Thread: WW1, WALTZING MATILDA.Reminds me of when we took the Australian troops to the war in Malaya, in

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WW1, WALTZING MATILDA.Reminds me of when we took the Australian troops to the war in Malaya, in

https://youtu.be/VktJNNKm3B0

sound on,

Very sad song of WW1.reminds me of when we took Australian Troops , 2RAR, to the war in Malaya. in 1955.
    I found a young Soldier weeping in a corner as we sailed down Sydney Harbour, with bands playing Matilda and Girls screaming from the Ferries, I had my arm round his shoulders as he wept tears onto my chest. "I am not coming back from this one, I did Korea but I am scared of this one,"
    We stood like that for 20 minutes or so,
    I often wondered if he did survive, Quite a few did get killed.
    Brian.

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW1, WALTZING MATILDA.Reminds me of when we took the Australian troops to the war in Malaya, in

The. British troops in Malaya were mostly all national servicemen. Don’t know too much about the Australian troops, but If anything like Vietnam the Australian veterans their names were pulled out of a hat. On return home after the conflict they were reviled by most. There is still a lot of ill feeling there. After the fleet returned to Portsmouth after the Falklands I was with was with a bunch of matelots off one of one of the hit ships ( by an Exocet) there was no visions of grandeur by this lot in fact some were leaving the navy as soon as possible. War brings up false visions of heroic proportions . All false. Unless you like pain and misery that is. That Bengal lancer who said your a better man than me Gunga Din , had it just about right. JS

4. Thanks cappy, Captain Kong, Doc Vernon, Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW1, WALTZING MATILDA.Reminds me of when we took the Australian troops to the war in Malaya, in

Well done Cap you have a good heart, wherever he is he will not forget that comforting embrace from a fellow being, sadly lacking in our communities today. R

Keith at Tregenna Guest

All respect.

Thanks Capt.

In Ever Glorious Memory Of The Men Of Australia And New Zealand Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914 - 1918.

oz nz.jpg

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Denis O'Shea liked this post