Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge destroyed by a containership

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bridge destroyed by a containership

Knock on effect of Baltimore's port closure has container ships diverting to other ports to discharge their cargos with added costs to suppliers.
    Rgds
    J.A
    https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/28/worl...companies.html

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#40 Thanks your post Thomas , I have no real feelings on what is said on here until see if want to the results of the official Enquiry. Even then will have my own doubts on the amount of honest detail revealed. Those who have participated in any official enquiry will know what I am talking about , the biggest bug bear is the media and the manner in which they report the findings and taken statements out of context to support their own way they want it to appear to the general public. I can only repeat once again my own experiences of the disaster I was involved in and have copies of the original statements made to police and authoritys and which never appeared in the media who jumped in with both feet with opposing views and at time would of caused too much heart break to the family’s of some who died , so was best to leave alone. The initial distress on the 6 July 1988 came from me and was a Pan message , followed within minutes by a Mayday also by yours faithfully . According straight away by the media was the RO on structure was sending out msgs. Continually and stuck to his post,which must have given his family some consolation, and was to me uneccessary to change and obviously to the authority’s also. So excuse my wariness of reading press reports with tongue in cheek. People hear and take note of what they want to believe and the media know this and act accordingly. What we as ex seafarers put on here is only what we expect may have happened on that contest between ship and bridge , and will be up to the enquiry how true and forthcoming they are with the information they have. Let’s hope they are up to the job . Did you catch any Lobsters last time out ? Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th March 2024 at 12:17 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#42. For your ref. Paragraph taken from original true statement “ On the initial explosion which occurred about 2200 hours. I immediately sounded the man overboard alarm from the bridge. I then put out a PAN PAN, PAN PAN,on vhf Ch. 16 saying there was an explosion on Piper Alpha and for all ships to keep Ch.16 clear. I shortly after within 2 minutes , put out a Mayday saying explosion on Piper Alpha , I omitted to say Mayday Relay in the heat of the moment , however this was stated to the DTI at a later date.”
    As far as I am aware the control room was wiped out extremely early in the disaster and I had no communication with such , JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th March 2024 at 03:28 AM.
    R575129

5. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reported today that there are ten containers on board with 'explosive' material in them.

But the report we will see will come from the media, their version of the report.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was it one of Stricks years ago which had an explosion think it was up the Persian Gulf at the time , she was a dry cargo ship and had a small box of toe puff on board. Now that’s a good title for a commodity on one of your Castle ( won’t say boats in case Ivan looking in ) vessels John . Or could remind some of the offshore workers the difference between a tow job and a toe job. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#17 I think this is how conspiracy theory’s start , be cautious, who knows where it will end. The press do enough without any help.
    Doug

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23 How comfortable is your arm chair John? Mine is pretty comfortable and it reclines. All joking aside it is a terrible disaster and as always any loss of life is sad. Lack of common sense is at the root of a lot incidents It was somewhat lucky it happened in the wee small hours.
    Doug

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hardie View Post
    #23 How comfortable is your arm chair John? Mine is pretty comfortable and it reclines. All joking aside it is a terrible disaster and as always any loss of life is sad. Lack of common sense is at the root of a lot incidents It was somewhat lucky it happened in the wee small hours.
    Doug
    Yes , I know , I know. I still think that something just does not seem right in the whole affair .

14. Likes thomas michael, Doug Hardie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #42
    good afternoon, your reply to my query was much of what i expected it to be, Your known derision of the reporters and vendors of the written or verbal news prior to and after the fact is well documented. And your comments on the 1988 tragedy go some way in explaining why your disdain for the said purveyors of the misinformation still exists until this very day,
    But like you i do not trust these same outlets and is why i couldnt believe the TV marine expert reporting of the dali running into the bridge and was ending with accusations of a possible third party and alluding to a conspiracy theory.
    although i have since watched a interview with a person from the port authority whom states the investigators should check the company whom re-bunkered the ship, as they have received complaints about bad fuel oil. ( now theres a point of view worth its salt )
    as for lobster pots whilst i have run over many of them, i do not suffer the obvious problems, because i have a long keel with a propeller encompassed by the rudder, which upto now has seen me go right over the top of them, i have had crabs though along with a dose of gonalong way
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards the bad fuel , it was normal practice when I was at sea that the Cheng took and received samples of what was loaded when taking bunkers. So all things being equal it should be easy enough to verify, that is if the usual practice of seamen was carried out in this instant. Cheers JS.
    R575129

17. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast