Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cuba

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cuba

Just to finish off the post about submarines and to avoid straying off the path of virtue. Just to complete Ivans statement of Dive ! Dive ! Dive ! , most seamen will know what word should precede the word Dive. Every country had its myths and the good and bad things they produce. Cuba is no exception, they were responsible for Castro , Cigars , making Coco Cola famous by that famous shout Dos Cuba Libre, meaning two rums and coke, and of Dolores , Cuba’s Answer to Japan’s Mata Hari, a well known friend of Ivans who was never brought to trial for interfering with young impressionable jack tars. I think Dolores was a Cuban National unless she was a refugee from Guatemala , Ivan would be the best one to answer that one. Nothing like our own Vera Lynn who many today will remember with nostalgia. When once again she sings for today’s special occasion “ We”ll meet again “. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th May 2020 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cuba

John, you're making me cry with nostalgia, I don't think it was a case of 'we'll meet again' as much as 'Well! meat again!!' and Dolores was definitely Cuban, as you could tell by the number of cigars she smoked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the few posts on Cuba, have never heard anyone mention Boqueron a small one ship alongside port for the loading of sugar. It had one pub on the actual quayside famous for its usual clientele, It was almost practically up alongside the wire of the American base of Guantanamo Bay. It is hard to believe that all during the hostile enmity’s between the USA and Cuba that the Americans had armed forces stationed there , which makes it patently obvious that the story put out about the abortivee invasion which they were blamed for by some dubious media outfits makes it appear highly unlikely. Just another story to sell papers ??. I was actually in Guantontamano Bay as took cargo there in 1987 but didn’t get a chance to ask. I refer to the Bay of Pigs fiasco. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th May 2020 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Making me cry Ivan ! First Habanaera dance 1950. Last visit 2017. Now strum Cuban music, dance tango, smoke their cigars, drink rum, etc., etc. Some of the above I don't do so well. Cheers, Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eric,
    stop smoking, drink more rum, the rest will all fall into place ha ha!
    In my case, fall being the operative word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of the offshore sugar loading ports it was sometimes necessary at various times to make a lee for the lighters , and this was accomplished by the use of the commonly referred to as the Insurance wire. This was the largest wire on most cargo ships and was primary there for the use of towing if necessary. Although a heavy wire to manually handle it was passed from the ships quarter and up the ships side and shackled onto the anchor cable at the after end of the ship it was turned up on the bitts . The anchor cable was paid out and the ships head was pulled around to wards the wind and tide to which the ship rode. After the days work you just took the weight off this cable by heaving the anchor cable into its original position.
    The only other time I saw the Insurance wire in use was at a port on the Plate called San Nicholas where you tied up to a cliff face , the only way to get off the face after loading grain from shutes at the top of the cliffs was by using the kedge anchor attached to the insurance wire and laid prior to going alongside. Heaving on both bower and stern anchors to get off.
    These uses of the insurance wire required manpower which you wouldn’t have today, after all the sweat using this wire I would have much preferred seeing a large salvage trophy on the end of it on a Lloyd’s open form. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th May 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4... maybe it’s time to ease back on the Limbo Dancing Eric , doesn’t do much for the thigh and back muscles.cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try The slop slop tango Eric, that's the one with a rum in each hand as you dance. Or is it the one with a girl on each arm as you drink?
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those were the days, Bermuda, Bahamas, CUBA, countless West Coast South America ports, Magellen Punta Arenas then north to Trinidad, Boston, home. circumnavigated South America. So good, signed on for next trip, similar, but Awful old PSNC Lobos, rust bucket, rotten grub, many hot spots. Strum'n dance now to 'Hot Hot Hot', must've been seafarer's life. Cuban cigars, rum, etc on my balcony. All welcome. Cheers, Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9 Don’t know what Bermuda is like today , but in 1967 it was well known to me as was there every 6 weeks for the best part of a year. We even used to carry the occasional carriage horse when the biggest motor vehicle. Was a small cc .motorbike. A British police force completed the picture, of who. One admonished me for setting a bad example when my hired motor bike was found up a lamppost. How I ever managed to get it there I have no idea it was a feat in itself.
    Good job we didn’t have Safety officers in those days or would have been questions about hard hats and safety boots. We carried everything from pins to liquor , one of the worse commodities was believe it or not was hay for horse feed , we used to have two holds every trip for discharge round the Virgin Islands, there were two major brands .. green label. And red label and if discharged the wrong lot in the wrong port there was Hell to pay. Never knew horses were so particular. The other thing was mail as we were the official mail ship , over carried mail was a sackable offence. As regards Hamilton in Bermuda we always dropped a bow anchor to enable us to get off Quay, no bow thrusters in those days. JS...
    PS Eric maybe the Rum Bum And Baccy bit didn’t correspond with the Bermuda shorts lifestyle.one thing about a seagoing life one could at one time always change the scenery , was the biggest advantage of all. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th May 2020 at 12:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast