Thread: Rescues at Sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rescues at Sea

I thought this one might be interesting. Back in 1969 around 1st of October, a restored Tyneside Paddle Tug, the last working one in the world as it happens, and named the "Eppleton Hall" was on it's way to America via the Canary Islands and the Panama Canal. She ran out of fuel in the Bay of Biscay a little north of La Corunna. Her call to passing vessels for a relief supply of diesel (not fuel oil) were not getting any positive results until a yacht named the "Braemar" responded with enough fuel to get her to La Corunna. This was followed shortly afterwards by an offer to supply enough diesel by the master of the MacAndrew vessel "Cervantes", commanded by my father Robert McKinlay to get her to Lisbon. She subsequently arrived alongside in flat calm weather after the terrific storm that the "Eppleton Hall" had battled and used up her fuel. Over several hours,plenty of diesel was transferrred,-- with a half inch garden hose! (God knows what that was usually used for). According to the half a chapter the captain of the "Eppleton Hall"'s book, a general exchange of goodwill, food and booze was enjoyed aboard both vessels by the crews,officers and master of both. The "Eppleton Hall" made it safely to San Francisco, her now permanent home I believe.

Ian McKinlay
    (ex Blue Funnel)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rescues at Sea

Thanks for that Ian, an interesting event - there are some pictures and information of the Eppleton Hall HERE

Also a picture of your fathers ship HERE
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 28th April 2020 at 03:40 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chris, thank you so much for the very detailed and thorough stuff on the "Eppleton Hall". I have a signed copy of the book Scott Newhall wrote and sadly both he and my father are no longer with us. He was effusive in his dedication in the front of his book and I also have a mounted hygrometer presented to my dad by Scott Newhall.Thanks too for the photo. I have an archive of MacAndrew photos and materials,mostly made when I was a schoolboy and not many of the latter days of MacAndrews from the late 60's and 70's.
    Ian

4. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Chris, brought back a few memories, with the mention of Seaham Harbour, I was there a few times o the Corfleet, just looked at my book I signed off her in Seaham, Sept 56
    Des

6. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    middlemount and bundaberg queensland australia
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my father was a cook on stevie clarkes colliers and docked in seaham harbour on a regular basis and I would visit the ship as a teenager, I well remember watching the old paddle tug working the ships in that small harbour. a sight I will always treasure.