Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Deck Certification

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Deck Certification

I have sailed with an engineer who served his time in a sewing machine factory and another who was a Blacksmith only it wasn’t in a shipyard it was a Smithy. He was a professional 3 engineer and by all accounts a good one. He would have been well over a 100 today if still alive. A Chief who I sailed with on a few ships , now dead, was a time served electrician in the shipyard another one well knowing his job. A second mate I had with me when I was mate was a shipwright by trade and had a mates cert. it was his intention to get his masters and then start again in the engine room and try and make history by having both certificates . Whether he succeeded or not I never heard . Hope he did. Cheers JS PS his name was Tom Smith from Wallsend.. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd March 2024 at 10:45 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS
    Here a a few of pics that will bring back memories to you the first has a couple of 18 tonne Stevepris anchors and the second shows the bouys you mentioned. Also a guy coming up to the rig using a Billypew which is not used now in the North Sea they have to use a Frog now (last pic) which you sit strapped inside, I prefered to use a Billypew. I always admired the guys who worked the decks of supply boats especially in the North Sea in Winter.

On another subject when ever I revalidated my C/E ticket I only required one years sea time in the previous five years.

img327.jpg

img148.jpg

100_0304.jpg

UK003715

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Certainly brings back memories of standing on the stern roller trying to lasso those buoys in between getting washed up the deck a good few times before finding success. Never heard of a frog apart from the grown up tadpole. Don’t think I would have the strength or the determination these days for the job. It was a young man’s game. Thanks for picture is easier to explain to people who have not seen the work involved and the many calculated risks taken in getting a satisfactory conclusion. Cheers JS
    PS For those who don’t know what the lasso was comprised of was wire and chain and took 2 men to throw the bight of over the buoy , usually the mate and an AB, , heaving the buoy on deck with a tugger wire ,transferring it to the heavy work wire transferring the anchor pennant to the heavy 33 mm work wire and heaving the anchor on deck . Then the real work started getting it back to the rig. Hoping it was one of the very good crane drivers in the North Sea. JS
    PS usually got a bonus of 5 pounds for every anchor up or down. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd March 2024 at 02:01 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. Previous this was in the days of Pelican hooks as well. Modernisation was pop up pins and sharks jaws a Godsend to those seamen at the centre of the job.JS. Ref. To the transfer of bodies rig/ship and vice versa was always done by basket as shown in your photo and always had to Stand outside the basket holding on to the ropes in case of having to be ditched. The centre of the basket was for your luggage and dirty washing. .Cheers JS…..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd March 2024 at 10:40 PM.
    R575129

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just out of knowing as regards certification of deck certificates of my era 1957 to 1963. How many remember in the orals of ever getting a question in the Orals on how she’s heading e.g. “ your course is north by east a quarter east and a steamers green light bears 2 points on your starboard bow , how is she heading . Your answer would be expected within the 10 points of a 128 point compass rose card . If was an unkind examiner and got out of bed the wrong side he would alter the question by making the green light a sailing ship and throw in the wind direction as well. So your answer would have to be something like she is close hauled on the port tack sailing between such and such. I was lucky as was asked such a question , but saw straight away when he mentioned the wind that the other vessel was in Stays. Would imagine there are very few people today who could even box the compass the old way with its 128 points
    representing the 360 degrees of a circle, and if they can , could they answer such
    questions mentally within a minute or so ? I know today I couldn’t . JS.

Working out if I remember right should have been easy for any practicing seaman in the first case , you reversed the bearing then going 10 points to the right for a green light , a ships sidelight is visible from right ahead to two points abaft the beam so it would have between these two points could have been sailing , however a sailing ship the BOT had to stipulate how close into the wind could sail and they decided on 6 points which is rubbish as know when I was asked to sail on the STS Leuwin from Fremantle could get as close as 2 points into the wind .Every sailing ship has different traits as Keith may be able to confirm . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th March 2024 at 02:53 AM.
    R575129

7. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS Here is an unusual one, a chopper broke down on the helideck of the Treasure Seeker,(early 90s). A chopper mech was sent out and lowered down onto the helideck from a second chopper but he could not repair it so took off the blades and put them inside, it was a Sikorsky 61. The chopper was then backloaded on a supply boat. It made an interesting change from the usual offshore work.

aPuma04.jpg

image01.jpg

image12.jpg

image18.jpg

UK003715

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was involved with one chopper down in the English Channel but was a RN one with 2 fatalities. Same ship but my trip off fortuanetley they were employed with a passenger helo off the Scilly islands with a full load of dead civilians ,over 30 I believe. Not a pretty sight I was told. Never did like helicopters as a means of transport , was the only thing I was pleased about retirement , no more chopper flying as was frequent here joining and leaving ships as well as rigs. Cheers JS.
    Also involved with a downed Tornado aircraft in the Irish Sea , had to recover bodies 2, and also the wreckage as was still on the secret list at the time. JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th March 2024 at 02:34 PM.
    R575129

10. Likes J Gowers, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All a bit academic to us 1% ers!
    Keep the faith
    RMcC

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 How good to hear your still around Ray, gives a bit of incentive to know there are still those around who speak the same language and have the same or similar memories. There will be quite a few who will remember the years of dedication you yourself put into the industry and will wish you well. Memory’s are the last thing to go one hopes , hope this finds you still champing at the bit and well. Also to know you are still around to correct others mistakes, and give others the wealth of your experience. Much of the offshore Industry owes its success to people like you who were there in the early stages . Bon voyage good to know still there. Best Regards . John Sabourn.
    R575129

14. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    The same would apply to many joining a motorship, they may not have come across anything much bigger than a bus engine.
    I seved my time building steam deck auxilaries like Winch, Windlass, Capstans and as a junior engineer was sent first to a triple expansion Sam boat. Next ship was a twin-screw diesel powered ship. I had never seen a diesel engine before in my life and it was certainly a culture shock. I was never posted to a steam-ship again while at sea.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast