leave, no thanks the lady is waiting for me at home.
    Well there may have been more, kit was a long time ago and i cannot recall all events.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast