Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bay of Biscay

Gulliver Guest

Default Re: Bay of Biscay

I only recall being seasick once in twenty years,and strangely enough that was in Biscay bound from Le Havre to Cape Town on my very first trip. Since then,despite sometimes being in some rough weather and sailing on some ships with not very comfortable seaway characteristics nothing.
    I think that although it can certainly be to do with your sense of motion and balance,in many cases it is psychological.
    That first time,for me,it was a building feeling of expectation of traversing Biscay in deteriorating weather.I don't think it was particularly bad,perhaps a westerly Force 6 or 7 and a moderate swell,but it was my first trip to sea,and in wide-eyed wonderment you automatically can't take your eyes off the sea ("don't look at it ! "you're told,but you can't really not do it can you,it's bloody everywhere,the ship ploughing into the rollers and chucking up spray as high as the mast,while learning to keep your balance by anticipating each roll ,in a Bollocky Bill the Sailor fashion...

So psychological then I feel regarding Biscay. It's no worse than the sea and weather in many locations.

Once I was trying to impress a new girlfriend with my Bollocky Bill escapades.I only had to mention the dreaded word 'Biscay' once ,whilst building myself up to a monumental tale of 100 foot waves,the ship rolling over twice,the cook going overboard then being flung back onto deck 20 minutes later,etc.etc.- .As I say she only had to hear the word Biscay before she suddenly turned green and made a dash for the Ladies.
    Mind you that might have been the chicken biriyani we'd scoffed earlier and the half dozen vodka and cokes she'd since tipped down her throstle...
    I wasn't lucky that night,and I heard a few years later she'd gone on to marry a chartered accountant.
    Now, I wonder what exciting tales he told her.....
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Vernon I have seen thta as well on the run to Cape Town. But one guy get it very wrong stuffed like an oversized pig he rushed up on deck in the bay to bring up the days takings. Obviously not aware of wind conditions and did not go to leeward. Up it came and all back in his face.

But yes those Cape rollers were very odd, never looked that big but they did move the ship about.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Oh! I must have read it incorrectly Ivan
    Thanks however that Ship is small to go through any real tough weather!
    Cheers
    Was on one smaller (Dominence) in a force 9/10, surprising what punishment they can take, but nerve wracking all the same, one trip was enough with a lunatic skipper

john sutton Guest

during 7 years at sea I must havecrossed the bay at least a dozen times.Cant say that I experienced particularly bad weather probably beacause aaaaaaai was seasick every outbound trip at the slightest rough weather.
    However some years ago I crewed for my pal on his 42ft sailing boat down to spain.We had on board a pro delivery skipper who set a course way out from the bay and the only rough weather was send us atlantic rollers nt the broken seas normally associated with the bay.
    Couple of years later I took my 35ft trawler yatch to spain and followed his previous advice with very little weather problems.
    I suppose if your a commercial skipper you need to take the shortest course to save time and fuel but if one is playing these things are not important

Gulliver Guest

Talking Re: Bay of Biscay

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Was on one smaller (Dominence) in a force 9/10, surprising what punishment they can take, but nerve wracking all the same, one trip was enough with a lunatic skipper
    Only been on one rock-dodger,Ivan,the 1961 built Cornishbrook (1,599 grt), but not in any bad weather.
    However,as we all do,I used to see many coasters ,especially in the well-used shipping routes like through Biscay and the South China Sea. I say 'see' because in rough weather quite often you couldn't! You would usually see them on radar and of course manually plot them on your screen-how quaint and old-fashioned that sounds in today's high-tech ECDIS world. Then you (and your lookout if you had one) would spend ages straining your eyes through binocs trying to sight her. Then later you'd probably see what looked like a huge spume of foam passing down your side and the little coaster steadily pounding into the seas,up in the air one minute,then lost to view as she slid down into a trough,looking for all the world like a submarine.
    I admire those guys for choosing to put up with being flung about for days on end,being constantly damp and not getting enough sleep,hoping that should the unthinkable happen that only a tiny inflatable liferaft is your only salvation- and probably not being paid as much as we deepsea guys!
    Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do,or perhaps it's horses for courses !

Now your mention of lunatic skippers is another story!

PS Cornishbrook was sold two years later,in 76 after my trip on her and renamed BESSY G.(Cyprus).She was wrecked 37.20N/9.40E 12.7.78 & burnt out 19.7.78 [Antwerp-Tripoli, Lebanon, sugar]

Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 10th June 2016 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a couple of years on the coast, probably more if I tot it up, it was a different way of life and you took some punishment personally in rough weather and it is surprising what punishment those little ships could take, a great learning curve for navigation and ship handling. Did you know that the 'Cornishbrook' went across North Atlantic to Canada on a couple of occasions. When were you on her

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Sure she would have JAE not a very large one was she!
    Cheers
    PENTLAND FIRTH - IMO 5274278 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker
    Not That Pentland Firth Vernon
    This Pentland Firth.pf.jpgpf1.jpgpf2.jpg

John.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Gulliver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Had a couple of years on the coast, probably more if I tot it up, it was a different way of life and you took some punishment personally in rough weather and it is surprising what punishment those little ships could take, a great learning curve for navigation and ship handling. Did you know that the 'Cornishbrook' went across North Atlantic to Canada on a couple of occasions. When were you on her
    Yes I remember she did cross the Atlantic. I was on her 74 waiting to go up for 2nd mates FG . Joined Belfast,then Newlyn,Deptford Creek,Tilbury,Leith,Rotterdam,Birkenhead,paid off.Only remember the name of the Master,Bill Crisp from Hull,nice old man,ex N.Sea Ferries.

11. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Albert Evans View Post
    Not That Pentland Firth Vernon
    This Pentland Firth.pf.jpgpf1.jpgpf2.jpg

John.
    Those are the passages I remember John, don't recall ever having a smooth one, that's the weather RN ships expected slow, heavily laden MN vessels to keep station in during convoys in WWII

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16: Christmas 1975 had been sent by Turriff Taylor where I was working as a payroll clerk on the Flotta / Grangemouth Pipeline build office at Coupar Angus to help pay off the Flotta terminal crew for the holidays. I had to get back to Kinclaven, Perthshire for Christmas or face matrimonial hell.

All flights to Aberdeen were full so luckily got the vessel Ragnald, I think it was, from Kirkwall and the sea was like a millpond with a bright moon shining and I sat on deck with a Mckewans (or two) much of the way to Aberdeen.
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast