Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting the Deck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Painting the Deck

This is actually an excerpt from my book "Running For Home":

We all fell into the usual pattern of watch keeping, constant maintenance and gallons of paint. During one of these painting marathons, an incident occurred that I will never forget. There were two of us painting the deck on the port side of the ship. It was gloss black. We both had rollers on broom sticks and a cut down 50 gallon drum with the paint in. We were making good progress but it was windy on deck and sometimes a little paint would get blown onto our overalls. Every so often we would push the drum of paint along with the roller on the broomstick. This was the best and most convenient way of moving it. I was careful in doing this as I didn’t want to spill any. My mate regarded this as too cautious and was exasperated with me. He said “Just shove it like this”. Unfortunately, as he did so, the drum came up abruptly against a weld in the deck. The paint leapt out of the drum, the wind caught it, the paint exploded into a cloud of black spray. He was covered comprehensively from head to toe in black paint. Laugh? I nearly had kittens. He looked like something out of the Black and White Minstrel Show.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have painted many a deck BUT the worst one was on a Shell T2 Tanker, the Tectus. 1954.
    We didnt use black paint it was a substance called PF4, I think it was a residue of Crude Oil.
    We also painted over the wall with it. The fumes off it burned all our eyes, everyone of the deck crowd got conjunctivitus, Our eyes were swollen and none of us could see properly, , very painful, we didnt do any look outs, or any work for quite a while.
    Did anyone else ever come across PF4 .??
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i liked the job of barbarising and linseed oiling the smell? then of course the lower decks paint paint and more paint!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first trip to sea the bosun told me to oil and then boot-top the crew messes, pantry, and alleyway after dinner. I got an early turn to the next morning and was presented with a bucket of white spirit and a rather harsh lecture on the difference between boiled and fish oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OH that brings back memories, Boiled Oil, Fish Oil, Linseed Oil, Red Lead, Turks Heads, Dogs Legs, Man Helpers, Deck Scrubbers , Boot Topping, Topside White, Flat White, Oh and I nearly forgot, Varnish.

Must have missed a lot more
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what does it mean to boot top the messes and alleyways, ?
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Arakaka,we were taking,animals back to the Uk for a well known TV personality.Job for the day painting the deck,a little wild pig escaped its cage jumped up on no1 hatch raced across to the port side were we were painting slipped on the coaming and slid along the deck finished with a red backside,the well known personality wanted to sue the deck crowd.He had no sense of humour at all.We had a real laugh trying to catch the little blighter to clean him up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    OH that brings back memories, Boiled Oil, Fish Oil, Linseed Oil, Red Lead, Turks Heads, Dogs Legs, Man Helpers, Deck Scrubbers , Boot Topping, Topside White, Flat White, Oh and I nearly forgot, Varnish.

Must have missed a lot more
    I think most of us would be quite happy with a beer or a Scotch, som eof that sounds it bit extreme, but what ever turns you on mate.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default PF4

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Did anyone else ever come across PF4 .??
    I can remember painting the tank decks with PF4 while on the Theliconus in 1951,I think I can remember being
    told that PF4 was anti spark?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re PF4

I also was on t2 shell tanker 1950 ,and remember using that P F 4 and the fumes. Talking of fumes ,we went down the tanks,to clean up the sludge after a cargo of crude ,evry now and were given a tot of rum to compansate. Didnt they use a gadget called the Butterworth ,spun by water pressure before starting? The Neocardia, was my first and last tanker. I stuck with cargo after that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast