Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Header re. RFA crews.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Header re. RFA crews.

I've only just read that header about Singapore and RFA in 1964, it reminded me of my trip on the City of Ely in about 1962.
    We seemed to visit lots of places to deliver stuff to the British army, Middle East and Far East. I remember when paying off, many of the crew were up in arms about not getting extra money for going to these places. I was just a youngster then, and was only interested in getting off the boat and going home, as it had been a bad experience for most of the deck and engine crew.
    I remember the union blokes arguing the case for more money and being told by the mate (or whoever doing the arguing) that we didn't go to some of the places mentioned. I remember going to them places, and seeing and speaking to armed British soldiers, especially in and around Borneo.
    I always remember the older blokes talking about some of those places being a bit dodgy while we were dropping cargo off in them. One place was attacked the day after we left, but I can't remember it's name. Those older ABs often seemed a bit concerned as to where we were at times, but it didn't seem to worry me, due to being so young I suppose.
    I'm not looking for any answers, it's just that seeing that header made some memories leap into my mind. I think most payed off with a DR, although I'd been a good boy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Header re. RFA crews.

Hi Johnny.
    I have put this on before. I was on the Wave Baron in 52, was in some port in Burma or somewhere around there might have been Malaya. Me and my mate going ashore a walking along this road when these British troops came racing across the road, an officer asked us what the hell we were doing there, we said going for a drink, he said don't you know there's a bloody war on here. Du. WE never got any extra money either, but then we didn't even think about it.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a post a few years ago about the East of Suez bonus. I had heard about it but never received and was no wiser about it even though I read most of the replies to the post. My first 4 years at sea was mainly in the mystic east as well. They were only words to me.
    The galley Radio was also a medium of false information. JS
    R575129

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is some info, but I reckon you all know that 'RFA' seamen received the 'Military Veterans' pin on lapel badge, but were not given a 'Merchant Navy' one.

Fouro.

7. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got one of those badges Fouro and was never in the RFA . Came in place of the Free MN badge being advertised by the MNA . The paperwork was from the MOD awarded for veteran of HM armed forces as says on badge and with the dates of service if remember and ever find the paperwork. Cheers JS

PS That was for working for 4 years for the taxpayer. The other 46 never got the MN one.JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd December 2023 at 10:40 AM.
    R575129

9. Thanks Fouro, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

merchantmen did the job got no recogition and still do not,rfa were best jos in merch fellas,always remember the banyans where hook was dropped crew went to uninabited island with free cases of beer yahoooooooo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re #5
    John,
    I remember reading you were aboard a Royal Navy ship assisting the crew.

Fouro.

12. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 you may be getting a bit mixed up there Fouro. Could be Naval party 1007 you are referring to where the crew who worked the ship from A to B were MN. The technical people who looked after the ships fitted diving systems were RN , most visitors or passengers to vessel undergoing special courses were special forces from Western Alliance countries. Or it could of been a post on doing sea trials and handing over a conversion vessel from a offshore vessel to an armed gunboat and patrol vessel for the Falklands area of dispute. Which was a work up in the Bristol Channel for 3 days where all the systems were checked
    before the red came down and the white ensign went up. Cheers and thanks for your noticing. Regards and seasons greetings. JS
    As regards the naval party vessel the bridge , engine room ,and deck were manned by the usual complement of merchant seamen. The hydraulics and and all the diving systems including the various gases , diving bell and clump
    Were maintained by RN petty officers the naval surgeon was RN together with the Diving officer and about 6 permanent saturation divers. Ship was capable of putting a 3 man team down to a 1000 feet depth, don’t think even today however this has ever been done outside of a submarine. Or a Jim suit. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th December 2023 at 10:08 PM.
    R575129

14. Thanks Doc Vernon, Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those interested in merchant seamen of the past and possibly to a certain extent at the present, should just google naval parties of the R.N. 1942 to 1991 , it may just broaden their outlook as to other types of shipping that their forefathers may have been involved in.Even the np 1007 I was involved with is there but it won’t tell you the itemised work she did. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th December 2023 at 01:17 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Foruo
    The badge that I got from the M.O.D. was a merchant navy flag background, with a crown and HM Armed forces , and Veteran across the bottom.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

17. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast