Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Swinging Fifties‏

john sutton Guest

Default Re: The Swinging Fifties‏

as a youth in the 50,s I used to go to the plaza ballroom in Manchester and occaisionally asked young ladies if I could drive them home.Cars were not usual in those days and most young ladies would look pleased and ask if I had a car(could have been a motorbike).my answer would be "no a whip"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11.. John we had a young teacher like cappys also, I received the strap from her a few times and although the strap hurt, was beginning to accept such for she would burst into tears after she had done it. This would have been a big in for Cappy to console her then, I didn't have the nerve, maybe I had sadistic tendencies and got my pleasure from being strapped, never got as far as the black leather stuff though. The hands would have been useless however as stung for about an hour after, didn't half hurt. Better than the cane though which some of the male teachers were real sadistic at times. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #6, 'and can even smell the perfume' Cappy was it Ivan's favourite "Yardley"?
    ####no marion .....i dont think .......but as a young man on my ist trip through the suez canal i was stupid enough to buy for my current girlfriend a bottle of ..........wait for it named ....AROMA OF THE WADI .....which i bilieve was a cross between a camels rear end and the aroma drifting from a place where camel drivers pass by the only tree for miles around .......and hide behind it ....to complete there ablutions.....the switch between what the bumboatmen offered and what i got....was done ist class....aghh the learning curve of life........regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan ref 8, we refer to at as England, because all the good things you get over there (i know, not many), never seem to apply to us over here, have a look at job adverts and wages for etc, mind you does give us a laugh. By the way, i have lived here for over 40 years, i,m still an overner!!!! kt

gray_marian Guest

#11, John, your car reference reminded me of a GPO work colleague Dolly, who when young herself was on a date. The guy offered to drive her home even though he didn't have a car! When she realised he meant to steal one she made her excuses and fled. The following year he was the last man in Scotland to be tried and hanged for murder. His name was Peter Manuel, think it was 1957 the year I was born. Seventeen years later I was working weekends voluntarily at an old Victorian mansion house [hospital] where I told the cook the same story, she in return said one of his victims had been the sixteen year old daughter of her bridesmaid who had taken a short cut via the lane at the rear of the hospital to go to a local dance......
    As it was time for me to leave I was so scared that I asked Betty [cook] to wait at the front door whilst I legged it as fast as I could straight through the manicured front lawn instead of the horse shoe path established. [Matron would have went ballistic] I got to the bottom of the hill towards the gates I looked back to see Betty's silhouette and her ankle length apron billowing around her in the wind which gave me the heebie jeebies. That procedure continued till spring and the nights were lighter

Peter Thomas Anthony "The Beast of Birkenshaw ... - YouTube
    Video for youtube clip of peter manuel, last man to be hung in scotland▶ 44:42
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOknCObysSA
    Last edited by gray_marian; 16th February 2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added text

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 Keith, is the railway on the island still operational, or all gone?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #6, 'and can even smell the perfume' Cappy was it Ivan's favourite "Yardley"?
    Wasn't so much my favourite perfume, but it was my favourite currency for things not available in the shops!

8. Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Braid, the railway is in the Island news at this very moment, the franchise has come up for renewal, and i dont think anyone wants it!!!, as you are probably aware the only trains to run on the gauge of track we have here are ex London underground trains, and they are knackered. Its become bit of a scary ride, bounces about all over the place, latest idea is to convert trolley busses , except the tunnel at Ryde is too low , watch this space as they say Kt

10. Thanks Braid Anderson thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Taught by Nuns.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #11.. John we had a young teacher like cappys also, I received the strap from her a few times and although the strap hurt, was beginning to accept such for she would burst into tears after she had done it. This would have been a big in for Cappy to console her then, I didn't have the nerve, maybe I had sadistic tendencies and got my pleasure from being strapped, never got as far as the black leather stuff though. The hands would have been useless however as stung for about an hour after, didn't half hurt. Better than the cane though which some of the male teachers were real sadistic at times. Cheers JS
    Hi John.
    Picture speaks a thousand words,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be aware windows 10 and Microsoft edge users, if you click on one of the other UTUBE videos on Marians original link, your puter gets taken over with a message saying Microsoft Edge has a problem that only a Microsoft engineer can solve and gives you a number to call. The only way to get this off your browser is to use windows restore function that keeps your files, re-installs windows but removes all your apps.
    Guess which idiot clicked on one of those other UTUBE videos and has to have spent the last 3 hours restoring the puter and installing apps.
    No prizes for guessing.
    rgds
    JA

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast