Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: watch keeping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: watch keeping

Fouro most didn’t realize that when the cockroach inside which made the ticking noise , died , that was it, so depended on how old the cockroach was when you bought the watch. JS
    R575129

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    Hi John,
    Could be to remind you of MacGregor the bum boat man who sold them to you.

Fouro.
    Jock MacGregor lol, now there was an entrepreneur for you, gilly gilly man, magician , master of accents, worlds worst Babar I bet a few of us on here nearly ended up like this fellavan G.jpg Van Gogh

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always admired engineers, how they could put up with all that noise and heat beat the hell out of me. I helped out a few times with the rigging when they had to change pistons or something. When they retired they must have been deaf., it only took me a month using a Ramset Gun to get deaf, they put up with all that noise for years.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Jock MacGregor lol, now there was an entrepreneur for you, gilly gilly man, magician , master of accents, worlds worst Babar I bet a few of us on here nearly ended up like this fellavan G.jpg Van Gogh
    Remember buying a watch from him.
    He held it up to my ear and I heard to it ticking.
    Got back to the ship and it had stopped.
    It had no inside.
    Found out later, that the ticking came from him clicking his finger nails together.
    That was my first trip.
    I was very careful after that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Las Palmas watches were very similar.
    Very cheap and good looking, ticked like a bomb when you picked them up.
    By the time the ship was ready to sail they ticked no more.
    There must be thousands in the water just outside the Las Palmas heads.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going back to the thread starter by Mike, Steering by compass no gyro, Hatch Boards, Tarps, Hatch Bars , Wooden Wedges, Topping Dericks with ratchet gear and Monkey Face plates, Taking a reading from the log wheel, Sounding both Bunker and Water tanks with sounding keys, Repairing Spa Ceilings, Bilge Diving, And many more duties where the norm for many of us right up until 1970 when i was aboard the last ship i was in without all the luxuries Haines Norse Tre Boats, I tramped around South America and the Caribbean, The Mexican gulf Aboard the Trevaylor for 4 months these where everyday duties. Storing the Anchor chain, We where all the same when we where fresh out of sea school Gravesend where i graduated as a peanut you found as Mike says it was the way we where trained as young lads. And i could box the compass both clockwise and Anti Clockwise, It was called seamanship Mike, Even had a sick list on the Binnacle Happy days mate Terry. p.s. ohhhhh i forgot talking of the Engine room remember the shout when you were working on deck at sea and needed power
    STEAM ON DECK DRIVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 22nd December 2020 at 11:10 PM.
    {terry scouse}

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Going back to the thread starter by Mike, Steering by compass no gyro, Hatch Boards, Tarps, Hatch Bars , Wooden Wedges, Topping Dericks with ratchet gear and Monkey Face plates, Taking a reading from the log wheel, Sounding both Bunker and Water tanks with sounding keys, Repairing Spa Ceilings, Bilge Diving, And many more duties where the norm for many of us right up until 1970 when i was aboard the last ship i was in without all the luxuries Haines Norse Tre Boats, I tramped around South America and the Caribbean, The Mexican gulf Aboard the Trevaylor for 4 months these where everyday duties. Storing the Anchor chain, We where all the same when we where fresh out of sea school Gravesend where i graduated as a peanut you found as Mike says it was the way we where trained as young lads. And i could box the compass both clockwise and Anti Clockwise, It was called seamanship Mike, Even had a sick list on the Binnacle Happy days mate Terry. p.s. ohhhhh i forgot talking of the Engine room remember the shout when you were working on deck at sea and needed power
    STEAM ON DECK DRIVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hi terry
    boxing the compass, and good seamanship by fellow crew members, all good memories, except for one particular edh working with me who couldnt tie a bowline knot and every knot he tied was a half hitch,as for steering, just sitting in the crews mess we always knew whom was on the helm.
    tom

9. Likes Red Lead Ted, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom, I think every ship had a village idiot, p.s. what part of scouseland are you from Tom Regards Terry in Seaforth.
    {terry scouse}

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Hi Tom, I think every ship had a village idiot, p.s. what part of scouseland are you from Tom Regards Terry in Seaforth.
    hi ted
    born in bootle, father from seaforth mother from marsh lane, both sides irish.
    tom

13. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2