Thread: Life at Sea post MN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Life at Sea post MN

Lets see if Doc Vernons directions work.
    If So this is the start of A new life working In Remote sites in Remote Countries.

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Life at Sea post MN

No joy at the moment Spencer, but don't give in, kt
    R689823

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t really understand this post, if however it means life at sea post British Shipping viz foreign flag then it deserves a few replies. From 1966 to 1971 I sailed foreign flag, in those days it was considered by the shipping federation to be a no no thing to do. But my idea was if there was more opportunity elsewhere it was not the BSF choice to make that decision for you. Without discussing the ships themselves will just do a brief character assessment of their masters , out of about 7 I sailed with , only 2 stood out as below par to my thinking , one was just plain ignorant and didn’t know where Dakar was and had to recheck with the owner that it wasn’t Dacca in East Pakistan at the time. The other idiot was the most rude person you could manage to meet , and port authority’s approached me looking for ways to bring him down to size , he was a Yugoslav sailing under the Bahamas flag, and the BOT surveyor asked me if anything on the ship was wrong apart from the idiot in command, he said to me if he could stop the ship he would , so my small contribution was the medicine locker , all its contents were not in English , however this was soon fixed. Leaving a South American port for Italy he sailed with no stores, nearly killing some through malnutrition , he was sacked on arrival Italy , but wouldn’t hand over to the new Iranian master until the ship got back to Southern Ireland. The unusual thing about this ship is that I can’t remember it’s name , along with a couple of others. People yes . But must have a mental blockage, and have lost the paper discharge. Reading through this it is not correct. The description of the ship
    With the starvation conditions was another Occassion on a foreign vessel in 1985. The first Occassion
    Was in 1970. Two different periods of time. All in all to all intents and purposes I have been on F.F. Ships at varying times . 66 to 71 was only the first lengthy period. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th March 2020 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. The Dakar one... 1970 loaded coke in Poland for Karachi , crossing the Bay of Biscay showed me the cable received .. proceed Dakar for Bunkers , he questioned me where it was and asked could they not mean Dacca, I said no Dakar was on our route. He would not take my word and asked the office to confirm which Dakar did they mean, the answer came back ask the mate, it didn’t improve our relationship any. The galley boy if we had one could have told him. That was only one of many errors he made. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some years ago there was a story circulating about a Bangladeshi guy in N. Shields. He wanted to go to Dacca to visit his family but could not afford the air fare so decided to go by train.
    He went to the local station and asked for a ticket to Dacca, sorry mate, dont know where that is, here is a ticket to Newcastle, ask there.
    Asking the same question at Newcastle he was sent to London where he eventually got his wish.
    After some time in Dacca he decided to return so off he went to Dacca station and asked for a ticket to Shields,
    ticket clerk replies
    North or South?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was that the one who said “ my daddy was a Geordie he go to south shiely for further education “ ?, spoken in the accent of his primary country. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th March 2020 at 10:32 AM.

9. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

class