Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ps What's a control room?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fleming Gear.

Tony we use to call this type Barmaids Gear,because of the action needed (Like pulling a pint) It was mostly on Liners were the manning of the many L/Boats didn't require much small boat handling skills. CPR. in Montreal would have Boat-Drill and send away a few L/Boats (with a mixed and motley crew) It was great fun,racing around the Harbour.
    I was painting Ships decks up untill I retired,and we used the modern anti-slip/skid paint but for well used areas of the deck we added fine sand as a back up.
    A Nation of Sheep will Beget A Government of Wolves. ( R625016 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Calvin,
    A Cargo Control Room is where the Officer of the Watch starts and controls the cargo pumps and stripping pumps etc, On a VLCC, Very Large Crude Carrier, it is usuall on the deck on the fore part above the main deck so it can be observed visually. also above the Pump Room which is down below.
    It contains the Pump Controls , usually four cargo pumps, and also ballast pumps. and eductors.
    It has mercury indicators that shows the ullage or depth of oil in each tank.
    No ullages are taken visually as the tanks are pressurised with the Inert Gas System that keeps oxygen out of the tanks therefore eliminating the risk of explosion. PV Valves open up and blast the gasses high into the air at a certain pressure then snap shut again. [The man who invented that system married a girl friend of mine, he became a millionaire, bought a huge mansion, so I was out]
    The tank valves are also opened and shut from the Cargo Control Room with hydrolics.
    It also has a LoadMaster Computer that shows the sheer stresses imposed on the hull when loading oil into various tanks to prevent the ship from breaking.
    I hope this explains what a control room is. They didnt have them on T2s.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fleming Gear.
    Tony we use to call this type Barmaids Gear,because of the action needed (Like pulling a pint) It was mostly on Liners were the manning of the many L/Boats didn't require much small boat handling skills. CPR. in Montreal would have Boat-Drill and send away a few L/Boats (with a mixed and motley crew) It was great fun,racing around the Harbour.
    I was painting Ships decks up untill I retired,and we used the modern anti-slip/skid paint but for well used areas of the deck we added fine sand as a back up.
    Peter,

. Hi Peter, I remember those boat drills on the Empress boats in Montreal, One time one of them got too close to the River at the end of the piers and was swept away down stream. They landed miles away and had to come back to Montreal on a bus all wearing life jackets. Everyone laughing at them, A tug bought the life boat back later.
    I have used sand in the paint for decks on many ships for none slip. On the Big Ones the white track around the fore deck , the walk way, was also used as a Jogging Track by some for exercise. so the sand was good for that.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5