Click here to view on the web
||
Highlighted posts
||
May 20, 2010 * 71 posts * 38,625 views
Canadian PacificIan Walker said:
Hi lads, I was at Malaga airport last week and I was sitting next to an old boy who had trouble getting out of his chair as he was very bad on his legs and needed crutches to get about. I helped him out of his chair and he clocked the ... Read more >>
April 27, 2021 * 35 posts * 2,194 views
Ask the ForumKevin Matthews said:
Hello All, I just joined this group and I am trying to locate any information on my Grandfather John Joseph Matthews, who served in the Merchant Navy from 1909-1912 until he retired in 1948 or so. He was born in Dublin Ireland in 1882/1884 ... Read more >>
April 02, 2018 * 13 posts * 9,376 views
Nautical TalesBrian Probetts (Site Admin) said:
Hi, my dad, Noel Murray, was a merchant navy electrician from 1958 to 1982. He died in 2014 but wrote his life story which I’ve now published as a blog. It could be of interest to anyone with an interest in life at sea in that period ... Read more >>
October 19, 2021 * 18 posts * 427 views
My Memoires and Other Interesting ThingsDoc Vernon said:
Roy Orbison - In Dreams (Black & White Night 30) - YouTube Was sitting here listening to one of my old time Favourite songs by Roy the Boy! Now this song brings back a lot of memories ... Read more >>
October 19, 2021 * 16 posts * 405 views
Swinging the Lampj.sabourn said:
Not so much the Island bit , but the name. Having sailed on a ship with Irishmen of both denominations and both from the Republic and being the meat in the sandwich and not being ... Read more >>
October 24, 2021 * 5 posts * 128 views
Merchant Navy General PostingsSylvia Grinham said:
Can anyone help please? I was asked by someone on the NZ shipping company FB page was Stan (aka Goolie), a Vindi Boy or a peanut what does this mean? He was at sea the same years ... Read more >>
October 21, 2021 * 5 posts * 143 views
Merchant Navy General PostingsJohn Arton said:
Survey work has started to discover if there are any dangerous unexploded ordnance remaining on a WW2 shipwreck off sheerness. Rgds J.A. [link] Read more >>
October 20, 2021 * 6 posts * 101 views
Poetry & BalladsMarian Gray said:
Within the walls of Kirkdale prison, Edward Cooper a seaman is doomed to die for wilful murderwhich he committed on the high sea on a British vessel named the Coldbeck. Cooper ... Read more >>
October 22, 2021 * 3 posts * 118 views
News SnippetsKeith at Tregenna said:
Days when we DID have enough dockers (when they weren't on strike!) Rarely-seen images capture life at Port of London from the 20th century, with 'knocker uppers' and shipments ... Read more >>
October 20, 2021 * 1 post * 82 views
General Member DiscussionBill Cameron said:
On BBC 1 tonight, on the program "The Repair Shop", a fireman from the Titanic, who saved 68 in a lifeboat, had his replacement Discharge Book restored back to its original state, ... Read more >>

More...