Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Bay of Biscay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bay of Biscay

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Charles Williams View Post
    .Now for the `silly bit`......... was as sick as a dog entering Durban with the slightest of swells !!
    Never sea sick myself, but when I was on Deep Water trawlers we'd get some pretty horrendous weather around Bear Island and North Coast of Iceland and the lads were never sick, even from the smell of the boiling cod liver boiler house (a yuk smell) but on getting back into the Humber into smooth waters some would be making for the bulwarks, but god help you if you made a comment or grinned.

Trawler mens' cure for seasickness (worked for me) get the young lad stupid enough (me) to say he feels sick then you are immediately whipped up to the foc'le head, tied to the rails facing for'd so that you can see the waves rolling towards you, believe me as a young teenager (13) you are too scared ever to even think about being sick, they leave you there for two plus hours, release you, wrap you in a blanket, sit in the galley for 30 minutes or so to thaw out and then you're back to work, seemed cruel at the time but there are no passengers on a deep water trawler, my first trip MN at aged 16 we experienced a hurricane, my previous experience stood me well.....................happy days!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow......I could hardly climb into my bunk & stay there never mind `climb the rigging !` Brian W

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates,the Irish sea? a bit ruff in winter, on a small ship 500 tons tanker, no work on the deck No over time? damm. flying bridge not good? some safety lines are in order to get some paint from forecastle head paint locker. I need my over time.takes me back a few years? I paint the bulk heads bosun?

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too was lucky regarding the weather in the Bay, although some passeners got a bit excited. I have experienced other bad weather areas but the worst was strangely in the Mediterrranean. My father was always asking me if I had had rough weather in the Med and I always metioned mill ponds. Then one evening we sailed out of Genoa and the sea was like a mirror. Awoken about 1.00 am by the radiator coming off the bulkhead in the POs mess, missing lifeboat, stores scattered and the crew didn't bother to come up for breakfast. It was a night to remember and at last I knew why my father kept asking about storms in the Meddy. Terry Sullivan R340406

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    The Doldrums are an area in equatorial latitudes of light variable winds. It was an area where the old sailing ship masters were quite happy to be clear of, and are records of them towing their ships with the ships boats in an endeavour to clear the area. Anyone for overtime ?? Cheers JWS
    You could always try and whistle up a wind John. As for the Bay o Biscay, small Everade boat 1975 going up the Medi, Not only a Force 12 to contend with...……………… A skipper reciting prayers to all 9 crew members on the bridge dressed in overboard gear and pitch black...…………...
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 3rd April 2019 at 11:06 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dad saw me off on my first trip (1956) with a caution at West Hartlepool station, he warned me of the Bay of Biscay and recalled his own sea voyage to Salonika on a troopship (1917). The horses vomited through the Biscay crossing and he had to clean up the mess. He urged me: 'Never be a volunteer; never play cards on railway trains, there might be cardsharps aboard; never go with women who want your money.' (Since then I've never played cards on railway trains, but I have volunteered now and again)
    Harry Nicholson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in 2015 we took a cruise from Southampton to the Medi.

The chanell was a bit rough but not enough to notice, but then we hit the bay.
    I at on my balcony soaking it all up, waves of about three meters or so, nothing to write home about.
    Brought back some wonderful memories of times long past.
    But apparently the sick bay was full of passengers with severe sea sickness.

Some I was told even had to have injections to help them with it.
    But of course as we know medical practitioners at sea charge like wounded bulls so some would have had a bit of a shock when they got their account.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th February 2021 at 07:30 PM.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mid Atlantic in a flat bottomed twin turbine Banana boat, you knew it was rough by the sound of the turbines screaming (each at different times) as the screws came completely out of the water.

13. Thanks Chris Gundry, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all what was it they used to say about the bay of Biscay In like a lamb and out like a lion.
    I remember on my last ship the Lagos Palm coming north through the bay we were called out in the middle of the night our deck cargo of logs ( large trees realy) had broken loose and we spent hours trying to save then but the wires just broke and we lost most overboard ,also the rails went with them.
    The bay can be a very calm place but also very rough. Some years later my wife and I sailed our 32ft yacht south through the Bay to Partugal and a Japenese Tanker spotted us and altered course ,all the crew and officers lined the rails and gave us a wave,Boy did the ship look huge from the deck of a small yacht,But it was reassuring to know that we could be seen by ships as all we had was a radar reflecer on the wooden mast.We eventually crossed the Atlantic and spent a number of years in the Carribean working on charter yahchts,that seems like another life now when I look back on it.Well good luck to all and keep safe.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast