Thread: Where were you ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Where were you ?

Great acchievement JAE
    Amazing when you think back isn't it!
    It was 1967 when I met Irene at a Party in Durban,while on leave from the Gold Mines, in the OFS, and that was to be the end of my Gold Digging Career! LOL!
    never went back ! Will be on our 47th Year come December!
    Now that was the third time around! Oh my Gawd! haha!

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Likes N/A, Lou Barron, John Albert Evans liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we take our wives for granted sometimes me i'm an old romantic I still get Barbara flowers{when they are in bloom in the park} she still runs my bath 68deg lays my clothes out every morning one of the best cooks you could ever meet yes she is a lucky girl to have me?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was New Years eve and I had just brought my girlfriends mother back from the shops where she had been buying booze for the New Years eve party. Got back to the house around 1800 and immediately the girlfriends mother started on the booze with next door neighbours popping in. Around 2000 girlfriends mother said that all her relations in Edinburgh would be well into New Years celebrations by this time. I foolishly? said would you like to celebrate New Year in Edinburgh and within minutes we were on the road to Edinburgh but had to return after 5 miles as the girlfriends mother had forgotten to put her shoes on. Made Edinburgh by about 2130 and really started on the booze. At midnight we were all in a flat on the Royal Mile when the piper came in to pipe in the New Year. One of the girlfriends Scottish relations asked me if I was serious about the girlfriend and I said that I was going to ask her to marry me when we got home. That was then the Scottish clans ganged up on the English and I was told to do the honourable thing so around 0100 I asked the girlfriends father if he would allow me to marry his daughter and strangely enough he said I could and so in front of a room full of Scots I got down on one knee and asked the girlfriend if she would marry me and she agreed. As I had no ring ready the engagement ring was a ring pull from a beer can. After being piped round the block of flats we were in announcing the engagement on every floor, there followed three days of non stop drinking and it was Jan 5th before we sobered up enough for me to get to the jewellers to buy a proper engagement ring. That was New Years 77 and we got married on April 1st 78. Was I an April fool?, no way. Still together, still have our tiffs but still make up in the best way and two great kids.
    Do I resent the Scots for ending my carefree bachelor days, NO WAY, do I support Scots Independence, NO WAY as that would mean having to show passports every time we go back to Edinburgh which is one of the finest cities to visit for a break, even if you do not have loads of relatives who insist on pouring alcohol down your throat 24 hrs a day when you visit them.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wife No. 6 was very expensive, cost me a water buffalo and two goats.
    She is very good around the house, at the moment she is cutting & pasting in the living room. It is looking really nice.

6. Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Proposed to my then girlfriend in Guildford high st while on leave after a 10month trip, went back to sea one more time, then swallowed the anchor, 49 years this year, hoping i can make the big 50, just to prove i have stamina and patience!!, just joking, would not be without her, where else would i get a financial adviser ? , and she`s been incredible value, theres nearly twice of her now!!! KT

8. Likes N/A, John Albert Evans liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do not worry John I take all in good fun I like to think that there is good in all people

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Great acchievement JAE
    Amazing when you think back isn't it!
    It was 1967 when I met Irene at a Party in Durban,while on leave from the Gold Mines, in the OFS, and that was to be the end of my Gold Digging Career! LOL!
    never went back ! Will be on our 47th Year come December!
    Now that was the third time around! Oh my Gawd! haha!

Cheers
    And what happened to the other two may we ask? I know the first one died from eating poisoned mushrooms and the second from a broken neck, she refused to eat the mushrooms. LOL only joking Vernon.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN PRUDEN View Post
    we take our wives for granted sometimes me i'm an old romantic I still get Barbara flowers{when they are in bloom in the park} she still runs my bath 68deg lays my clothes out every morning one of the best cooks you could ever meet yes she is a lucky girl to have me?jp
    You have given me a gteat idea John, currently i go to the flower shop each week, now for the park!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes N/A, John Albert Evans liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you nick them from the cemetery MAKE SURE you take the labels off
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Met my late wife at a dance on a Friday night in Bristol, met her again on the Sunday, sailed away for 22 months, never spoke to each other again for 22 months because the facilities were not available in those days, but we kept the postman busy, came home, proposed, was accepted, we had 28 years of honeymoon together before cancer took her at the age of 50. I knew I was going to marry that girl even before I had spoken to her, there was just something about her that made me realise that she was the one for me. Unfortunately cancer in both lungs and the liver took her, she didn't smoke or drink and from diagnosis to departure was less than four months, a great blow as she was a lovely, healthy helpful person. I owed/owe an incredible debt to both Capt Churchhill and Joe Meakin the mate, and Joe and I are still in touch, although we had never met for 44 years until recently, she touched my life and the lives of many others with her kindness and consideration.

Friday night was supposed to have been my 'Night aboard' in Avonmouth, but Joe wanted company and the Capt Churchill said he would do it for me, I was a lowly third mate, they changed my life for the better for which I remain eternally grateful.

I met my current wife (Wendy) at a dance after nine years of widowhood and we often drive to Betty's grave together 250 miles away, so guess I have been a lucky man in having two thoughtful beautiful women as partners through joy and adversity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast