Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1955, day before XMAS EVE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1955, day before XMAS EVE

61 years ago today, I had signed on the MEDIA, of Cunard and a voyage to New York, We were due to sail the following day Christmas Eve.
    I was spending the night in the old Sailors Home and had just ten shillings to my name. So I decided to have a couple of pints on Lime Street. The Pubs shut at 10 pm in those days, so had a pint in the `Big` House, and the Crown and then came out and had a coffee at the Punch and Judy outside Lime Street Station. A very attractive young lady got talking to me, then she said , "If you come home with me, and decorate my lounge for Christmas you can stay the night.
    Wow, hang a few balloons and streamers and I am in like Flynn, What young Sailor could turn down an offer like that.
    I got a taxi with my last five shillings and we went off to her flat in Aigburth, She was called Carol Murphy,
    We went into the Flat, and into the lounge, SHOCK, HORROR,
    There was a ladder, a can of white distemper, several rolls of wall paper and a paste table. What`s all this.???
    She say, "Don't make too much noise, I will be asleep in bed and when you finish you can come in with me and I will make it worth while"
    She went and I stood there stunned.
    I had a ciggy and looked things over. Then I got stuck in. I had a two inch brush to paint the Big ceiling with, that took a couple of hours, and then the wall papering. It was a big room. I was getting frantic, then I realised it was 7.30 am. the night had gone and I hadn't finished. I nearly wept.
    I had to get to the ship miles away, we were working at 8 am. I woke her up, and said "Can you lend me a shilling to get to the ship, " she says have you finished the decorating?" I said `No`, she gets out of bed, looks in the lounge and there is still a couple of rolls of wallpaper to do.
    and wails ,"What am I going to do now, not finished for Christmas" I said "Get another sucker to finish it off tonight I have to go,"
    She gave me a Shilling, tanner for the bus to the Pier Head and a tanner for the Overhead Railway, to the dock.
    I just made it for 8am, and then we let go and sailed. I was completely knackered, no sleep and had to work all day.
    If you read this Carol, you owe me one.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1955, day before XMAS EVE

Don`t worry about not finishing the wall papering Brian I got it finished for Carol....gotta say she was very grateful so I gave her sixpence and left after you showed me how much she appreciated the job I had done ! Merry Christmas. Regards Brian W.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another story about strange women we have met.

I was having a wild fling with the wife of a salvation army captain . She liked to keep time by tapping me on my back with a tambourine .
    The affair came to an end when I refused to put on the top half of her husbands uniform and sing Onward Christian Soldiers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post

I was having a wild fling with the wife of a salvation army captain . She liked to keep time by tapping me on my back with a tambourine .
    The affair came to an end when I refused to put on the top half of her husbands uniform and sing Onward Christian Soldiers.
    Just count your blessings she didn't play the cymbals

gray_marian Guest

#3, You must have been music to her ears Louis

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Louis I suppose you can say you were only following the Salvation Army motto.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

th0DPK2R1K.jpg
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in the Salvation Army when I was a young lad.
    I was a `Sunbeam`, that is what they called children, had to go with grandma knocking on doors selling the papers, War Cry and The Young Soldier.
    If I had stayed long time I might have got a Tambourine of my own. All the family were in it, Mother, all her four sisters and Grandma.
    Cheers
    Brian the Sunbeam

gray_marian Guest

"Tambourine of my own" Ah Brian thwarted again

9. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post

I popped into the local salvation army today, apparently they save fallen women, booked a blonde for Christmas.

11. Likes N/A, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7... Can just imagine you in the Rex Brian shaking your tambourine among other things, and singing Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam. Cheers JS

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast