Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ladies on Ships, not New Zealand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ladies on Ships, not New Zealand.

On the Beechwood in the 70"s lying at General terminus (Glasgow) right opposite that house of good repute Bettys Bar we had occassion to sail with an unwanted guest, as I made a point of going round the ship at about 0700 hours every morning to make sure the ship was clear of such before the Dockers came on board and sullied their reputation, I was a bit put out that she had escaped my good eyesight in those days. We sailed with one woman too many. Fortuanetly we were going to Liverpool in ballast and not straight out foreign. She was berthed in the Bridge pilot room for the short passage. The master at the time had a bad habit of bursting into the wheelhouse unexpectedly and asking how our passenger was faring to which my reply was , how should I know she is behind a closed door. She was handed over to the police for protection for her passage from Liverpool back to Glasgow. Another time sailing from Port Talbot to Narvik I was ashore and happened to bump in to a Port Talbot maiden which seemed strange to see in Norway. I didnt ask how she got there as didnt want to know, so suppose she must have come off one of the other ore carriers. As I was used to turfing her off the ship I was on first thing in the morning, as she had a soft spot for one of the ABs, didnt tell the AB in question in case he got upset and didnt trust her anymore. I have not mentioned other cases and especially New Zealand where the ships used to be nearly always manned by ladies who werent signed on. these are only a smattering of memories on this site labelled My Memories .. JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ladies on Ships, not New Zealand.

Beechwood(ex Bishopsgate) and the smaller Cherrywood (ex Silvercrag) great little ships of John I. Jacobs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Cherrywood was the Port Talbot runner as was smaller and built for the port at that time re the locks etc. Cheers JWS

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I sometimes used to think that without the help of the ladies some ships on the NZ coast wouldn't have sailed at all, in Auckland they were in a hurry to get to Wellington whereas in Wellington they were in a hurry to get to Auckland as there was always some sort of party to go to.
    Cheers Des

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apart from bloods the only ladies we ever saw were the wifes of officers travelling with them. Most were good but there were a couple who made life hell for the other officers and the stewards.
    Could well have done without them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi John.
    I sometimes used to think that without the help of the ladies some ships on the NZ coast wouldn't have sailed at all, in Auckland they were in a hurry to get to Wellington whereas in Wellington they were in a hurry to get to Auckland as there was always some sort of party to go to.
    Cheers Des
    ###any seaman who went to aukland in the 50s and 60s would nowhat a valhalla it was ...crumpet galore and could they go ...it was paradise .and i must say no presents that i knew aboard iether ....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always loved the Ladies! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###any seaman who went to aukland in the 50s and 60s would nowhat a valhalla it was ...crumpet galore and could they go ...it was paradise .and i must say no presents that i knew aboard iether ....cappy
    I knew a lovely Maori girl in Auckland cappy, her name was Josephine, she really was beautiful I dated her for a couple of
    trips and she gave me a present, but thankfully not the sort you're talking about, this one was a greenstone "Jade" Tiki which
    I still have today, there was one lad though a first tripper who did get a "Present" in Auckland and he duly received the
    "Umbrella treatment" he was a know all type of bloke but you had to feel sorry for him . cheers John F

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John F Collier View Post
    I knew a lovely Maori girl in Auckland cheers John F

On the whole John there were far less ladies there who gave 'presents' compared with some other ports of call.
    Down the East coast of Africa they were very generous with them.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th May 2017 at 07:05 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    On the whole John there were far less ladies there who gave 'presents' compared with some other ports of call.
    Down the East coast of Africa they were very generous with them.
    I was always very aware of that John and luckily the only presents I was given by girls was a silver St Christopher a Jade Tiki
    and a small leather encased travelling clock, and I've always kept them and the happy memories they came with. cheers John F

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast