Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Channel night

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Channel night

Hi Terry,
    I know what you mean about sticking out ashore at home, I paid off in a fancy green short sleeved shirt and cream trousers
    when the weather in Tilbury was tearing down rain, but as you know we stuck out anyway with our "bronzie" tans,
    I always felt like Jack the Lad when I got back and having a few bob in the back pocket didn't hurt either eh?.
    a bit dodgy in the pub though.
    cheers Terry, John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was often told when I was home on leave.
    I stuck out like a karzi in the desert with my bronzy.
    Guess we wouldn't these days!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got malaria in PNG in 1948 and the medication then was quinine and atabrine. Atabrine had a sort of jaundice effect on your skin and went well combined with a sun tan.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David Dane ex UCL emigrated to Oz in late 60's. Left UK in mid winter wearing a fur coat, said he felt a right plonker walking down the gangway in Pert with the temp in mid 30's.I
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John, there was many an ex ucl crew member who felt '' a right plonker'' and reflects why your tailor asks which side feels comfortable, and the sight of someone descending the gangway in WA dripping in mink doesn't bear thinking about. Gilly.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you think about it UCL has a lot to answer for, they have given the 'gay' brigade a really hard time and some times a bad name.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes John Gill, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

talking about fancy gear, I gave my girlfriend one of those cheap kimono sets from Japan, I asked her after we were
    married where it was, she said she gave it away, but those "beatle" watches we picked up in Aden were popular, they
    looked good and worked for a while, my old man always asked me to bring back a couple, he flogged them to his
    cronies in the pub.
    John B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: Channel night

The Channels

Remember it very well! I was a Winger in the 80's onboard a couple of the P&O Liners/Cruise Ships.

It was important to me for one thing, Dropsies! (Tips) At last I could at last pay my bills.

I suppose it was important for my Cabin steward, The Egg and Bacon Banjo Man down in the Galley, Importantly the Bar Manager, Laundry, (Dobie) etc

The only thing it was sad for, was the last night spent with some great passengers I used to look after. I always remember the stories the 2nd WW Ex RAF Guys used to tell after a few Drinks, which I found fascinating.

Happy Days. I didn't appreciate it at the time.

In Port Southampton was spent loading lots of 10p's into BT Payphones ringing family and friends back home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In mid 70s I had three weeks in drydock in Singapore. I bought a very nice tailor made light weight safari suit in cool blue with short sleeves.
    When I got home it was an unusually hot summer. Went down the pub one day and was subjected to some loud whispering from a guy about fiftyish and his mother, he dressed in heavy tweed jacket and twill pants she was wearing mall fur thing round her shoulders, he was sweating cobs and I felt very comfortable. Eventually, after putting up with the sniggering and sarcy comments, I asked why he was sweating so much, was it because of the heat or the possibility because he was worried I might just stick one on him. They left without finishing their drinks so never got an answer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember those suits Tony. Had a friend out here from the UK a couple of years ago, he was a ships engineer. He too broke out his safari suit for coming to what he thought would be appropriate for the area. He got no snarky comments as in Oz as long as the appropriate parts are covered no one could care less. Took me sometime before I got adjusted to seeing housewives in their dressing gowns shopping in the early morning. However the safari suits always reminded me of the Jungle Jim era of Hollywood the follow up to Tarzan. My friends suit was also pale blue, never heard anyone call him bluey. Cheers JS

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast