Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just Wondering Rob.P, Cappy & John.S

gray_marian Guest

Default Re: Just Wondering Rob.P, Cappy & John.S

#7&8, John& Cappy, Wee question. My Gt,Grandmother was born in Durham, South of Newcastle upon Tyne. Then aged 13 moved to the Parish of Standwix, Carlisle, Cumberland. So would she have been thought of as a South Shields lass? ie a sandancer or some other
    colloquialism?
    Last edited by gray_marian; 18th July 2014 at 03:01 PM.

2. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #7&8, John& Cappy, Wee question. My Gt,Grandmother was born in Durham, South of Newcastle upon Tyne. Then aged 13 moved to the Parish of Standwix, Carlisle, Cumberland. So would she have been thought of as a South Shields lass? ie a sandancer or some other
    colloquialism?
    ###dont know what they are called in durham ..........but sandancers just shields and mackems sunderland

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

colloquialism?
    Marian
    Was your Gt. Grandmother born in Durham City or the County Of Durham.
    South Shields was in the County of Durham until the formation Of Tyne and Wear sometime back in 1972.
    There has over the years been large movements of people around England. My wife's family started off many moons ago in S. Wales and over the centuries have migrated North to end up here.
    Many families have crossed the North from Durham to Cumberland and vice versa, indeed again part of the wife's family originated in Carlisle and she even has Scottish roots with family members originating in Edinburgh some 100 odd years ago.
    rgds
    JA

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#13, Thank you John, Gt,Grandmother born 9, Vine Lane, St. Andrew District, County of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne to be precise Lived in 6, Edentown, Blanchland, Durham with uncle after death of father & stepfather
    Last edited by gray_marian; 18th July 2014 at 05:43 PM.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13, Thank you John, Gt,Grandmother born 9, Vine Lane, St. Andrew District, County of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne to be precise Lived in 6, Edentown, Blanchland, Durham with uncle after death of father & stepfather
    She came from a most excellent part of the country

- - - Updated - - -

She came from a most excellent part of the country
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14... Marian my wife born Newcastle but lived in Gateshead. In the early years I quite often had to chastise her and threaten to send her back over the river to Cappy Country. I have quite often over the years met people with good sun tans who tell me "My daddy was a Geordie, and he cum to South Shiely fo further Edification, they mean education of course). Cappy knows a lot of them. I would imagine anyone living any where south of Durham City might have great allusions to being nearly English. Half of my family lived in the London area at one time as more than likely marched in the Jarrow March, bur probably joined it when it was well clear of Sand Dancer country. Those that survived the war years and died in old age, their offspring have nearly all returned to their roots somewhere in the north of England, if you will accept Yorkshire, as Cappy now has his summer retreat there. Ha way the noo. John S

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

haddawayandshite

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian
    Vine Street is still there and still is part residential but it also has a number of antique shops as well as bars. As it is very near the Universities I would hazard a guess that many of the houses are student accommodation. Next time I'm in Newcastle I may just have a wander down it.
    Edentown is, I guess, an area of Carlisle named after the River Eden that flows through Carlisle and regularly floods Carlisle United football ground. It is also the spot where the railway marshalling yards used to be.
    Blanchland is a cracking little place in Northumberland with a great pub and hotel. It is situated right o
    n the border between Northumberland and Durham.
    You mention Durham again, is this Durham city or the county of Durham or are you thinking that Blanchland is in County Durham
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanchland
    rgds
    JA

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

#18, Thank you John for replying with extra details, I appreciate that. The 1881 Census states that she was in Medomsley,Durham, England.....but her stepfather [handsome cab driver] is in
    41, Prudhoe St. Newcastle at the same time so rather confusing. As with all ancestry questions
    you receive an answer which then leads to more questions

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

John A, Just looked up Medomsley it's in Co.Durham cannot have been there long as she lived and worked with her uncle's in his grocer shop in Blanchland till getting married in 1893. Four children in Newcastle [including my grandfather] then off to Forfar Angus with hubby and had another four.
    Last edited by gray_marian; 19th July 2014 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian
    Google Prudhoe Street and you will come up with quite a lot of information on it. It still exists and next door to a couple of pubs in the street there is a mission that is well known for feeding the people living on the streets of Newcastle, of which, even in this day and age, there are quite a large number.
    Regarding Medomsley,
    it is next to Consett, which at one time was the largest steel producing town in the North of England , long since gone.
    The wife's gt. grandmother came to Consett from S. Wales with her family, following large numbers of welsh miners and steel workers who migrated to the area when the steel works were opening fuelled by coal from the many mines in the area.
    Her Granmother was born in Consett to an Edinburgh plasterer who had come down to work his magic in plaster on ceilings of banks and theatres in the area, eventually ending up in South Shields where the Scotsman again worked on decorative plaster work in banks etc. before dying in poverty as an alcoholic in the Newcastle work house.
    rgds
    JA

19. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast