Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alfred Holt/Blue funnel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alfred Holt/Blue funnel

https://splash247.com/in-shipping-wh...bt-dont-doubt/
    Think this just about explains the demise of British shipping companies.
    Rgds
    J.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alfred Holt/Blue funnel

John.
    I have just finished for the second time the life story of Admiral and eventually Vi count Horatio Hornblower, he was one of the instigators of the P&O plus steam and propeller driven ships, until a few years ago I thought he was just a story on Video.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought the same Des , Hornblower was a figment of someone’s fertile imagination , you’re not getting mixed up with Horatio Nelson are you . If so you may fail the Geriatic Test. Off to the senility bin this morning with the wife , hope they don’t start on me as well JS
    PS didn’t CS Forrester write the Hornblower books . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th October 2023 at 01:08 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are confused, the original 'Hornblower' was a steward on a UCL ship. LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes John Pruden, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is this a new record ? John posts an interesting link about one of the best known British shipping companies and so far the response is Hornblower, Nelson and some steward on a UCL ship.

As the article mentioned as soon as Blue Flu went public the writing was on the wall P&O is another company that sold it's soul.

The Bibby family have the right idea. They are still a privately owned compnay and have a work force of over 1300.

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/compa...04-96#overview

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Is this a new record ? John posts an interesting link about one of the best known British shipping companies and so far the response is Hornblower, Nelson and some steward on a UCL ship.

l]
    We seafarers mourn the loss of ALL our shipping companies, not just those who considered themselves elitist, with Blue Flue who considered themselves being the most elite, both shoreside and seagoing; but alas could not read the future market, like so many others. Also those in charge being the benefactors of their deceased predecessors hard work but lacking the foresight of said predecessors turned to what they thought was the 'easy buck' path and to hell with loyalty to its own employees and the country with its requirement for a viable Merchant Navy. Why was it so many large British shipping companies failed to read the future of sea transport and its necessity in supplying an ever increasing world wide population, the only answer was short term greed in a short term building boom.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As i have posted before, an Island nation without its own merchant fleet is madness, dependent on other nations, we never learn. We have become soft in relying others to supply us, not many years ago our dear french neighbours threatened to cut off our electric supply !!
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    As i have posted before, an Island nation without its own merchant fleet is madness, dependent on other nations, we never learn. We have become soft in relying others to supply us, not many years ago our dear french neighbours threatened to cut off our electric supply !!
    I recall tinking exactly the same at the time of the Falklands campaign, there were not enough suitable British flag vessels to support the task force. so many foreign flag were vessels hired at huge expense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They couldn’t equal the same effort today Tony.everything the Navy could requisition they requestioned mostly offshore vessels and harbour tugs , foreign vessels were chartered at astronomical rates . I was there when the fleet sailed from Portsmouth and there when they came back. The Royal Yacht which officially is earmarked as a hospital ship was not brought in as such and I heard various stories why not. But believe if lost it would have been a big target and a big uplift to the enemy if she was lost , that was one of the stories the other one was the costing of such as apparently fuel wise she was a guzzler , these however were rumours. It was a very motley fleet of ships that I saw sailing from Portsmouth , of course they were joined by other vessels from the likes of Southhampton and Plymouth. Today would be a lot harder to raise such a flock of ships . Personally I think Merchant Shipping should have been nationalised regardless of the old feelings of most against such happening. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th October 2023 at 12:27 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan why do you seem to have a downer on Blue Funnel line . While the company was still in the control of the Holt family they treated their crews well and looked out for their well being. I suppose a lot of liner companies did similar.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast