Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: swimming with sharks pehaps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: swimming with sharks pehaps

Hi John.
    Now that is what I would call a smoked fish, {stuffed with tobacco}On the tankers we had loads of flying fish on the deck in the mornings, maybe someone collected them for the cook but for the life of me I can't remember eating one. Don't know if the people on the passenger boats ever see them but they would be so far from the water they would be like watching flies, whereas on a tanker we could practically touch them as the flew pass.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    i remember in the Pacific, lovely balmy weather, we used to hang a cluster light over the side to attract the flying fish, and in the morning picking them up and taking to the galley. Never ate one myself as i cannot stand fish in any form, kt
    ####anchored off kharg island while dropping one pipe of welsh steelpipes per day we fashioned a harpoon type spear with a flattened nail with barb on end ....untwined anold heaving line to make a hoding line and with lights over the r send at night spent many hours spearing fish of all kinds and colurs ...it was a great way of passing time as they could only take of one pipe about 30 or plus feet per day as the old boat they had at that stage was down to her marks plus ...so if any sea was running ...no pipe today ......it was a long time perhaps 25 or 30 days just ...sweating them off water rationed.....itwas august no air con .....but now kharg island is a massive construction......boring times for a young man ..but memories ...regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smoked fish, what a waste of good food. Just imagine if sharks ahd been in the canal along side the 'Vindi' no one would have starved. Or done life boat drill maybe!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember when on the hook, I think in the Medi.Used to catch Portuguese Man of War in a colander.
    No idea why!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Remember when on the hook, I think in the Medi.Used to catch Portuguese Man of War in a colander.
    No idea why!
    I'm the same Den, I do things and I've got no idea why, "I kid you not" . cheers John F

6. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy.
    Did many boring things while swinging on the hook, but as you say the memories now are far superior to then.
    I vaguely remember lowering then wiring off one of the anchors, then breaking the cable and sending it out to a buoy I can't remember where we did that, maybe the Hoogly or one of the rivers in West Africa, I get flash backs of these things but for the life of me can't remember where. Maybe some of the younger members can post a list of places where this happened.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Pruden View Post
    there was a shark net in curacao with a hole in it for years and a wooden raft type thing
    As a first trip deck apprentice on Shell Tankers Haminea I went swimming there after doing the 8-12 cargo watch on Christmas Day 1961.

We had part loaded in the Schotegat refinery the previous evening, for the first time I took the wheel in port and was on the helm going through the channel through Willemstat then round the coast to the tank farm in BullenBaai. I seem to recall there being some sort of club there but it's the swimming enclosure that I remember. We were warned about the hole in the barrier.

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the best fishing I ever had from the ship was at Cobh. Just could not fail reeling in the Herring. We had some great breakfasts.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4