Thread: mv "NOTTINGHAM" SUNK 1941

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mv "NOTTINGHAM" SUNK 1941

Hi Folks
    A bit off topic I know but I would like to tell you all a story. About six years ago I started doing our family history

My Dad's best friend and best man married my Mum's sister in August 1941 and she was widowed in November 1941 when her husband William (Bill) Gregory died when the mv Nottingham sunk. I was shocked at a family gathering last year that none of my cousins had heard of Bill although I had knon of him all my life and it sent me on a mission to bring these very brave courageous men back into our lives. How did I know about Bill - well I was every parent's nightmare - a real nosey brat. The story has a happy ending because 6 years after Bill's death my aunt married a steward in the MN and moved to Australia, had 2 children and lived to 91 years of age.

During my research I was again shocked to find that my maternal grandmother had 2 brothers who died on the Somme aged 19 and 20. Why had we never heard about these brave boys? Needless to say they are all back in the centre of my family and I will make sure that they are never forgotten again.

Thank you for listening ????

Lilian
    Last edited by Lilian Pain; 23rd June 2011 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sad story, Lilian. All 62 on board the Nottingham died. Some, perhaps, in lifeboats after the sinking. You'll find details on the uboat net.

Best wishes

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cargo ship Nottingham, 8,532grt, (Federal SN Co. Ltd) had sailed independently from Glasgow on her maiden voyage for New York with a general cargo. Also onboard was a Captain Arthur Cooper from the Port Line shipping Co. who was en-route to Montreal to take up a post with the MOWT (Ministry of War Transport). On the 7th November 1941 at 22.34 hours (CET) the ship was intercepted by U-74 about 500 miles South-East of Cape Farewell, one of 14 U-boats operating in that area and damaged in the stern after the Nottingham had earlier tried to ram the U-boat. The ship was hit by a second torpedo twenty-five minutes later and sank in position 53' 24N 31' 51W. No distress message was sent, though the Germans report seeing lifeboats being launched, but these were never seen again. There were no survivors from her compliment of sixty-three.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Thank you DeepSea again you have come up trumps.

Take care

Lilian