Click here to view on the web
||
Highlighted posts
||
October 17, 2019 * 15 posts * 5,351 views
Swinging the LampCaptain Kong said:
DRY DOCK ON THE TYNE, NEARLY WRECKED ME. In the 80s I was 2nd Mate on a Tanker and we went into dry dock in Wallsend on the Tyne. We were to be there for Five weeks so I went home on the first Sunday on the train and brought back my car ... Read more >>
April 29, 2019 * 2 posts * 2,236 views
General ArticlesDoc Vernon said:
Howmy father-in-law’s memories became my book, Forgotten Hero ofBunker Valentin – The Harry Callan Story InJanuary 1941, my father-in-law, Harry Callan, became a prisoner ofwar, when his ship the Afric Star was attacked by a raider ... Read more >>
September 14, 2016 * 10 posts * 181 views
Forgotten TragediesCaptain Kong said:
I was trying to find information of the treatment of the British Merchant Seamen by the French in WW2 and came across this article in the BBCs "PEOPLES WAR". a very interesting story of this man`s treatment. His Compensation was confiscated ... Read more >>
October 05, 2016 * 1 post * 667 views
ArticlesDoc Vernon said:
​Yes, I've caught up with my Scribblings. But it is really much too much to read -- well, maybe you can finish between now and, say, Christmas! But we are in Belfast today -- and of course the spectacular Titanic Museum, which is shaped ... Read more >>
December 10, 2017 * 6 posts * 1,224 views
Merchant Navy General PostingsCaptain Kong said:
The complete voyage on the NZ STAR "New Zealand Star" 1 Blue Star Line M.V. "New Zealand Star" Built: Harland & Wolff, Belfast ON: 163213 Dimensions: 524.2 x 70.4 x 32.3 feet Tonnage: Gross: 10740 Net: 6527 Propulsion: Two ... Read more >>
July 03, 2018 * 1 post * 239 views
Personal Tales and StoriesDoc Vernon said:
This is the wartime story of my father Eric Pointon, who served in the Merchant Navy, in many theatres with distinction, and is dedicated to his memory. Read on please BBC - WW2 People's War - Tanker 'British Sergeant' — Eric Pointon's ... Read more >>
January 07, 2021 * 37 posts * 4,445 views
ArticlesPeter Copley said:
Although I’m fairly new to this site, I can’t help noticing the many references to women of the world’s seaports. They may be innocent church-going local girls, however, I get the impression from some comments, like leaping out of windows ... Read more >>
May 21, 2012 * 85 posts * 36,170 views
General ArticlesBrian Probetts (Site Admin) said:
Ten Pound Poms by Mike Williamson - View Profile - View Forum Posts - Private Message - View Blog Entries ... Read more >>
November 24, 2021 * 43 posts * 985 views
News SnippetsRed Lead Ted said:
France to the UK, local reports say. According to fishermen, more migrants left France's northern shores than usual to take advantage of calm sea conditions, although the water ... Read more >>
November 25, 2021 * 22 posts * 483 views
Ask the ForumHazel Stringer said:
Hi, I have very little information about the picture below. It was taken in 1943, possibly in the West Indies or more likely inthe USA. The shorter man on the right (US uniform) ... Read more >>

More...