Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Memory

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A Memory

Not Mn related but to all Geordies and Tynesiders,My mother was from Gateshead and one of my childhood memories was going, to me at the time, a huge fair out on the moors. In my naivete I always thought this was the new Blaydon Races. Do any of you old timers still remember this and is it still going. Added note NO!! the lady with a Wooden Leg from South Shields is no relation. Michael Taylor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Memory

Most of my family were from that area and I holidayed there as a young lad. My great aunt used to take me to a similar event but cannot for the life of me recall exactly where. Do remember a place by the name of Jesmond Dene I think that is what it was called.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, cappy, Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th August 2015 at 05:12 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks N/A, moktay thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, moktay, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last time I was at the Town Moor fair was 1957. Was there with 2 others waiting for the pubs to open. It went on for quite a few years after this, was I believe the largest fair in the UK at one time. Cheers JS

7. Thanks moktay, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Most of my family were from that area and I holidayed there as a young lad. My great aunt used to take me to a similar event but cannot for the life of me recall exactly where. Do remember a place by the name of Jesmond Dene I think that is what it was called.
    John in OZ
    Jesmond Dene is a rather up market area of Newcastle where some houses go for a million plus pounds. The original bridge built and designed by Armstrong is situated there and is said to be the design that the Sydney Harbour and Tyne Bridge are based upon.
    Couple of excellent restaurants are situated there as is a city farm.
    Newcastle Hoppings are still held annually on the Town Moor though last year they had to be cancelled due to the terrible wet weather turning the site into a mud bath. When our children were younger we always took them for a day out at the Hoppings but it latterly did get a bit of a bad name due to drunken louts causing trouble but that has been cleared up recently.
    rgds
    JA

9. Thanks moktay, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1... Michael what part of Gateshead anywhere near Saltwell park. My wife from that area, I quite often tell her I took her away from all the bad things in life, only joking of course. Just told her as is 76 today that I deserve someone younger guess what her reply was. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th August 2015 at 08:19 AM.

11. Likes N/A, judith george, moktay, Doc Vernon, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My grandmother's house was 24 Rodsley Ave very close to Saltwell Park also the end of the line for one of the tram routes. More than once I've fallen into the lake fishing for minnows. My Aunt lived in the Low Fell area, yes she married well. My Uncle lived in Newcastle, that is why I'm a big Magpies fan, howay the lads, no relatives left sadly in the area still in contact with my cousins.
    Someone mentioned about the Hoppings being rained out that was one of the other things in my memory banks it always poured with rain when we went.

- - - Updated - - -

John Arton I don't know if you're a Southern Boy, did you find out you could walk on water the first time you went swimming at Tynemouth or South Shields.
    THe North Sea is COLD
    Last edited by moktay; 15th August 2015 at 05:25 PM.

13. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, cappy, Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing as cold as the Rock Pool in Cullercoats, used to fill and empty with the tide. The wife used to live in Rawlings Road not too far from Saltwell Park. Know a bloke from the same area as well a Charlie Crow has lived in Canada, London near Toronto for the past 50 years. That's why Cappy emigrated to Yorkshire, Shields was too cold for him, not as some say things were getting too hot for him. Just asked the wife and she says Rodsley avenue was close by, you didn't go to Kelvin Grove School did you. Cheers John S.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th August 2015 at 12:24 AM.

15. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John S. No I grew up in Slough, just a wimpy Southern Boy So I was told by the boys I played with up there every other Xmas and sometimes for the summer holidays when my parents wanted to get a rid of us kids. Unfortunately my mother died when I was 14 that was the last time I was up there till about 8 years ago then it was driving through to visit my cousin in Berwick.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Nothing as cold as the Rock Pool in Cullercoats, used to fill and empty with the tide. The wife used to live in Rawlings Road not too far from Saltwell Park. Know a bloke from the same area as well a Charlie Crow has lived in Canada, London near Toronto for the past 50 years. That's why Cappy emigrated to Yorkshire, Shields was too cold for him, not as some say things were getting too hot for him. Just asked the wife and she says Rodsley avenue was close by, you didn't go to Kelvin Grove School did you. Cheers John S.
    #####used to play rugby against kelvin grove school won some lost some but it was a treat to go over to the north side ....like a holiday in them days ......cappy not happy today .....charlie got beat playing against southafrica in capetown 23 to 16.....got a picture of him not in a good mood methinks.....well such is life cant win them all 2 out of3 not bad cappy

19. Likes Jim Brady, j.sabourn, N/A, moktay, Evan Lewis liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast