Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Merchant women seafarers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant women seafarers

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Pratt View Post
    Thanks, I have a great sense of humour, but I just don’t drink alcohol when at sea, the job was more important ,never knew when an emergency would occur. my biggest critics were the Junior officers,
    You'd have to put that down to their inexperience of life, not excusing or condoning their behavior or attitude, but put it down to them being unable to cope with decent female companionship after their exploits ashore with a different kind of female companionship and being embarrassed by their exploits ashore

2. Thanks Valerie Pratt thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the course of my research for Churchill's Merchant Ships at War (yet to be published) the Introductory Chapter includes the following which may be of interest:

The role of women in the merchant navy often fails to receive the recognition it deserves. Traditionally, women sailed as "merchant seamen" aboard ocean liners and larger passenger carrying vessels, usually as Chief Stewardesses, Stewardesses or Assistant Stewardesses but also working in the laundries, in nursing (as Nursing Sisters), in child care roles and as assistants in the on-board shops - until the reduction in passenger traffic removed the requirement for all but a tiny number of these roles. Some 50 women seafarers lost their lives when their ships were attacked and sunk. One such was Lily (or Lillie) Ann Green, a Stewardess awarded a King's Commendation for Brave Conduct for her actions when the liner Andalucia Star was torpedoed and sunk off West Africa in 1942. A small number of women sailed as Radio Officers. One or two women sailed as "Engineer Officers," for example Victoria Drummond (2nd Engineer).
    On 25 August 1940, Victoria Drummond was serving aboard the SS Bonita, sailing for America with a cargo of china clay, when her ship was attacked by German bombers in the Atlantic 400 miles from land. Victoria ordered the engine-room crew to leave, then remained alone at her post keeping the engines running at full power in spite of damage from the attack. Her courage was recognised with the Order of the British Empire and the Lloyd's War Medal for Bravery at Sea.
    The Citation for the MBE published in the London Gazette on 9 July 1941 reads:
    Miss Victoria Alexandrina Drummond, Second Engineer.
    The ship was attacked for thirty-five minutes by a bomber, when 400 miles from land, but by skilful handling many hits were avoided.
    When the alarm was sounded, Miss Drummond at once went below and took charge. The first salvo flung her against the levers and nearly stunned her. When every- thing had been done to increase the ship's speed she ordered the engine-room and stoke-hold staff out. After one attack the main injection pipe just above her head started a joint and scalding steam rushed out. She nursed this vital pipe through the explosion of each salvo, easing down when the noise of the aircraft told her that bombs were about to fall, and afterwards increasing steam.
    Her conduct was an inspiration to the ship's company, and her devotion to duty prevented more serious damage to the vessel.
    Ironically the S.S. Bonita was a Panamanian registered vessel and not part of the British merchant fleet.

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Valerie Pratt liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should have added four LLoyds War Medals for Bravery at Sea were awarded to women, Miss Victoria Drummond, Miss M. E.Ferguson, Miss E. M. Owen, and Mrs. E. Plumb.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the 1970's or there abouts the wee beasty company S.S.M had a couple of stewardesses onboard one of their ships that called at Newcastle N.S.W, and the old ( I mean old ) Q doctor was not a very happy chappy and was getting a bit hot under the collar when the two girls were late in showing up for medical exam, but he got more than he bargained for as they walked into the salon, one lifted her top, no bra, and said where is this old geezer I have to show myself to? The exam was quickly over, and the story spread far and wide on the water front.
    Fred S
    R518224

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5