Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Seamens `Pool` Liverpool. [Shipping Federation]

Ron Hamilton Guest

Hi Bob, I remember your grandad very well & with great appreciation , who helped me to get back on the pool as a deckboy after the '47 seamans strike , he was the only one of those staff who I respected . Ron Hamilton , NZ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Firemens School

Quote Originally Posted by Trampshipman View Post
    Calling Liverpool seamen of the 40s/50`s regarding `the Pool` in old Canning Place.

I seem to remember the merchant navy `Pool` [The Shipping Federation] as being in a large building along one side of open ground at Canning Place. Just across from the `Pool` was The Seamens Union in a separate building on its own. Then at the top end of that open space stood the old `Sailors Home`, near to a `firing` school. Or should I say a school for firemen ? [of the stoking variety].
    Now, I`ve just read that the `Pool` was actually in the ground floor of the `Sailors Home` building, and I feel sure that unless my memory is playing tricks on me, that just cannot be true.
    Is there someone out there who can confirm the accuracy of my memory ? OR :- Is someone going to tell me that my `head is gone`, and that there is now nothing between my ears but `space` ?
    Come on then, I can take it !!!

Regards,
    Ken.
    Hi Ken.
    Many years ago I heard the story about the Firemens School,
    And I was told that part of the training was shoveling coal
    through a swinging car/lorry tyre,for them to get used to the
    rolling of the ships.Sounds a bit far fetched,but some of these
    stories sometimes turn out to be true.Any ideas ?.

Dave Williams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Pool

Michael,you have just educated me I did'nt know that Deck Officers used this place to look for employment,I a;ways thought it was for deck,engine and catering ratings.I could'nt imagine you guys getting sent through the turnstile with us and hustleing for a job.Which part of the building did you guys use?
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans pool Shipping Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Michael,you have just educated me I did'nt know that Deck Officers used this place to look for employment,I a;ways thought it was for deck,engine and catering ratings.I could'nt imagine you guys getting sent through the turnstile with us and hustleing for a job.Which part of the building did you guys use?
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Hi Jim

Got a few jobs as 3/m and 2/m from "Pool" in Posterngate Hull in 50's and 60's. as relief 3/m and 2/m when waiting for my favourite ship to come back whilst on leave.

Working as a relief gave you a great insight to how different companies treated their personnel of all departments and was useful later on in my career

Ivan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Williams View Post
    Hi Ken.
    Many years ago I heard the story about the Firemens School,
    And I was told that part of the training was shoveling coal
    through a swinging car/lorry tyre,for them to get used to the
    rolling of the ships.Sounds a bit far fetched,but some of these
    stories sometimes turn out to be true.Any ideas ?.

Dave Williams
    Hi Dave, in the Firemens Training school in the early 50s they shovelled Pebbles through the tyres, much cleaner than coal and cheaper, then they shovelled it back again to teach them how to get in the rytham of the swing and to learn how to jerk and flick the shovel with the wrist, to spread the coal evenly across the fires in the furness.
    I learned that on a coal burner I was on .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Pool Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi Dave, in the Firemens Training school in the early 50s they shovelled Pebbles through the tyres, much cleaner than coal and cheaper, then they shovelled it back again to teach them how to get in the rytham of the swing and to learn how to jerk and flick the shovel with the wrist, to spread the coal evenly across the fires in the furness.
    I learned that on a coal burner I was on .
    During one of my trips as a "Pleasurer" on trawlers when I was 13 years old was to help the fireman down below, the bloody shovel was bigger than me, luckily I didn't have to fire the boiler, but just feed the firemans heap in front of the boiler. Just shove this bloody great shovel into the bunker drag it backwards swing it round on the roll of the trawler and jerk the shovel backwards and the coal shot off towards the fireman. First few attempts the coal went everywhere, but you soon picked it up.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a pleasurer isn't what some of you might be thinking, go wash your minds out with carbolic soap, its what they called us young lads who got unpaid jobs on trawlers, when we went off to Barents Sea, Iceland and White Sea etc for three weeks at a time. What we got was experience, fresh fish and more fresh fish and more fresh fish (no I'm not stuttering), and I still can't swim!

Depending on the results of the trip, we got tips from those we had helped, as we did the jobs others didn't want onboard, coal bunker, chopping ice in the hold. peeling spuds, dishes etc, but at the same time gaining knowledge and experience, also learnt a whole new language I couldn't use at home!, well not without getting my head knocked off

Was able to buy myself a new drop handled racing bike from my first trip tips, with money left over for presents for the family

There was no Elf n safeti then, they would have had a blue fit, the experiences were great, as Dad was at sea, mum never thought to say no you can't go, as she had to sign the indemnity documents for the trawler owners. Now the mothers take their kids to school when they are thirteen, glad I was born when I was, life on reflection seemed to have so much more to offer and you made your own fun and adventures.

Ivan

Gulliver Guest

Nice one,Ivan but "A Pleasurer on a trawler?"......Ivan,it's no wonder non-seafarers get the wrong idea about we sailors.Actually,I always thought a pleasurer was a French tickler.

As for your too many F's in your fish,here's a joke:-

Woman walks into a fishmongers...stands in the queue and eventually reaches the counter...

"Can I have some cod please?"...she says to the fishmonger...
    "Sorry love"...answered the fishmonger..."we haven't any cod left"...

The lady leaned over and whispered..."If you could spare a bit of the cod you keep under the counter for your special customers...I'll pay extra"...

"Sorry"...the fishmonger repeated..."there is no cod"...

The lady moved away from the counter and rejoined the queue...

Eventually...she reached the counter again...

"Can I have some cod please?"...she asked the fishmonger again...

The fishmonger looked at the woman...and shouted..."look love...I haven't got any F.C.O.D!"

The woman looked quizzically at the fishmonger and remarked... Don't Shout,and anyway there's no 'f' in cod".

"I know"...shouted the fishmonger..."I've just told you twice!.Next Please!"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gulliver; 14th May 2011 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Pool Liverpool

Whilst we're on the theme

I went to a seafood disco last week............ and pulled a mussel

Gulliver Guest

Default BSF Mann Island

Yes,I too am acquainted with this establishment,as one of the helpful gentlemen there was responsible for my entry to the MN.

1969:-I'd left school with 5 O Levels nine months previously and found myself working as a Jnr.Sales Rep.Trainee for a Stationery Co. in Manchester (thrilling).Well,it was my first job,and I was working in the Big City(Manchester-where I was born.) Actually.I was living in Warrington at the time,and who cared if all my wages were eaten up by my daily bus and train fares.! Hey,I was earning a living!
    The world was my oyster.

Anyway,I had just been accepted into the Royal Navy as a Seaman rating and was sort of thrilled that I would be going down to join the 'concrete' training ship HMS Raleigh a few months hence.I knew I wanted to go to sea,but wasn't sure if all that 'being a number and not a face' in the services would suit me

That summer,I took a day trip into Liverpool and thought I'd 'get into 'sailor mood' by taking a few round trips on the ferry across to Birkenhead.My first trip to sea,ha ha).I sat on that ferry for three round trips(I don't remember paying for the second two !),and I don't know whether it was that unique tang of oil and salt,the general bustle on the River,or the sight of several cargo ships and tankers arriving or leaving,surrounded by their tugs that,I'm sure many of you will recognize the feeling I had of longing to get away,to see what's going on in other places around the world.

Just before I got the Crosville bus back to Warrington at Mann Island,I saw that low flat-topped building(British Shipping Federation) and walked in.I don't really know what for,but inside I saw adverts and notices for The Merchant Navy.I can't explain but I just felt I belonged there.
    Anyway,I saw an ad for Deck Officer Cadet Training,and asked this nice guy at the counter more about it.He looked me up and down,asked me about my age and education,asked me again was I really interested in a career at sea,and picked up the phone! I must have made an impression!
    ""There you go ,lad,ask for Mr.Toby in the Martins Bank Building in Water Street.It was Bibby Line! I didn't have to think about what company to join-it was done for me.And I 'm so glad it was that company-terrific reputation.

This was at 1400 hrs,I had my interview at 1500 with Mr.Toby, a formidable but kindly guy with a black eye-patch(I never told him I was already 'expected' in the Royal Navy!) ,By 1630 ,believe it or not I was back in the BSF having my Medical,including having my ears syringed for the first time!

I got on the bus with my head spinning and my ears ringing but very happy.This was what being an adult was all about-shaping and taking decisions about one's destiny.I was 17.

My father,being a policeman and a former ex-serviceman(Royal Marine) wasn't that chuffed,especially as he thought a career in the Royal Navy would have been better.

I of course I had to tell the RN Recruiting Office of my decision,I thought I might be court-martialled-even though I hadn't exactly joined(ha ha).Then they tried to dissuade me from joining the MN.I was not for turning.

So,thank you British Shipping Federation,Mann Island,Liverpool,and to that gentleman behind the counter that day for starting my career at sea in such a positive manner.I am very grateful.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much. Sorry for the delay in writing. I am on holiday in England doing some family meeting and research.
    He died 6 months before I was born.
    It is nice to know he left a positive impression.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast