Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Deck Certification

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Deck Certification

#20 Re the deck auxiliaries was that Clarke Chapman Noel ? JS
    Remember nearly all the deck steam winches in the 50s and 60s were made by them, with progress and the oil baths appeared on the scene think they also were made by same. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th April 2024 at 10:31 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #20 Re the deck auxiliaries was that Clarke Chapman Noel ? JS
    Remember nearly all the deck steam winches in the 50s and 60s were made by them, with progress and the oil baths appeared on the scene think they also were made by same. JS
    Aye, that was Clarke Chapmans(Clarkies). Don't know much about their progress but I know they got into cranes. Don't know what they do now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Kelly View Post
    Aye, that was Clarke Chapmans(Clarkies). Don't know much about their progress but I know they got into cranes. Don't know what they do now.
    Clarke Chapman were always into cranes, even built railway cranes. They got into nuclear also and were eventually taken over by rolls royce.
    All gone now, they had a huge site either side of the Felling bypass, with a very large multistorey office block. My best mate was a metallurgist there most of his workin life, ended up with RR Nuclear working on subs, two weeks on and off coining it in.

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Clarke Chapman were always into cranes, even built railway cranes. They got into nuclear also and were eventually taken over by rolls royce.
    All gone now, they had a huge site either side of the Felling bypass, with a very large multistorey office block. My best mate was a metallurgist there most of his workin life, ended up with RR Nuclear working on subs, two weeks on and off coining it in.
    Mostly true, but I left in 1953. There was a crane shop, a pump shop, boiler shop, a high shop, and a windlass bay. At the time the crane shop was insignificant to the deck auxilaries.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mostly true, but I left in 1953. There was a crane shop, a pump shop, boiler shop, a high shop, and a windlass bay. At the time the crane shop was insignificant to the deck auxilaries.
    Last time I was in there at Victoria wks was 89, witness a test on a railway crane that they built for the Mozambique Gov. paid for by UK Gov.
    A big hydaulic swivel they had bought in blew out with the jib at half mast and sprayed hydrailic oil all over the Gov bigwigs. There was plenty **** flying afterwards also

- - - Updated - - -

Noel, you would be familiar with the Bunk then?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Noel when reminiscing some time ago about Gateshead and people just remembered a name you may have gone to school with , a Charlie Crow. Served his time in the shipyard don’t know which one as an electrician married a local girl and emigrated to Canada think in the 60s . When over here visiting his family visited and stayed with us as knew my wife from Rawlings Road school but think he went on to grammar school . We stayed in contact for many years but he died about 5 or 6 years ago . A fine man . Cheers JS.

- - - Updated - - -

Noel when reminiscing some time ago about Gateshead and people just remembered a name you may have gone to school with , a Charlie Crow. Served his time in the shipyard don’t know which one as an electrician married a local girl and emigrated to Canada think in the 60s . When over here visiting his family visited and stayed with us as knew my wife from Rawlings Road school but think he went on to grammar school . We stayed in contact for many years but he died about 5 or 6 years ago . A fine man . Cheers JS.

- - - Updated - - -

R575129

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This has come up 3 times and can’t erase two of them . Can anyone else do this …Thanks. JS
    R575129

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Last time I was in there at Victoria wks was 89, witness a test on a railway crane that they built for the Mozambique Gov. paid for by UK Gov.
    A big hydaulic swivel they had bought in blew out with the jib at half mast and sprayed hydrailic oil all over the Gov bigwigs. There was plenty **** flying afterwards also

- - - Updated - - -

Noel, you would be familiar with the Bunk then?
    No Tony, no idea what the Bunk was.

12. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No Tony, no idea what the Bunk was.
    There is a pub called The Ship, its down on the river bank, on the north side of Saltmeadows rd. Some who were on back shift would do a bunk early an nip down there, it was quite a common practice so the pub beame known as the bunk locally.

14. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#29. Tony although I married a Gateshead girl my knowledge of the pubs there is very sparse and besides that her knowledge would be sparse also as she is strictly teetotal and alcohol has never passed her lips unless some leaked from me. Her being a member of the girls brigade and taken the oath has never broken, after 62 years of marriage she has failed in my case however of doing a conversion job on me. However her family moved down to Whitley Bay when she was 17 and I met her in the Empress Ballroom after being chucked out of the Grosvenor pub now long gone opposite Pops Amusement Arcade on the opposite sidewalk. So my knowledge of Gateshead is very limited only what I picked up from her family nearly 70 years ago. Cheers JS ps to put the cat among the pigeons she was also a Sunday School teacher. Who says like poles repel and unlike poles attract. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th April 2024 at 12:48 AM.
    R575129

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast