Thread: Millitary and Work History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Millitary and Work History

Hiya, New member and first post. Thank you for adding me
    I am fairly new to family research, but i am fine with Family history, but i really struggle navigating Military and Work history research. I haven't got a clue where to start, where to look, what to search for and the National Archives site is just a minefield to me.

Ive been trying to find my Great Grandfathers tug boat Master Mariner work history for over year, Robert Davison, born 15th March 1857, died 12th October 1936. he had been on the Wearside shipping for over 60 years, 40 of which was with Lambton shipping, i now believe is Tanfield Steam shipping company. He is credited with saving many lives and id love information on his work, boats and any information on what he did to save the lives, we believe as part of the Merchant Navy during WW1 rescuing ships.

His son Walter (Harding, but not in Navy records) Davison, born 2nd November 1894 and Died August 1978 signed up for the Merchant Navy in 1914, i have his register, but then i have him in the Peace Parade photograph in a soldiers uniform in Fawcett Street Sunderland 1920, and i cannot find any info ion him either for his WW1 records. I have his WW2 info for the DLI which he signed up for in 1926.

I do have a couple of pictures, one of Robert, the Master Mariner and his son my Granda Walter, in the Peace parade, and his Merchant Navy registration. I do have a one of him with his regiment marching but its too big to upload.

Granda MN reg.jpg
    Peace Parade 2.jpg
    IMG-20210422-WA0003.jpg

Any tips, where to search, what to enter would be really appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

Trish

Both born and died in Sunderland.
    Last edited by Trish Corner; 11th February 2024 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Millitary and Work History

Hello Trish
    We will try and assist where we can, so hopefully in the next few days something will come up.
    Firstly though can i please have where your G Grandfather was from, this is to help and clarify searches!

I see you have a CR10 for the other person, which is his Service Record, but i only see basic entry, details and no Ship Numbers which is unusual as i am sure that he was on a few Ships, So this will also have to be looked into.
    Will await your reply
    Thank You

PS Did Robert perhaps live in Sunderland ? I somehow think it may well be . He is registered on the Tug Lumley which was one of the Lambton Shipping Company Tugs at one stage .
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2024 at 09:08 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Trish Corner thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Allan Blacks was another Sunderland cargo ship Company had nothing to do with them did he ? Or are they out of sync. As regards the DLI they fought in the Korean War the wife’s cousin was there as a national serviceman and in later years was their Colonel in Chief before being disbanded as well as being the Mayor of Durham. A bloke called John Lightley. He died 20 or so years ago . He would of been the bloke for knowledge of the DLI as lived and breathed it still. However you never know who is going to pop up with info. Worth having, best of luck. JS
    R575129

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Trish Corner thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good afternoon, he was from Monkwearmouth in Sunderland. Lived in Wickham street and died in Denbigh Ave. I have been searching for his work on tug boats for over a year, and as mentioned in my post, I have no idea where to start. I've emailed many museums, sites and ports I've lost count.
    I really appreciate the help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, sorry I don't understand what a CR10 is. Ha! Walter, Roberts son is the one in both the Merchant Navy registration and the picture of him marching in Sunderland. Looks like an army uniform not a Navy one. This is where I'm stuck on hhim, where was he, what did he do, what regiment was he in. I have all his 2nd ww records, just nothing for WW1.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2024 at 09:08 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #1. Allan Blacks was another Sunderland cargo ship Company had nothing to do with them did he ? Or are they out of sync. As regards the DLI they fought in the Korean War the wife’s cousin was there as a national serviceman and in later years was their Colonel in Chief before being disbanded as well as being the Mayor of Durham. A bloke called John Lightley. He died 20 or so years ago . He would of been the bloke for knowledge of the DLI as lived and breathed it still. However you never know who is going to pop up with info. Worth having, best of luck. JS
    Hi I have no Idea on his work, that is what Ive been searching for, with no luck for over a year. I have been sent an article which i have saved, and it shows a whole load of information on him. As for my grandad Walter, he was in the DLI in WW2, but signed up to the Merchant Navy in WW1 which is the information i cannot locate, apart from the pictures i have posted of his registration card and picture and also of the peace parade in Sunderland 1920. he is not showing up on the absent voters registers either apparently so i'm pretty stuck on his WW1 regiment/whereabouts

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a Pic of the Ship Lumley which Davison , R was on and Master of.
    Cheers

Lumley 1907 (tynetugs.co.uk)

Reference: BT 400/3826/25
    Description: Ship: Lumley; Official number: 125432.
    Robert Davison; rank/rating, Master; year of birth, 1858; place of birth, Sunderland; previous ship, same.
    Jobling Hutchinson; rank/rating, Mate; year of birth, 1870; place of birth, Sunderland; previous ship, same.

The Ship Number shown on the CR10 Document for Walter is the HARALD CASPAR Built 1919 in West Hartlepool.

Ship Harald Casper , official number: 142754. When built: 1918. Registry closed: 1926. | The National Archives
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2024 at 09:09 PM.

R697530

12. Thanks Trish Corner thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re Walter

Merchant Navy seamen of the First World War - The National Archives

This is a guide to finding records of merchant seamen who served during the First World War. It is very difficult to find information about an individual merchant seaman during the war as the registers that were kept to record service have not survived.
    Some merchant seamen may have seen service with the Royal Naval Reserve, refer to our research guide for advice on searching for records.

The missing registers

The Merchant Navy began to register its seamen again, after decades of not doing so, in 1913. Names and other details were entered into the Central Indexed Register, also known as the Fourth Register of Seamen. However, the entries for 1913 to 1917 and all but the last two months of 1918 were destroyed, so for the war years you are left with medal records and the agreements and crew lists – unless your seaman was an apprentice or died in service in which case there may be a separate record.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2024 at 09:02 PM.

R697530

14. Thanks Trish Corner thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You say he was from Sunderland.
    Some years ago tracing relis of an earlier generation I made contact with Sunderland council.
    They did have a very comprehensive library of such persons,. may be worth a try there.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks Trish Corner thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    This is a Pic of the Ship Lumley which Davison , R was on and Master of.
    Cheers

Lumley 1907 (tynetugs.co.uk)

Reference: BT 400/3826/25
    Description: Ship: Lumley; Official number: 125432.
    Robert Davison; rank/rating, Master; year of birth, 1858; place of birth, Sunderland; previous ship, same.
    Jobling Hutchinson; rank/rating, Mate; year of birth, 1870; place of birth, Sunderland; previous ship, same.

The Ship Number shown on the CR10 Document for Walter is the HARALD CASPAR Built 1919 in West Hartlepool.

Ship Harald Casper , official number: 142754. When built: 1918. Registry closed: 1926. | The National Archives
    Fabulous!! Thank you so much!! ��������