Click here to view on the web
||
Highlighted posts
||
March 28, 2022 * 14 posts * 566 views
ArticlesDavid mullins said:
Head wetting incident 1962 en route from Portishead to Boca Grande Florida for a bulk cargo of Sulphur. The ship was the MV Macaulay of Chine Shipping. Accommodation and engine was aft with 5 forward hatches. This was my third trip on ... Read more >>
March 10, 2022 * 29 posts * 2,261 views
Nautical TalesDavid mullins said:
Following a couple of weeks break at home after a 2 year jag on the “ MV British Monarch” trading between Japan, Aussie, NZ and the Guano islands of Nauru and Ocean Island I’d had enough deep sea at least for a while so I opted for a a nice ... Read more >>
March 21, 2022 * 8 posts * 64 views
Research Help - Where to lookJon Zubieta said:
My father, Francisco Zubieta, served as first mate on the Thorpebay during the months of August and September of 1937. The ship was engaged in removing Republican refugees from Gijon. I would like to get some information on the activities ... Read more >>
February 04, 2022 * 14 posts * 1,386 views
Requests for HelpStephen Harding said:
Hi, I am researching my Grandad and know he was on the ship HMLST3011 in 1944 celebrating his 18th birthday, we have a picture of him on his birthday with shipmates, his name was John Caddick but some differences with his DOB 26th May 1924 ... Read more >>
October 03, 2018 * 23 posts * 6,421 views
Shoreside CapersHarry Nicholson said:
I've just written a piece as homework for Egton Bridge Writers' Group. Theme: a visit to the hairdresser's. It is nautical, and mostly true. Berengaria. I peer through the window. The barber’s shop in York Road looks not too busy this ... Read more >>
April 08, 2022 * 28 posts * 560 views
Ask the Forumj.sabourn said:
Most on this site who were at sea , went through the period when wire splicing was near enough a full time job on some ships especially on ships engaged in the likes of general ... Read more >>
April 06, 2022 * 25 posts * 601 views
Merchant Navy General PostingsJohn Arton said:
Irrespective of whether you did pre sea training or not or served an apprenticeship ashore, your first job at sea meant you invariably started at the bottom of the pile. My first ... Read more >>
April 07, 2022 * 12 posts * 289 views
Merchant Navy General PostingsRobert George Young said:
We're many ships carrying a cargo of asbestos in the day ? Read more >>
April 08, 2022 * 13 posts * 238 views
News SnippetsJohn Arton said:
We were all used to things being stolen from our ships, be it port officials demanding "presents" or stevedores helping themselves to cargo brand goods but this takes the biscuit. ... Read more >>
April 06, 2022 * 3 posts * 126 views
World WarsBrian Probetts (Site Admin) said:
John Auld [image] These are some of my wartime experiences from 15 years of age until wars end 1945, 22 years old. The North Atlantic or Western Ocean in maritime terms which I ... Read more >>

More...