Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Met Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Met Ships

Hope they didn't put too much faith in the height of the base of the lowest cloud. At 0400 hrs in the morning and in the dark cannot have been too accurate. Everyone knows the world doesn't stand still as regards most things, just look at the poor old dinosaurs. Everything is changing all the time. As you say what they come out with is a load of codswallop. Suppose they have to do something in life maybe a well paying job putting the general public in panic mode. Someone somewhere along the food chain is making money from it. Cheers J>

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we were in the Red sea and Locusts flew on board I would place two in a king size cigarette packet, just the right length, and they would be posted to Bracknell Herts, at the next port. With the wind speed and direction at the time and from where they were coming from and where heading to. So they could monitor the swarms of Locusts.
    Brian.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    When we were in the Red sea and Locusts flew on board I would place two in a king size cigarette packet, just the right length, and they would be posted to Bracknell Herts, at the next port. With the wind speed and direction at the time and from where they were coming from and where heading to. So they could monitor the swarms of Locusts.
    Brian.
    Are you sure they did not become food for the people of Boltonstan??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the ships I sailed on as a cadet or officer were reporting ships.

We were in the phosphate trade in the late 50's and reports to Essindon at a time when there was only limited reports in the Pacific.. The old man was very keen on the reporting and we had people from that met office regularly on board for lunch. One trip running close to the Chesterfields with a cyclone to the west of us on the run from Melbourne to Ocean Island Essindon asked us to check our wind direction and speed and barometer readings and tendancy. This had the old man spluttering in his gin and straight to the bridge to personally check every reading and sparks sending the new message. About an hour later, they released anew report indicating that there were now 2 cyclones in the area with us in the middle. Another gin and hang on.

8. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was up for masters, it was not unusual to have to plot a weather chart from the coded reports.

At this time, my brother was at Plymouth tec studying to be a RO so on Sunday mrning we would tune my radio into Portishead and he would take down the N Atlantic weather and I would then decode and plot the weather mao which I took to college next day. Needless to say I did not get that question inMasters exam

10. Likes j.sabourn, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can recall drawing up the 24hr cyclonic forecast from Bracknell, received from Portishead by the sparky who used to curse having to take down all the info. in morse. It was not until the late 70's that I can recall having a weather facsimile receiver been fitted on board.
    rgds
    JA

12. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you know your Weather Log Books were used by the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit ? They went through them all and used them to create their Graphs of GLOBAL Temperatures from 1850, and come to the conclusion that Humans were causing catastrophic global warming, or Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming. ( CAGW) Laurie.

We are having Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Freezing here in Bolton istan. It is like the Khyber Pass in winter.
    Severe gales, pouring rain, and freezing cold. Weather man on BBC News says more to come all over the weekend,
    I was having a big garden party on Sunday with over 40 guests for my 80 Birthday.
    I worked hard all week. painted fences, scrubbed the paving, barbarised and holy stoned the decking, got my Gazeebos out , bought another three new Tables and chairs, spent a few hundred pounds and it looks as tho` 44 people will be squashed up inside the house.
    I even have a young lady friend who is a club singer to entertain us. Speakers rigged up in the trees, Going to be difficult inside a house shoulder to shoulder.
    And These Stupid Greens tell me we have Global Warming, so they increase my Tax on My Car.
    Sunday, 21 June is the longest day, Mid summer and its like January.
    I WANT MY SUMMERS BACK.

Brian.

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Don Cook liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Happy Birthday in advance Brian. Hope you haven't invited the ginger squirrel as you know they go for the nuts. I'm 18 months behind you, whats it like getting old. Got Gwen going in to hospital for the first of two operations on hip renewals next month, told her all this dancing when younger was not good for her. Will be eating in the either McDonalds or Hungry Jacks whilst in, maybe a pub lunch now and then. With all your neighbours with the mystique of the mysterious east you should only be a secondary target in the case of any big bangs. Anyhow if you invite Heyou should be safe enough. All the best with your celebrations you don't look a day over 50. Cheers John S

16. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could you hire the local mosque for the day if it rains Brian,maybe your mate next door could recommend you.Have a nice day.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

18. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, N/A, John Gill liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a wonderful Idea Jim, I never thought of that.
    I must go and see Hey Yoo, and see if he can arrange it.
    Plenty room in those buildings, our local one holds 3,000, But I cannot afford poppadums' and rice for 3,000.
    Unless I get the local kebab shop to do the Catering.
    . If anyone is passing you are all welcome to join in.

John
    I bet the Red Squirrel will come disguised as a Nun.
    All the best to Gwen for her Hip Op. Hope it is successful.
    get on the train and go to Freo to Thingyrillose , Fish and chips with a few beers, good view of the boats.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 18th June 2015 at 12:24 PM.

20. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, j.sabourn liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast