Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Channel night

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Channel night

Does anyone remember "channel" night on the cargo ships, and the change of mood that seemed to affect the crew the
    night before the ship was due to arrive back in the UK?. Even the "Bay" seemed more tolerable on the homeward trip
    and bad jokes seemed funnier, cause everyone had the "channels".
    John B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Channel night

The Channels used to change suddenly when orders were changed to proceed to some European port outside of Home Trade limits. Many along seeing the Ch. Stwd wanting to see a Doctor on arrival. Everyone starting to limp or complaining of bad guts or something. Even saw one bloke deliberately smash his own foot with a 28 lb. maul. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th March 2015 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me not the Cargo Ships but the old UCL Liners yes indeed!

As I recall all of us always looked forward to the Channel Night,more so on the Intermediate Ships on the way back to KG5 ,the atmosphere was just sort of Electric,with us getting our stuff ready for going ashore ,some just to get to their Homes again for the three Weeks leave (and on full pay) what a life!
    For many others it was to one of the old Seamans Missions but even that was a joy! Others (Like myself also worked by for the extra cash but not all the time)
    Yes the Moods were jolly,with many tales of what we were going to do ashore,seemed that on those Nights we even let out our darkest secrets about out Girls LOL!
    I especially recall my first Channel night,and the stories I was told of the Beauty of the White Cliffs of Dover and many other things about KG5 and London itself! Gosh I was so excited I could not sleep that night!
    Yes they were I suppose one of the best Nights one could get,not that you never wanted to go back,but just the thought of all the fun ahead for the three Weeks!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes on UCL it was all go on Channel night for catering crew. All aspects of the dinning saloon, galley and accommodation had to be spotless, or so we were told. If you were coming back next voyage you had to do a it, if you were not ten you went on the p15s big time
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On cargo boats/tankers after we had packed our cases we used to have a "dummy run" down the alleyway.A couple of ships I was on all we would be wearing were shoe's and socks and a tie,all in line (no John in oz no daisy chain) and have a walk around the alleyways carrying our cases.The things you do when your excited,excited about going home,excited about your pay off and possibly excited about getting away from some B/std of a chief steward or a head of what dept you were in.Once the money ran out you were glad to get back and do it all over again.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i can remember thinking that the 2nd thing i was going to do after arrival home was put my kitbag down !!!!! KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah, the Channels! That wad of big white five pound notes to be stuffed into the hip pocket.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its impossible to explain the channels to anyone that hasn't been away to sea, You have to live them. The only time I ever got on a downer was when I was on the 12x4 watch and you had to do the lookout on the wing of the bridge if entering the English Chanel I remember the 2nd mate coming out the wheelhouse once I must have fell asleep on my feet pissed, He shouted down my listener {RED LIGHT 3 OFF THE STARBORD BOW SEC }
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Channel night on the passenger ships was far different than cargo boats,usually on an R/A so you would be getting a sub in Liverpool as not paying off,well even if it was a pay off trip subs were still paid on docking day eve.So all hands had money from a sub and their tips from the passengers consequently lots of gambling taking place in the pig.The table tennis table double up as the craps pitch.with Cock & Hen and Crown & Anchor and poker schools going on.I remember when I was on the Britain I had a new suit to pick up from Burtons when we got home,i played crap threw a few passes once I was upto £14.00 in front I packed in that was the balance of my suit taken care of.
    Regards.
    jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Channel night was great on a tanker.
    all the way from the Gulf around the Cape, bound for LEFO, just get into the Channel , hard a starboard, set a course for The Mississipi and back to the Gulf round the Cape again. maybe try again in two and a half months.
    Brian.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast