Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sea Ice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Bengy Roberts View Post
    Humans are adding CO2 to the atmosphere, mainly by burning fossil fuels. BENGY
    Bengy, it has been estimated that on any day there are well over 2 million wood fires burning to provide cooking and heating in some third world countries.
    It will be many, many years before they join a fossil fuel free world.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Bengy Roberts Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Bengy, it has been estimated that on any day there are well over 2 million wood fires burning to provide cooking and heating in some third world countries.
    It will be many, many years before they join a fossil fuel free world.
    gonna run out tho,,,then wave,wind,,here for long time

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bengy, any system that relies on the weather to produce is going to be subject to problems. There has to be some form of stable back up be it coal, gas or any other means.

There are currently 1465 clean coal power stations being built around the world, China, India, Japan being the most.

Wind power require between 15 and 45 knots to work, outside of that no go.
    Solar panels, and I have them on my roof, are subject to seasonal variation.
    Spring and autumn they are good, winter when the sun is low in the sky not so good.
    In summer when air temp goes over 28degrees it shuts down to prevent damage to panels.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sea ice I have often been looked at funny about this but its the truth seen with my own eyes when I was a kid 61/62 we our gang played on seaforth shore and seen the river Mersey frozen over lumps of ice the size of cars on the what was the tide line but the river was frozen not for long but that winter we had snow on the ground here for 17 weeks ? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was in the Antarctic in 2009, I went to Desolation Island, it is the Caldera inside a volcano, surrounded by ice on the land and ice bergs around the outside.
    The water was very warm and a few of us went swimming, Seemed to be strange swimming in warm water in ice covered surroundings.
    The heat from the Volcanoe kept it warm
    There are many Volcanoes in and around the Antarctic and this is why on occasions the surrounding ice could melt, Not through global warming.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In St Petersburgh we were told the river there freezes from mid October to early April with a warm winter day at about minus 5.
    In parts the river is almost 400 meters wide so the frost must be very hard.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about those Ice Truckers! They sure have dangerous job!
    Watched a few Episodes of that and Wow! Some of those Guys!
    Cheers Not for me that is for sure! How thick would that have to be to support those Heavy Trucks ,and if at any time they hit a thin Ice ! Watch Out!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The green doomsayers seem to forget that we old salts still have our memories.
    When I came to Ozzie in 1958 the 2 hot topics were:-
    1the mouth of the Murray river was going seal up and the river would run dry.

2. The great barrier reef would be dead in 10 years.

Billions more water is being syphoned from the river now than then, but it is still flowing, and the reef is still there. How can the doomsayers explain this?

12. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many years ago in a paper issued by the Institute of Electrical Engineers , wind wave and solar power were examined in detail and the conclusion was that as a country we needed 5 new nuclear

Wind power and wave power as well as solar panels they're all very well but they're not consistent . And whilst these could provide large chunks of power you still need the constant availability in the background . When you see the figures issued by the green lobby who seem to have some huge axe to grind they miss out one of the most important parts of any carbon calculation and that is the construction and the disposal of the batteries they supplied not only to automotive but also did some of the climate generated power systems . When you are doing an environmental assessment of a new system you include what the carbon usage has been in its construction and manufacturer a few years ago one of these was done for the offshore power and I believe it was the Isle of Arran missing from the calculation was over 35 miles of connecting cable to bring the power to the Scottish mainland when it was queried why had they missed out a huge chunk in the carbon balance the green lobby who were promoting the use of the wind power said oh no the connecting cable isn't part of the generating system so unfortunately every time I have seen figures they have never been either accurate or complete so at the end of the day I am still not sure what the truth is when it comes to these powers I do know though that there were huge subsidies which made the wind power become a viable proposition and without the subsidies the early onshore and offshore wind power would never have started
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

14. Thanks Doc Vernon, Trader thanked for this post
    Likes Trader liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Rob same thing can be said for solar panels huge subsidies or there used to be. John said that solar panels become less efficient when the ambient air temperature goes above 28 degrees, thanks for that info John just been reading an article about it and the efficiency drop off is significant.The Effects of Temperature on Solar Panel Power Production | Home Guides | SF Gate When you consider the cost of installation of Photovoltaics, or solar panels without subsidies the outlay must surely make it non viable for the average house hold. I used to drive frequently down through Spain anyone who has done the drive down the AP23 (Huesca, Zaragoza , Teruel , Valencia) will not have failed to notice the number of wind turbines and Solar Panel fields. I wonder what the cost was for that lot(no doubt EU funded)but that terrain is not really a lot of use for anything else as it is just desertsoas Tesco says every little helps. Tidal power also is an option let's face it the tide comes in and out in most places twice a day. For years they have been talking about building a water driven turbine on the Mersey, Ithink they may have got as far as trying a model turbine on the river. Surely the Thames would be an ideal place for a water driven power plant, the rise and fall of the tide on the Thames is what 30' I know they have a few small time plants but nothing of any significance. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e-river-thames. I know there is or used to be hydro powered station in Wales were basically bored a tunnel under a mountain that had a lake on top and put a turbine in the tunnel. They then dropped the waater fromthe lake to drive the turbine and the water was then pumped back upto the lake roughly that was the concept. One of the spin offs was that the water temperautre of the lake started to increase and I believe for the fishermen they were catching someamazing large trout.
    One thing for sure though is anything that does cut down pollution has to be good , if not for the planet but for the human race as a whole. Plant more trees , no trees no planet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3