Thread: The road to Damascus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The road to Damascus

Durng 1989 I was requested by a well known English P.L.C.to travel out to Syria in order to assist in unravelling a problem they had with the Israili boycott office.On arrival in Damascus I was informed there were many problems with many people being jailed for changing foreign currency under the counter ,and various dealings which were opposed to the government.The whole feel about Damascus was to say the least was a feeling of unease.On the morning of the meeting I approached the Israili boycott office and was met by an unshaven local in a harris tweed sports coat ,brandishing a A.K.47 who shouted at me "This is not the Boycott office ,this is the H.Q. of Abu Nadal.However the office was next door,Knocked and waited for about ten minutes,and was then ushered into a room to be met by a young lady who would be acting as my translator.
    The man sitting in the chair was a Syrian by the name of Dr Nouella.I then presented the case through the translator,which was a farce,as the Dr understood everything I was saying,but going through the translator gave him time to think of the answers.The outcome of the meeting resulted in a complete victory for the U.K.P.L.C.and was informed we would receive confirmation by post.
    Back to the hotel which was complete bedlam,the hotel manager had been arrested and the hotel shut down,all flghts out of Damascus had been cancelled and the only way out was by bus into Jordon the following day,but advised to turn up early to secure a place.The next day I turn up at the central square and there it ,best described as a 1956 Wallace Arnold with caged chickens on the roof.Buy the ticket and we are on board along with 50 locals all heading for Amman.armed with boiled eggs ,homus and plenty of primus stoves.
    We had been on the road for about an hour when we were stopped at a road block.It was at this time when a rather attractive lady sitting in the seat in front of mine,turned and explained in perfect English that"this is normal,they will be either Drouze Millitia ,Falange,or P.L.O.""We wre than subjected to a very hostile checking of passports and visas I had to remember not to eyeball the guy just give your passport which I did and it was thrown back at me.We were then allowed to continue the journey,only to be stopped a Further four times,the final block the worst.
    It is now getting dark and we are travelling through a forest area and numerous camp fires could be seen through the trees.Out steps a figure holding a lantern,this was the P.L.O.They came on to the bus and shouted in Arabic That all the women must leave the bus and stand in line.There were tears and wailing and an overall sense of fear as the women disembarked.They were gone for about an hour,and on return they had obviously been badly treated and robbed of ivarious pieces of jewelry .The lady sitting in the front of me informed me she makes the journey twice a week as her husband was a dentist working in Amman,and nothing changes
    In conclusion ,we finally cross the border into Jordon and cannot wait for the sanctuary of the Hotel.The first priority (being ex M.N.) is to hit the mini bar for a large one.Pour the drink and try to obtain some sort of channel on the T.V.After about an hour I manage to tune in to some kind of News programme and low and behold who is reading the news but the Lady I had just spent eight hours of hell with,with not a hair out of place.
    And now the rub,on my return to the uk and one month later I was advised that Dr Nouella had been assassinated and replaced by a General ,as you were!!
    Finally, having been a member of this wonderful site for the past eighteen months,must say I enjoy the writings of Gulliver, Castleman and the pen of Captain Kong,who must be thanked for taking us all down memory lane,and then somewhat perturbed by those who criticize.
    Remember we are all ex members of an elite society and what memories.
    Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WOW! What an adventure Michael, beats the hell out of sitting in front of a computer critisizing. It just shows that there are still adventures out there to be had. Thanks for the comment.
    Fascinating reading,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Many thanks for that " modern day heads up" on the goings on of all those middle eastern factions.The lady you mentioned must have a ton of courage to make the trip so regularly.Sorry if this post is a bit late mate I've had a busy week.Mort.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag