Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mersey memories.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mersey memories.

John just heard that a TRAM ? in South London has overturned with some fatality's......Trams in London ??
    Recall trams when I was a small child in the Bermonsey area. Regards Brian W.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Charles Williams View Post
    John just heard that a TRAM ? in South London has overturned with some fatality's......Trams in London ??
    Recall trams when I was a small child in the Bermonsey area. Regards Brian W.
    That's right Brian, Croydon South London, seven people dead I believe and the tram driver is under arrest, I can remember going on a tram about 1948 at the Blackwall tunnel when my dad took me to see Captain Scott's ship Discovery moored on
    the Embankment, todays trams are more like railway carriages, cheers. JC
    Last edited by John F Collier; 10th November 2016 at 12:12 AM.

4. Likes Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blackpool and Fleetwood have all New Trams, each one costs £2,000,000 each from Germany, we once built trams for the world, now we have to go to Germany, how sick is that.?
    Manchester and Greater Manchester has all new Trams.
    so has London.
    Brian

6. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Louis the Amigo thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13, that's a lot off export money for Herman to lose, but Merkel is still trying to scare us into staying, "she just doesn't get it"
    does she?. It would be great to see the work go to Bombardier in the UK that's the sort of thing that would make Britain great again, we've made a start with the new Frigates to be built in the Glasgow yards, lets hope we can build on that. cheers JC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I grew up in Bootle, a stones throw from the dock, that was our playground to me the ships were magical , and if I played truant, which I did once or, er, twice, that was where I was to be found , standing at the top of the steps of the old overhead railway, on tip toes looking over the barrier at all the ships.
    We were rarely away from the docks, and our pockets were always full of peanuts and brown sugar, can hear mam now , " have you been eating this ?, you will get worms", LOL
    would lay in bed listening to the sounds of the docks , the shouted commands as in the Beatles yellow submarine , the rattle of an anchor chain and subsequent splash, the toot of tugs , oh and the whistle blown ,and my late brother four years older than me with Blue Funnel, all these things set my path firmly on a course for the sea .
    I think sometimes I must sound like [ uncle Albert ] " When I was at sea " think of it every day, and its knowing there are plenty more like me stops it seeming stale ,JOE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15, It will never be stale Joe, when you live near the docks as you did, it's a way of life born in you, the kids of today have so much more than we had and we probably had more than our parents did when they were kids, but in a way I think we were better off with our street games and little gangs of mates than they are with their ipads, I can remember being warned about worms, I love letting my mind wander back to my child hood I'm a bit worried that one day it won't come back to the present
    I joined my first ship at the Gladstone dock it seems like yesterday, the tide was out and the ships rail was about 4ft higher than the ground level so I just dropped my case over and climbed over as well, they had just opened the hatches and that smell has stayed in my mind all these years, I loved the atmosphere of the docks. I worked on BT and I often had to work in the Tilbury docks repairing telephone lines by now it was a container dock and the atmosphere has gone, I'm so glad I saw these thing when the ships were as we knew them before they all disappeared, cheers. JC
    Last edited by John F Collier; 10th November 2016 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnf Collier View Post
    That's right Brian, Croydon South London, seven people dead I believe and the tram driver is under arrest, I can remember going on a tram about 1948 at the Blackwall tunnel when my dad took me to see Captain Scott's ship Discovery moored on
    the Embankment, todays trams are more like railway carriages, cheers. JC
    I thought all the trams had long gone, saw the last go in about 1952 or there abouts.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I`m guessing they are more `light rail` not trams as we knew them. Our trams here were purchased from Spain ! Brian W.

13. Likes Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined my first ship in Tilbury so have a soft spot for that dock, a lot different now of course.

JC, I think this sums up a lot of our thought and feeling about the sea & ships.

``Wasn`t that the best time, that time when we were young at sea; young and had nothing,

on the sea that gives nothing,except hard knocks and sometimes a chance to feel your strength.``

Joseph Conrad`s ..............Regards Brian W.

15. Likes Louis the Amigo, joseph connor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I`v stated we here in Adelaide bought our trams from Spain but had to spend quite a lot on them when it found their air
    conditioning was inadequate for our climate ! They had a coach/train building factory here that the government had shut down!
    Regards Brian W.

17. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the Amigo liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast